The Student Room Group

At last, some common sense.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quady
I'm all for getting on and running the country, getting brexit done and getting independence done.

No need for this stuff to be sequential.

Unfortunately none of the other stuff will happen until Brexit has occurred.
Reply 21
Original post by ColinDent
and would put the whole union in doubt.

Good. Some of us leavers actually want to leave! Not to remain in a rotten union.
Reply 22
Unfortunately none of the other stuff will happen until Brexit has occurred.

Why not???
Reply 23
Original post by Quady
Good. Some of us leavers actually want to leave! Not to remain in a rotten union.

I take it you're talking about the UK as opposed to the EU.
Reply 24
Original post by Quady
Why not???

Because Brexit will always overpower everything else, have you not noticed these last 3 and a half years?
Reply 25
I take it you're talking about the UK as opposed to the EU.

Correct, need to get out of both and get back control.
Reply 26
Original post by Quady
Correct, need to get out of both and get back control.

Fair enough, that would be your choice.
So you're all for getting brexit sorted and getting on with running the country then, great.

Personally? Not really, I've only highlighted to you that this amendment/law is useless... as had been the previous deadlines.
Reply 28
Because Brexit will always overpower everything else, have you not noticed these last 3 and a half years?

I've noticed there has been barely any parliamentary activity. No idea why DoH, Home Office and DCMS.... ect couldn't have brought forward legislation while Cabinet Office/DExEU and mebby DIT got on with brexit.
Reply 29
Fair enough, that would be your choice.

We will see. Seems Johnson might not agree with having a legal vote on the issue.
It's a tokenistic gesture done for the easy headlines.

Judging by this thread, Brexit supporters are falling for it.
Reply 31
Original post by Kitten in boots
It's a tokenistic gesture done for the easy headlines.

Judging by this thread, Brexit supporters are falling for it.

Is it though? Remainers such as yourself like to think that but in reality a mainly remain supporting parliament has been pushing back the leaving date, we no longer have that.
Reply 32
Original post by SHallowvale
Personally? Not really, I've only highlighted to you that this amendment/law is useless... as had been the previous deadlines.

As I've said to Kitten in boots though it's a very different parliament now.
So it seems to be that there will be an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement that will ensure our exit by the end of next year.
Thoughts?

Its a stroke of genius actually. A year is not long enough to negociate a deal and putting hard Brexit back on the tail (which would be electorial suicide) gives Boris the perfect excuse to conceed major concessions to Europe.

The thing we keep forgetting is that the only thing Boris cares about is Boris so he will only do things that work for him. I am beginning to think he isn't quite the Brexiteer we thought.

I still remember that night when he couldn't decide which side to campaign for. The question boiled down to which would be best for him? This issue at stake was irrelivant.
As I've said to Kitten in boots though it's a very different parliament now.

Uh, sure? The people who've moved the deadline this time can do so again.

Have you considered the possibility that this won't speed up the negotiating process and will result in deadlock come a years time?
Reply 35
Original post by ByEeek
Its a stroke of genius actually. A year is not long enough to negociate a deal and putting hard Brexit back on the tail (which would be electorial suicide) gives Boris the perfect excuse to conceed major concessions to Europe.

The thing we keep forgetting is that the only thing Boris cares about is Boris so he will only do things that work for him. I am beginning to think he isn't quite the Brexiteer we thought.

I still remember that night when he couldn't decide which side to campaign for. The question boiled down to which would be best for him? This issue at stake was irrelivant.

If that's the thought that keeps you happy then that's great, but prepare yourself for some disappointment next year if we don't have a good deal in place.
As it happens I wouldn't mind a small extension but only if a deal is very close, if not then we should just leave.
Reply 36
Uh, sure? The people who've moved the deadline this time can do so again.

Have you considered the possibility that this won't speed up the negotiating process and will result in deadlock come a years time?

Who would move it?
Who would move it?

...the Conservatives themselves, together with the support of the opposition?

I'm fairly confident that there's enough Conservatives out there who don't really want a no deal.
Reply 38
...the Conservatives themselves, together with the support of the opposition?

I'm fairly confident that there's enough Conservatives out there who don't really want a no deal.

I don't think there are, I'd say 10-20 max, and then there are still some Labour MP's and the DUP who would prefer that option.
I don't think there are, I'd say 10-20 max, and then there are still some Labour MP's and the DUP who would prefer that option.

I think even Johnson himself would vote to extend the deadline if a no deal was a real threat. I don't believe he's been genuine in supporting Brexit at all costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending