The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Poly vs Posh

Why is there such a stigma between the two Uni's in Newcastle?
(edited 4 years ago)
You mean the university of Newcastle and Northumbria university, right?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
You mean the university of Newcastle and Northumbria university, right?

It used to be Newcastle Polytechnic, as a lot of unis that share a city used to be
Original post by Shimo
It used to be Newcastle Polytechnic, as a lot of unis that share a city used to be

Ohhh that’s something new - I didn’t know that at all. There’s probably stigma because Newcastle will be compared to Northumbria uni because its a russel Group and it has higher grade requirements. Tbh I think Northumbria is a good uni but since it’s a poly uni some people don’t think it’s good, which I don’t get tbh.
Neither one are particularly prestigious tbh.

New Castle is an OK, Russell group...

But it doesn't have the mystique of not even gonna mention the two best RG's, UCL, Imperial, Kings, Warwick.

You could group with with the second tier Russell groups

Led by
Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds...at the last named position.

Or the third tier....led by Southampton (except for engineering where its amazing).
Birmingham
Newcastle
Queen Mary (except for medicine and law it's ****).
Cardiff
Liverpool
You should worry - I went to Oxford Poly (now Oxford Brookes University) so I really know about the great divide!
Original post by Realitysreflexx

But it doesn't have the mystique of not even gonna mention the two best RG's, UCL, Imperial, Kings, Warwick.

Led by

Or the third tier....led by Southampton (except for engineering where its amazing).
Birmingham
Newcastle
Cardiff
Liverpool

Oh dear - your RG ranking is very suspect and doesn't even include them all.

Bath [non-RG] is better than Bristol anyway - RG is a pretty useless way of choosing a uni.
Reply 7
Original post by PetitePanda
Ohhh that’s something new - I didn’t know that at all. There’s probably stigma because Newcastle will be compared to Northumbria uni because its a russel Group and it has higher grade requirements. Tbh I think Northumbria is a good uni but since it’s a poly uni some people don’t think it’s good, which I don’t get tbh.

I think generally the old poly unis are worse than the other uni in the city, even if the poly uni is good in its own right it will overshadowed by the other uni
Original post by Shimo
I think generally the old poly unis are worse than the other uni in the city, even if the poly uni is good in its own right it will overshadowed by the other uni

I totally I agree it being overshadowed and especially with the idea of reputation will make the uni better but that’s not the case for some degrees like it could be great in physics but bad in English language - rankings are just pointless.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Oh dear - your RG ranking is very suspect and doesn't even include them all.

Bath [non-RG] is better than Bristol anyway - RG is a pretty useless way of choosing a uni.

It's not a RG ranking the point was to give examples of where to cluster New Castle, within a framework. And it's very average.

RG is a good starting point though, to see where you can be hopeful of getting a place. If you can't get into a Russell, you surely won't be going to Bath. 😂 But Bath internationally is a bit of a joke.

No one has ever heard of the place.

At least when I tell people when I'm home in Germany that I go to Nottingham they say oh! ROBIN HOOD.

Bath doesn't even have that going for it lol. And no RG either.
It's not a RG ranking the point was to give examples of where to cluster New Castle, within a framework. And it's very average.

RG is a good starting point though, to see where you can be hopeful of getting a place. If you can't get into a Russell, you surely won't be going to Bath. 😂 But Bath internationally is a bit of a joke.

No one has ever heard of the place.

At least when I tell people when I'm home in Germany that I go to Nottingham they say oh! ROBIN HOOD.

Bath doesn't even have that going for it lol. And no RG either.

Don't you find this problem with more or less every uk university except oxbridge and some london ones.

Your friends must be very ignorant - Bath is a Roman town with a MUCH longer history than Nottingham. Your friends know about a made-up character rather than 'real' History - I wouldn't boast about that if I were you!

Bath is highly regarded for Mathematics and Engineering - better than Nottingham and many RG unis.
Your friends must be very ignorant - Bath is a Roman town with a MUCH longer history than Nottingham. Your friends know about a made-up character rather than 'real' History - I wouldn't boast about that if I were you!

Bath is highly regarded for Mathematics and Engineering - better than Nottingham and many RG unis.

In your local knowledge opinion sure, not sure as a UK resident you want to be hanging your hat on roman baths with your current anti Europeanism. 😂

I highly doubt Bath is much better than Nottingham I'm a firm believer that the quality of education is pretty similar within the RG. Except for Oxbridge (Maybe imperial also and LSE) which simply because of amount of content and workload are far more educated.

Bath does nothing special. It has no more affiliations and a much shorter university history. And no campuses abroad to enjoy!

I highly doubt Bath is much better than Nottingham I'm a firm believer that the quality of education is pretty similar within the RG. Except for Oxbridge (Maybe imperial also and LSE) which simply because of amount of content and workload are far more educated.

Bath does nothing special. It has no more affiliations and a much shorter university history. And no campuses abroad to enjoy!

Oh dear - perhaps I need to educate you - I am a senior leader in a selective school and Bath has a great reputation ...

RG is irrelevant for many degrees.
Oh dear - perhaps I need to educate you - I am a senior leader in a selective school and Bath has a great reputation ...

RG is irrelevant for many degrees.

If anything leaning on Highflier research rather then ohhh they will surely take our students because it's a classis system of accepting only privately educated kids to our university. Is hardly something I would want to be educated on.
(edited 4 years ago)
No one

What? I teach is a state school not a Private one - perhaps you need to do some homework!
What? I teach is a state school not a Private one - perhaps you need to do some homework!

Fair enough (my mind inserted independent), but still I'm not particularly impressed by how selective your sixth form is. Or how that qualifies you to judge university quality.
Fair enough (my mind inserted independent), but still I'm not particularly impressed by how selective your sixth form is. Or how that qualifies you to judge university quality.

How do you know anything about my school? Most schools have similar requirements for entry to Sixth form in the UK - perhaps, as I said, you need to do some homework. I've been supporting UCAS for many years and regularly visit unis so probably know far more than the average poster on here.

Led by

Birmingham
Newcastle
Cardiff
Liverpool

Your tier system isn't very accurate. Most people will view universities in your second and third tiers as close substitutes. You're splitting hairs so much that there isn't a general consensus in the same way that you could say Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial are at the top of the RG.
(edited 4 years ago)
Typical TSR in that we have wandered right off the main point of the question which was about the 2 unis in Newcastle. I wouldn't say there is a "stigma" around Nortumbria but Newcastle uni is more competitive and so the average student there will have higher grades. It is normal for there to be some rivalry between 2 or more unis in the same city.

I agree that Bath is more prestigious than Nottingham for many courses, regardless of whether Reality and his friends in Germany are aware of it or not (and I'm not anti European before I get that tired insult thrown at me)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending