The Student Room Group

Think I Want Jaw Surgery, how do I get it at 17

Hi for a while my lower jaw has been really bothering me because it’s shorter and from the side i look really goofy and it makes my features such as my nose and stuff look a lot worse. Plus when I bite down it isn’t painful but it is sometimes uncomfortable. I don’t have a defined jaw at all and it doesn’t go well with my face.
As I’ve just turned 17 Can I still get surgery for free and do I need to be quick about it, my family doesn’t have the money to pay for an expensive operation. Who do I talk to and what do I say?

Scroll to see replies

Pic or no advice
Take it if it's free. Hope it gives you the life you want. I've known someone who had jaw surgery and she seems very happy about getting it.
Original post by rcmotorboy
Take it if it's free. Hope it gives you the life you want. I've known someone who had jaw surgery and she seems very happy about getting it.

Just have to add, if it's free, that opportunity has to come from somewhere, so all the best living with the decision later in life.
Last year my dentist referred me to an orthodontic department who then referred me to a hospital to get jaw surgery done. It was all free but I still declined it coz I was scared ffs. But this was because I needed my teeth straightened, so I ended up getting invisaligns instead. My jaw still looks fine though, just wasn’t suitable for metal braces
Reply 5
Original post by OR321
Last year my dentist referred me to an orthodontic department who then referred me to a hospital to get jaw surgery done. It was all free but I still declined it coz I was scared ffs. But this was because I needed my teeth straightened, so I ended up getting invisaligns instead. My jaw still looks fine though, just wasn’t suitable for metal braces

I got off braces a year ago, they straightened my teeth but did nothing to my jaw. After research I’m a bit annoyed because I’d think my jaw should’ve been treated with Blocks etc but yeah I’m afraid of surgery but if given the option for free I’d take it just to boost confidence
Reply 6
Original post by rcmotorboy

yeah at this point its starting to get me down and I think surgery could give me the confidence boost I need
Reply 7
Go to my local and insult the big bloke playing pool. You may need some dental work too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I got off braces a year ago, they straightened my teeth but did nothing to my jaw. After research I’m a bit annoyed because I’d think my jaw should’ve been treated with Blocks etc but yeah I’m afraid of surgery but if given the option for free I’d take it just to boost confidence

Ahh okayy. You’re 17 so it should be free coz I was offered when I was 17 too
Reply 9
Original post by Vinny C
Go to my local and insult the big bloke playing pool.

If he’ll knock my jaw forward sure pal
Sounds like what you’ve got is a receding chin or a ‘weak chin’.

There’s two procedures to fix it: filler injections and a chin implant.

I don’t believe either are covered on the NHS, I’m afraid.
yeah at this point its starting to get me down and I think surgery could give me the confidence boost I need

Have you done research on this? Do you know the risks it can have?
Original post by CTLeafez
Sounds like what you’ve got is a receding chin or a ‘weak chin’.

There’s two procedures to fix it: filler injections and a chin implant.

I don’t believe either are covered on the NHS, I’m afraid.

I also have an overbite, I’m pretty sure a lower jaw is often called a weak chin also
If he’ll knock my jaw forward sure pal

Forward? Sorry Nigel... didn't realise you posted here.
I had an overbite, like you describe, where I didn't have much of a side profile. It affected my confidence and self esteem and I had issues with pain/clicking. I was referred to an orthodentist at 16 where I got braces on (again), they prepped by teeth for surgery so that they would be in alignment. This took a couple of years. At 19 I had my lower jaw broken and brought forward with metal plates and screws put in place. I didn't find the surgery too bad and returned to full contact rugby four and a half months after having the operation. My side profile is much better and I don't even think about it anymore. Mine was covered by the NHS but i'm not sure what the case is now with cutbacks etc. The best thing to do would be to speak to your dentist about a referral to be assessed.
Have you tried mewing? Obviously this is no substitute for medical advice, consult your doctor/ relevant professional.

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Justmac
I had an overbite, like you describe, where I didn't have much of a side profile. It affected my confidence and self esteem and I had issues with pain/clicking. I was referred to an orthodentist at 16 where I got braces on (again), they prepped by teeth for surgery so that they would be in alignment. This took a couple of years. At 19 I had my lower jaw broken and brought forward with metal plates and screws put in place. I didn't find the surgery too bad and returned to full contact rugby four and a half months after having the operation. My side profile is much better and I don't even think about it anymore. Mine was covered by the NHS but i'm not sure what the case is now with cutbacks etc. The best thing to do would be to speak to your dentist about a referral to be assessed.

Looks like I am in the exact same boat you were once in. Will I need to have braces again before surgery for definite, I really want the surgery sooner than 3 years
Looks like I am in the exact same boat you were once in. Will I need to have braces again before surgery for definite, I really want the surgery sooner than 3 years

The length of time for the pre op braces prep will depend on your teeth and what they need to do with them. The way i look at it is that if you really wanted it done and if it really bothers you, then you'd be able to stick it out that long. The end result is worth it.
May be better saving the cash to get it, you always get what you pay for when you get whatever for free.
It all depends on whether you actually need it. If it is deemed to be purely cosmetic, it is unlikely that you would be able to get it for free. The person to see in the first instance would be you dentist.

Quick Reply

Latest