The Student Room Group

At last, some common sense.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SHallowvale
I think even Johnson himself would vote to extend the deadline if a no deal was a real threat. I don't believe he's been genuine in supporting Brexit at all costs.

Time will tell I guess, but the importance of the EU believing that no deal is possible is tantamount.
Reply 41
Original post by ColinDent
So it seems to be that there will be an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement that will ensure our exit by the end of next year.
Thoughts?

Why is that "common sense"?
What if there is nearly agreement on a wonderful, productive and universally acclaimed deal, but it just needs another month of negotiation?
Why would anyone restrict their ability to negotiate in such an arbitrary way? Makes no sense at all...
Unless No Deal is actually the desired outcome.
Reply 42
Original post by Quady
In other news, child poverty will be largely sorted next year because the 2010 act will take effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Poverty_Act_2010

So I guess the Tories have been increasing child poverty over the last 9 years in order to make next year's eradication look even more spectacular.
Clever.
Reply 43
Original post by Quady
Good. Some of us leavers actually want to leave! Not to remain in a rotten union.

Tories: the nation will be better and more successful out of an imposed political and economic union!
Tories: the nation will be better and more successful within an imposed political and economic union!
Reply 44
Is it though? Remainers such as yourself like to think that but in reality a mainly remain supporting parliament has been pushing back the leaving date, we no longer have that.

So why the need for this legislation now parliament is overwhelmingly Leave?
You disprove your own point.
Time will tell I guess, but the importance of the EU believing that no deal is possible is tantamount.

I don't think they would need a moved deadline to understand this. BJ has already made it clear he's prepared to leave the EU without a deal. They'll certainly understand that, with his new majority, he'll be able to achieve that if he wants.
If that's the thought that keeps you happy then that's great, but prepare yourself for some disappointment next year if we don't have a good deal in place.
As it happens I wouldn't mind a small extension but only if a deal is very close, if not then we should just leave.

What is a "good" deal? Good for who? Us? Europe or the US?

Where would you compromise? Fishing rights? Workers rights? Human rights? Vommon customers for all those British manufacturers that have just-in-time ordering sysyems?

There is no chance we will leave with no deal. It is back on the table but even a re-energised Tory party isn't going to vote for suicide.

Not really. A deal must be done to avoid no deal. No one wants no deal so let's water down the deal in order to get it through and avoid no deal. Job done!

Boris has already annexed Northern Ireland. Do you really think "Get Brexit Done" means what you think it means?
Reply 48
Original post by ByEeek
What is a "good" deal? Good for who? Us? Europe or the US?

Where would you compromise? Fishing rights? Workers rights? Human rights? Vommon customers for all those British manufacturers that have just-in-time ordering sysyems?

There is no chance we will leave with no deal. It is back on the table but even a re-energised Tory party isn't going to vote for suicide.

Why would you compromise on workers rights and human rights as part of a trade deal with the EU, that makes absolutely no sense.
I suspect we will end up with the original idea of a sort of Canada plus deal, or no deal, I notice that remainers are still attempting to write the chances off but I truly believe that most people just want this finished one way or another and that we will be out of the EU fully by 1st January 2021.
Reply 49
Original post by ByEeek
Not really. A deal must be done to avoid no deal. No one wants no deal so let's water down the deal in order to get it through and avoid no deal. Job done!

Boris has already annexed Northern Ireland. Do you really think "Get Brexit Done" means what you think it means?

Keep on telling yourself that.
Why would you compromise on workers rights and human rights as part of a trade deal with the EU, that makes absolutely no sense.

Why? It is called divergence and is what you want right? For the UK to be able to set its own terms? But if you want free trade with the EU you have to play by their rules, even if those rules dictate things like workers and human rights. Or maybe fishing rights?

Canada plus took 8 years to negociate btw!
Keep on telling yourself that.

Time will tell. You have your majority but you still have to deal with the EU. But I can't help but feel that if in order to leave the EU we had to flatten every building and kill half the population you would go for it on a point of principal.
Reply 52
Original post by ByEeek
Why? It is called divergence and is what you want right? For the UK to be able to set its own terms? But if you want free trade with the EU you have to play by their rules, even if those rules dictate things like workers and human rights. Or maybe fishing rights?

Canada plus took 8 years to negociate btw!

The EU will also have to compromise with what is it's biggest trading partner no?
You're surely still not under the misapprehension that we are merely going to be submissive and cave into all the EU's demands are you, they will also have to compromise, and they will because they know that we will be leaving on 1st January 2021.
Is it really all so difficult for you to understand?
Reply 53
Original post by ByEeek
Time will tell. You have your majority but you still have to deal with the EU. But I can't help but feel that if in order to leave the EU we had to flatten every building and kill half the population you would go for it on a point of principal.

And why prey tell would we have to do that, all that statement shows is what ridiculous thoughts run around your head.
The EU will also have to compromise with what is it's biggest trading partner no?

Hmmmm. Not really. Sure we are Europes biggest trading partner but we are no where near the biggest partner by individual country. For example, Germany exports more to the US, Netherlands, China and France before we appear.

But regardless, the UK only takes 16% of EU goods compared to say 45% of UK goods going to the EU. Who stands to lose the most in a bad deal I wonder?
And why prey tell would we have to do that, all that statement shows is what ridiculous thoughts run around your head.

Not at all. But leaving with no deal would have serious negative implications to everypne in the UK. And for what? So you can feel like you live on an Island again?
Original post by Quady
Just to check....

No change in the law can happen?

Like can another law be passed to invalidate that law?

If they want, but it wouldnt as it would damage the credibility of the government with the voters.
You're surely still not under the misapprehension that we are merely going to be submissive and cave into all the EU's demands are you, they will also have to compromise, and they will because they know that we will be leaving on 1st January 2021.
Is it really all so difficult for you to understand?

The UK is the biggest trading partner? Are you sure?
Reply 58
Original post by ByEeek
Hmmmm. Not really. Sure we are Europes biggest trading partner but we are no where near the biggest partner by individual country. For example, Germany exports more to the US, Netherlands, China and France before we appear.

But regardless, the UK only takes 16% of EU goods compared to say 45% of UK goods going to the EU. Who stands to lose the most in a bad deal I wonder?

The EU could easily lose it's entire existence because of a bad deal, you point out that we aren't any individual countries biggest partner ( although we are possibly Ireland's ?) there are more than a few extremely fragile economies there, and yes that does include Germanies, that would struggle to take the hit.
Just one of those economies failing could bring down the whole house of cards either economically or politically so yes the EU has a great deal to lose here.
Reply 59
Original post by ByEeek
Not at all. But leaving with no deal would have serious negative implications to everypne in the UK. And for what? So you can feel like you live on an Island again?

No the reason for my vote to leave was because I oppose the ever closer union, which would eventually lead to a federal superstate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending