The Student Room Group

Civil Service Policy Adviser (DEFRA)

Hi all,Just seeing whether anyone else is in the same boat as me and whether they have heard back? I applied for the above role in December. I received my conditional job in March and was allocated to a role in DEFRA , subject to passing the pre employment checks. I passed these checks at the end of April and was told that someone would be in touch with me soon to discuss my role and start date. 3 months on and I still have no news on when/if I will start, aside from a few ambiguous emails saying I will hear ‘very shortly’ or ‘soon’. And also that they are considering the impacts of article 50 extension... reassuring. Anyone else in the same situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, this is a late reply but I'm in exactly the same boat! Still waiting- I understand Brexit has meant uncertainty, but still this is a bit nuts. Have you heard anything else?
Hi Ark. yeh it’s so annoying! I passed all my pre employment checks in April and have chased them since but have just received generic emails saying I will hear soon and that article 50 extension has delayed things. Driving me crazy.
Are you waiting on a role in London or bristol?
Reply 3
Yeah its a pain and waiting more is becoming less and less viable :frown: l've got a role in London, what about you?
Original post by Mdavenport45
Hi Ark. yeh it’s so annoying! I passed all my pre employment checks in April and have chased them since but have just received generic emails saying I will hear soon and that article 50 extension has delayed things. Driving me crazy.
Are you waiting on a role in London or bristol?
Fingers crossed we will hear soon. I have seen other people being placed into teams on different threads so there is hope. My role is in Bristol
Reply 5
Hi guys. I applied just before the deadline and had been waiting for an interview slot. There weren't any when I checked earlier, but there is one available now for Monday in Bristol. Unfortunately it is too short notice and I know I won't be able to get the day off work. Any idea if there will be more interview slots any time soon?
Reply 6
Hi Bobby R, probably worth emailing to check when they're looking the release the next interviews, they're pretty good at replying quickly. It does seem like very short notice so I wouldn't worry, sure there will be more slots!
Original post by BobbyR
Hi guys. I applied just before the deadline and had been waiting for an interview slot. There weren't any when I checked earlier, but there is one available now for Monday in Bristol. Unfortunately it is too short notice and I know I won't be able to get the day off work. Any idea if there will be more interview slots any time soon?
Reply 7
That's good to hear things seem to be moving! Yes fingers crossed, good luck hope they tell you soon! I'll post on here as soon as I get any developments.
Original post by Mdavenport45
Fingers crossed we will hear soon. I have seen other people being placed into teams on different threads so there is hope. My role is in Bristol
Reply 8
@Mdavenport45 any response? I still have not heard anything.
Original post by Ark3
@Mdavenport45 any response? I still have not heard anything.

Nope! Hoping with the new cabinet we might start to see some movement now...
Hi all,

Just an update- I have been contented by a manager to discuss a role on Wednesday. Hopefully it all goes well and I can start soon.

Just to give you all some hope!
Reply 11
Hi all,I just had an interview 10 days ago. Just wondering how long it has taken after the interview to get a response. And how long do you get to accept a provisional offer? I am hoping to hear about another interview in sometime and just wondering if I can wait a few days to respond to the Civil services if I do get an offer.
Anyone still waiting for a post?
Yes. Had the interview and conditional offer. Pre-employment checks all completed - DBS, security etc. Been told someone would be in touch shortly but that's the last I've heard. All seemed to go quite quickly and smoothly until this point.
Original post by Wiggywigs
Yes. Had the interview and conditional offer. Pre-employment checks all completed - DBS, security etc. Been told someone would be in touch shortly but that's the last I've heard. All seemed to go quite quickly and smoothly until this point.

How long ago was this?
Reply 15
Anyone in the same boat as me?
I applied and was successful at interview for the SEO Policy Advisor (EU Exit) role, got all my security checks done, only to be told there weren't enough vacancies available, so whilst they will continue to consider me against vacancies, they cannot guarantee when I'll receive a start date...

Not ideal, but guessing the election has chucked a spanner in the works...
That sucks , what stage did you get to exactly did you do your pre employment checks and have you had sight of a contract yet . I interviewed for SEO policy advisor at DHSC and starting in January . I think they will want to get you on board somehow , they shouldn’t be altering recruitment because of an active election campaign
Original post by Njb90
Anyone in the same boat as me?

Yes, me too. Just wait and see I suppose but I'm back to applying for other jobs. So annoying.
Reply 18
Original post by Wiggywigs
Yes, me too. Just wait and see I suppose but I'm back to applying for other jobs. So annoying.

Have you had any update yet? They contacted me last week to see if i'm still interested but had no word since...
Yep, same here. Wonder how many others are in the same boat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending