The Student Room Group

Is computer science for me?

I am in year 13 and want to apply for computer science but I’m having doubts. How would I be able to know if compsci is the right degree for me?
CS isn't all about coding, but if you like coding and/or maths and/or problem solving in general then you may like CS
have you done any coding before?
I doubt it, hon.
Original post by HasanQ585
CS isn't all about coding, but if you like coding and/or maths and/or problem solving in general then you may like CS
have you done any coding before?

I’ve taught myself the basics of html a while ago. Thats the most I’ve ever done
Original post by SimpleButYetMad
I’ve taught myself the basics of html a while ago. Thats the most I’ve ever done

Have a look at python
Reply 5

HTML isnt a programming lanuage just to let you know :smile:
I am in year 13 and want to apply for computer science but I’m having doubts. How would I be able to know if compsci is the right degree for me?

Hello :smile:

Computer Science is a degree that can take you anywhere! The skills you'll develop are now the foundation of every aspect of modern life.

So, if you're into problem-solving and have a keen eye for detail, it might just be the right degree for you.

I thought you might find this blog post helpful :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions about our Computer Science courses!

Thanks

Becky
Original post by University of Bradford
Hello :smile:

Computer Science is a degree that can take you anywhere! The skills you'll develop are now the foundation of every aspect of modern life.

So, if you're into problem-solving and have a keen eye for detail, it might just be the right degree for you.

I thought you might find this blog post helpful :smile:

Let me know if you have any questions about our Computer Science courses!

Thanks

Becky

Hm. I'm not sure BCS accreditation is necessary a mark of quality, or a factor applicants should care about. It only really means that you've taken an ethics module or two. Oxford University's CompSci course is not BCS accredited, and their course is most definitely world class.

Chartered status is not required for most software engineering jobs anyway.

Depends. There are generally two types of CS courses, theoretical and practical. Theoretical CS courses have more maths than programming, and these courses are at more traditional universities e.g. Edinburgh.

Then there are more practical courses which have more programming, and these are generally at less traditional/newer universities.

There are pros and cons to both
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest