The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) Applicant Chat & FAQ Thread 2020

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the 2020 applicant thread for Manchester Met.

Feel free to introduce yourself and chat to other applicants. To get started you might want to answer some of the following......

What course are you applying for?
Will you be moving away or staying at home?
Are you visiting us/have you visited us at an Open Day?

We are happy to help with any questions you may have about studying with us, so please do not hesitate to ask!

You can also find some really useful information about the university by visiting the links below

We look forward to hearing from you, and good luck with your applications!

MMU TSR Team

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

After recently taking a gap year, I'm hoping to study Biology at Manchester Metropolitan University. However, my achieved grades, BCD, don't match the required grades for the course, BBC-BCC. What I was wondering was, if I produced a strong personal statement, would it still be worth applying for the three year biology course, despite my grades being below expectation? Or should I just bypass the three-year course and go for the foundation year instead?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

After recently taking a gap year, I'm hoping to study Biology at Manchester Metropolitan University. However, my achieved grades, BCD, don't match the required grades for the course, BBC-BCC. What I was wondering was, if I produced a strong personal statement, would it still be worth applying for the three year biology course, despite my grades being below expectation? Or should I just bypass the three-year course and go for the foundation year instead?

Hi there,

We usually ask all applicants to meet our required grades of BBC-BCC, however you are welcome to apply for Year 1 with your achieved grades and your application will be forwarded to the tutor to be assessed on an individual basis, who will look at your personal statement, references and previous grades. Please note that we would require one of your A Levels to be in Biology to be eligible. If the tutor decides that you aren't suitable for the first year, then they will automatically consider you for the Foundation Year.

Hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi there,

We usually ask all applicants to meet our required grades of BBC-BCC, however you are welcome to apply for Year 1 with your achieved grades and your application will be forwarded to the tutor to be assessed on an individual basis, who will look at your personal statement, references and previous grades. Please note that we would require one of your A Levels to be in Biology to be eligible. If the tutor decides that you aren't suitable for the first year, then they will automatically consider you for the Foundation Year.

Hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca

Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response. Fortunately I do have an A-Level in Biology (plus the essential practical pass), and it's reassuring to be told that the tutor will assess my application on an individual basis - I've been told many times that with courses such as Biology, the tutors tend to base their decision of an offer purely on grades predicted/achieved and ignore personal statements. I feel further reassured at the prospect of automatic consideration for the Foundation Year.
Hi, ive also taken a gap year and achieved 3 C's in my A-levels and I'm looking to apply for business, would i be eligible for the course?
Original post by imHannah
Hi, ive also taken a gap year and achieved 3 C's in my A-levels and I'm looking to apply for business, would i be eligible for the course?

Hello there:smile:,

You are welcome to submit an application for one of our Business-related undergraduate courses.
We normally require applicants to meet the required grades BCC-BBC (104 to 112 UCAS tariff points), however we do take into account various factors such as work experience gained through gap years, your motivations for which you have decided to apply for a specific course, previous academic achievements and references. Your application will be assessed on an individual basis and it will be up to the admissions tutors to make an offer, depending on your suitability to the course.

Have you had a chance to come to one of our Undergraduate Open Days? We're going to host the next one on the 23rd November and it is a good opportunity to speak to students on the course, as well as with the course tutors.

I hope this helps :h: & let us know if you need any further advice!

Luca
Hi everyone!

Feel free to introduce yourself and chat to other applicants. To get started you might want to answer some of the following......

We are happy to help with any questions you may have about studying with us, so please do not hesitate to ask!

You can also find some really useful information about the university by visiting the links below

MMU TSR Team

I applied for law at Manchester met and they got back to me with law with foundation year - do you think they would reconsider if I spoke to them about because my predicted grades are above the requirements
Original post by Danny2002
I applied for law at Manchester met and they got back to me with law with foundation year - do you think they would reconsider if I spoke to them about because my predicted grades are above the requirements

Hi there :smile:,

Regarding our LLB(Hons) degree, we require applicants to meet 120 UCAS tariff point through Level 3 study in a relevant academic subject.
For example, we would deem subjects such as English, History, Sciences, Humanities and any other subject that involves academic writing suitable to apply to the course. Therefore we have some exclusions such as Art and Design, Media and Business Studies). Applicants are also required to meet the GCSEs entry requirements, as stated on the course online prospectus.

Regarding our LLB (Hons) degree, we would require applicants to meet both the level 2 and 3 entry requirements in order to be considered for the course. If our Admissions team have offered you the course with the Foundation Year, this may be because, although you have the right amount of UCAS tariff points (120), your qualification(s) may be in a non-relevant subject . We do normally require applicants to have studied at least one academic A-level or completed a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Law or Business Law.

I hope this helps,

Luca
Reply 8
I applied for adult nursing
Original post by Wamoy
I applied for adult nursing

Hello Wamoy,

Happy to read you have applied to BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing! Wishing you the best of luck with your application!
In the meantime, I am happy to help with any questions you may have on the course :biggrin:.

Cheers,

Luca
Hello Wamoy,

Happy to read you have applied to BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing! Wishing you the best of luck with your application!
In the meantime, I am happy to help with any questions you may have on the course :biggrin:.

Cheers,

Luca

How to prepare for nursing interview at mmu
I have applied for the Adult Nursing BSc (Hons), I'll be moving to Manchester and I've visited two open days :smile:
Original post by abiidarkerr
I have applied for the Adult Nursing BSc (Hons), I'll be moving to Manchester and I've visited two open days :smile:

I applied for the same course have an interview also
How to prepare for nursing interview at mmu

Hello there,

If you want to prepare to interview for Adult Nursing, I would advise to firstly have a good understanding about the current challenges and situation in the Healthcare sector to gain a wider picture of the nursing profession. You will also be asked to demonstrate your ability to approach and provide resolution to specific situations.
You will be provided with more information from our Admissions team about the interview format and whether you will need to carry out any pre-interview tasks.

I hope this helps! if you have any other doubts, just give me a shout! :bigsmile:

Luca
Hi everyone!

MMU TSR Team

Hi, i’m applying to do Biology after my gap year ! i got the grade AAB so was really happy ! i’m sure whether to move out or not?
Original post by rebecahwx
Hi, i’m applying to do Biology after my gap year ! i got the grade AAB so was really happy ! i’m sure whether to move out or not?

Hi @rebecahwx :hello:

Cool to hear you're applying to our university to study Biology and well done on your grades! :groovy:
In response to your question, if you are thinking of moving out and applying to our Halls of Residence, you can have a virtual tour of our accommodations here and see if this is something that could appeal to you. Living on campus is an exciting way to meet new people and make friends for life, as well as creating a support network with students that attend your course. It also is a good opportunity to learn invaluable skills that will help you develop your resilience and independence!

I hope this helps:u:. If you have any other questions, just give me a shout!

Cheers,

Luca
Original post by M_Sadiqah
How long does it take to get a reply

Hi @M_Sadiqah :hello:,

It totally depends on your application and whether you have sent in all the information and whether your referees have correctly sent in their reference for you.
We normally aim at around 4 to 6 weeks to provide application outcomes however, depending on the circumstances, this could take slightly longer.

When exactly did you submit your application?

Cheers,

Luca
Hi everyone!

MMU TSR Team

Hii! I sent my application off on friday and have seen on TSR that many people discuss interviews at MMU. Does this still happen, and if so, is it on all courses? I live abroad and would struggle to get back at ahort notice if this is still necessary. Would it be possible to do it via video call?
Hii! I sent my application off on friday and have seen on TSR that many people discuss interviews at MMU. Does this still happen, and if so, is it on all courses? I live abroad and would struggle to get back at ahort notice if this is still necessary. Would it be possible to do it via video call?

Hello there!

We do hold interviews here at Manchester Met, however it will depend on the course you have applied to.
If you browse for your course here and scroll to the Entry Requirements section, it should be outlined whether an interview is required as part of the application process.

Hope this helps :biggrin: If you have any other questions, just give us a shout.

Cheers,

Luca
Hi everyone!

MMU TSR Team

i applied for History and sent my application off on monday, heard back from lincoln and glasgow within days so i was just wondering how long you took? and also if you do interviews for History or not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending