The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford and being in a uni at the same time

Just want to know if is it possible to start my first year undergraduate at a uni and applying to Oxford at the same time . Also, if I can have my reference done by a teacher of my school and not the tutor of my uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mikadonuts
Just want to know if is it possible to start my first year undergraduate at a uni and applying to Oxford at the same time . Also, if I can have my reference done by a teacher of my school and not the tutor of my uni.

It would be better to accept that fact you didn't get into Oxford and move on. If you can't move on, then the grown up thing to do would be to take a gap year and reapply.

Having started a degree elsewhere, Oxford would not accept you as a 'transfer': you'd have to start as a fresher. The reference would need to come from your uni tutor, not the school.
(edited 4 years ago)

why? why do you want oxford so bad?
Original post by KatheO11
why? why do you want oxford so bad?

Because I really like the module of the course I want there and I think that Oxford is quiet a charming city also I really love the architecture of the uni. So I would be quiet happy to study and live there and it is not only about prestige.
Original post by Reality Check
It would be better to accept that fact you didn't get into Oxford and move on. If you can't move on, then the grown up thing to do would be to take a gap year and reapply.

Having started a degree elsewhere, Oxford would be unlikely to accept you as a 'transfer', or even as a fresher. Even if they did, the reference would need to come from your uni tutor, not the school.

All in all, this isn't going to fly.

But I don’t want to take a gap year because I love studying and I’d feel bad if I do so also it is okay for me to redo my year at Oxford but why do I need to have my reference done by my uni the deadline for Oxford are quiet early and I don’t know if they could put relevant things on it because they will not know me well
But I don’t want to take a gap year because I love studying and I’d feel bad if I do so also it is okay for me to redo my year at Oxford but why do I need to have my reference done by my uni the deadline for Oxford are quiet early and I don’t know if they could put relevant things on it because they will not know me well

OK, let me be clearer for you.

If you start elsewhere, Oxford will consider an application from you, but your current institution would need to 'release' you, and Oxford would be looking to get a reference from your uni.

See here:

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/~/can-i-apply-for-an-undergraduate-degree-course-if-i-am-already-studying-at
It’s possible. I’ve reapplied and just had my interview at Oxford last week.
Original post by Anonymous

Really ? Was your reference donne by a tutor at your university or your school teacher
It's possible, a friend of mine from 1st year applied to Oxford while studying our course. He got in, finished the year with a 1st, and left to start again as a fresher at Oxford. He attended Harris Manchester. He got his references from our uni lecturers.
Original post by Jgradschool
It's possible, a friend of mine from 1st year applied to Oxford while studying our course. He got in, finished the year with a 1st, and left to start again as a fresher at Oxford. He attended Harris Manchester. He got his references from our uni lecturers.

But how did his lecturers wrote a reference to him because Oxford admission are quiete early so the tutors can not know us a lot and write relevant things in which uni he was?
But how did his lecturers wrote a reference to him because Oxford admission are quiete early so the tutors can not know us a lot and write relevant things in which uni he was?

Our class sizes were small, we had quite a lot of interaction with our lecturers, and we finished a round of formative assessments by the time he applied. Comparatively, he was in quite a unique position compared to other applicants in the same position.

At what uni are you studying? What course? Was it easy to explain to your uni that you applied to Oxford ? Was your reference done from someone of your uni?
At what uni are you studying? What course? Was it easy to explain to your uni that you applied to Oxford ? Was your reference done from someone of your uni?

I asked my sixth form tutor to write the reference for me so my uni doesn’t know anything about me reapplying. I’m currently studying at UCL.
I asked my sixth form tutor to write the reference for me so my uni doesn’t know anything about me reapplying. I’m currently studying at UCL.

So Oxford doesn’t know that you study at UCL? They think you are in a gap year ?
So Oxford doesn’t know that you study at UCL? They think you are in a gap year ?

I included it in my personal statement and explained why I wanted to study at Oxford instead.
I included it in my personal statement and explained why I wanted to study at Oxford instead.

Ah okay and they didn’t mind that your personal statement was made by your school teacher? Also will you need other entry requirements or your A-levels are enough?
And if you are accepted what will you do , you are going to tell UCL or just drop out without giving a reason ?
*reference
For what it's worth, I did this too whilst at UCL (but for Cambridge) and about a month in around interview time I realised that UCL was where I was meant and wanted to be so pulled out of the application round. Best thing I ever did :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
For what it's worth, I did this too whilst at UCL (but for Cambridge) and about a month in around interview time I realised that UCL was where I was meant and wanted to be so pulled out of the application round. Best thing I ever did :smile:

You did this on your first year of undergrad?
You did this on your first year of undergrad?

yes first year

Quick Reply

Latest