The Student Room Group

Economy SL, or History HL?

Hi!
I am currently choosing my IB subjects for next year. So far, I have:
English Lit HL, Language B HL/SL, Global Politics HL, Maths and Biology SL. My concern is over whether or not I should choose economy SL, or history HL. The dream is to study politics and history, but the school I'm applying to is rumored to have a terrible history teacher, and that people in the class is struggling. Theres not much other option for schools, so this is my only choice.
Because history is a hard subject to get a 7 in, (university course I want requires 766 at HL), should I take history and basically self teach? Or just take economy SL? I could take psychology (available only at SL), but I'm really not interested.
Any help will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by polskadaddle
Hi!
English Lit HL, Language B HL/SL, Global Politics HL, Maths and Biology SL. My concern is over whether or not I should choose economy SL, or history HL. The dream is to study politics and history, but the school I'm applying to is rumored to have a terrible history teacher, and that people in the class is struggling. Theres not much other option for schools, so this is my only choice.
Because history is a hard subject to get a 7 in, (university course I want requires 766 at HL), should I take history and basically self teach? Or just take economy SL? I could take psychology (available only at SL), but I'm really not interested.

Talk to other students and do a pros v cons then choose the most favourable to you.

How are you with economics? How good is the teacher.
Which can you get the best grade in with least effort?
Normally enjoying a subject helps you achieve a better grade.
Have a look what options you are studying as well.
Original post by polskadaddle
Hi!

I do History and Economics HL, so might be able to help a bit! If you need to get a 7 in your third HL, I wouldn't recommend taking History (especially if you don't have a great teacher). Self-studying might work if you're really good at the subject, but you will need your teacher's support for the IA. Economics is generally an easier subject, especially if you did it in your GCSEs/IGCSEs and the IAs are more straightforward. That being said, if you are more passionate about history, you can check with the school about letting you try out a few classes and then decide (most schools allow you to). Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending