The Student Room Group

At last, some common sense.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ColinDent
Then we have differing views as I've said, to me it makes perfect sense to put a limit on negotiating time.

There was a limit on negotiation time for Article 50 period.
Reply 81
Original post by Quady
There was a limit on negotiation time for Article 50 period.

Yes, but parliament saw to it that it was extended.
Reply 82
Original post by SHallowvale
Pardon?

I believe it was a dig at my viewpoint, because anyone that wants to leave the EU must be unbalanced obviously.
Reply 83
Yes, but parliament saw to it that it was extended.

Yes......

And can do again?

Or not (in which case putting it into 'law' is pointless)
Reply 84
I believe it was a dig at my viewpoint, because anyone that wants to leave the EU must be unbalanced obviously.

You appear to pro union given your previous comments.
Pardon?

You were being far too sensible.
Reply 86
Original post by Quady
You appear to pro union given your previous comments.

European most definitely not, UK on the other hand then yes I would prefer it but if there's ever a referendum then it wouldn't be up to me
Again I think with this particular amendment then yes, the rest can be argued out after we leave.
The EU will now be in no doubt that the wrong deal will not pass through parliament and, despite arguments to the contrary from many on here, they do know that no deal will be disastrous for them and would put the whole union in doubt.

Pity Boris is still sucking up to the ERG, I had hoped that now he wouldn't have to. We can only hope that the Lords prevent the far right from further consolidating its grip on the nation. Will the support of the 17.4 million dwindle now they can no longer blame remainers as it all slowly goes tits up? Naww… now they'll just blame the EU instead, anyone but themselves!
Reply 88
European most definitely not, UK on the other hand then yes I would prefer it but if there's ever a referendum then it wouldn't be up to me

You're unbalanced then regarding the Union.
Reply 89
Original post by Quady
You're unbalanced then regarding the Union.

No I'm a pragmatist, if Scotland does ever get another referendum then how could I possibly argue that you shouldn't go for independence when I have voted to do so myself?
Reply 90
Original post by Vinny C
Pity Boris is still sucking up to the ERG, I had hoped that now he wouldn't have to. We can only hope that the Lords prevent the far right from further consolidating its grip on the nation. Will the support of the 17.4 million dwindle now they can no longer blame remainers as it all slowly goes tits up? Naww… now they'll just blame the EU instead, anyone but themselves!

Lords can try, but there's not the numbers in the commons to successfully turn over decisions a couple of rounds of ping pong followed by submission for the lord's I'm afraid.
Lords can try, but there's not the numbers in the commons to successfully turn over decisions a couple of rounds of ping pong followed by submission for the lord's I'm afraid.

Don't underestimate the Lords. The system is designed to resist an extremist power grab.
Reply 92
Original post by Vinny C
Don't underestimate the Lords. The system is designed to resist an extremist power grab.

Only in this case it would be the Lord's that are the extremists, they could get the bill squashed theoretically of course, but protocol is such that they do not overstep their positions and if amendments get knocked back with absolutely no movement from HoC then they pass the bill.
Also if they were to do this with the WA plus legal leaving date amendment then what? We leave on 31st January on a no deal, that would be kind of counter productive for them wouldn't it?
Only in this case it would be the Lord's that are the extremists, they could get the bill squashed theoretically of course, but protocol is such that they do not overstep their positions and if amendments get knocked back with absolutely no movement from HoC then they pass the bill.
Also if they were to do this with the WA plus legal leaving date amendment then what? We leave on 31st January on a no deal, that would be kind of counter productive for them wouldn't it?

That is why the leaving date amendment must be stopped. I only hope the Lords have the guts to stop it. Corbyn tried to go hard left... thank god he failed. Now we need something or someone to slap Boris on the face and remind him hard right is not the way either.
Reply 94
Original post by Vinny C
That is why the leaving date amendment must be stopped. I only hope the Lords have the guts to stop it. Corbyn tried to go hard left... thank god he failed. Now we need something or someone to slap Boris on the face and remind him hard right is not the way either.

Again, how do they stop it?
We leave on the 31st January without the WA, quash that and we're out without a deal in 6 weeks or so.
Again, how do they stop it?
We leave on the 31st January without the WA, quash that and we're out without a deal in 6 weeks or so.

We extend the negotiating period, we must. Brexit or bust has been the Achilles heel throughout. It may look tough and appeal but to whom? Are you one of those tattooed men with beards and shaved heads?
Reply 96
Original post by Vinny C
We extend the negotiating period, we must. Brexit or bust has been the Achilles heel throughout. It may look tough and appeal but to whom? Are you one of those tattooed men with beards and shaved heads?

No, no and no, sorry to disappoint the caricature.
I wholeheartedly disagree with extending the negotiating period because it leads to us getting nowhere, we need a time limit to actually get the deal done.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 97
The EU will also have to compromise with what is it's biggest trading partner no?
You're surely still not under the misapprehension that we are merely going to be submissive and cave into all the EU's demands are you, they will also have to compromise, and they will because they know that we will be leaving on 1st January 2021.
Is it really all so difficult for you to understand?

The simple fact is that the UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK, and a No Deal Brexit will be more damaging to the UK than to the EU.

Therefore, while there must obviously be compromise on both sides, the EU can simply walk away from the table with less damage the the UK, so in a game of chicken, the UK will lose.
Reply 98
No the reason for my vote to leave was because I oppose the ever closer union, which would eventually lead to a federal superstate.

And why is a federal Europe such a bad thing that it is worth trashing the economy and breaking up the UK to avoid?

Also interesting that most Leavers who are so opposed to a political and economic union are also desperate to impose a political and economic union. After all, the UK is effectively a quasi-federal state, but no complaints about that, eh? You should all be supporting Scotland's Leave campaign.
Reply 99
Shame you voted to leave, then, since we already had the European Union Act 2011. That had you covered.

We all know that the "reasons" for voting Leave are just smokescreens for the real reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending