The Student Room Group

Architecture Graduate seeking Psychology Conversion - Master's Loan Eligibility?

I am planning to apply for a 'Psychology MSc' conversion degree starting September 2020. I have currently studied and gained work experience in the field of Architecture.

I have gained the following Architecture degrees with SFE Undergraduate Loans:

•

BA Hons Architecture (RIBA Part 1)

•

MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2)

I understand Architecture is one of the exceptions regarding SFE loans and grants because it is a vocation that requires many years at university (comprising three-parts in total). As such, the two degrees I have obtained (listed above) are defined by SFE and Universities as "Undergraduate" courses. I therefore received SFE Undergraduate Loans for both these courses.

The 'Psychology MSc' conversion course I wish to apply for meets the requirements for receiving a SFE Master's Loan. That is, the course must:

•

be a full, standalone master's course (not a top-up course)

•

be worth at least 180 credits - check the course provider’s website if you're not sure

•

have started on or after 1 August 2016

However, does the fact that I have obtained an 'MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2)' degree preclude my eligibility to apply for a SFE Master's Loan to undertake my 'Psychology MSc' conversion degree?

Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by archipsych
I am planning to apply for a 'Psychology MSc' conversion degree starting September 2020. I have currently studied and gained work experience in the field of Architecture.

I have gained the following Architecture degrees with SFE Undergraduate Loans:

•

BA Hons Architecture (RIBA Part 1)

•

MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2)

I understand Architecture is one of the exceptions regarding SFE loans and grants because it is a vocation that requires many years at university (comprising three-parts in total). As such, the two degrees I have obtained (listed above) are defined by SFE and Universities as "Undergraduate" courses. I therefore received SFE Undergraduate Loans for both these courses.

The 'Psychology MSc' conversion course I wish to apply for meets the requirements for receiving a SFE Master's Loan. That is, the course must:

•

be a full, standalone master's course (not a top-up course)

•

be worth at least 180 credits - check the course provider’s website if you're not sure

•

have started on or after 1 August 2016

However, does the fact that I have obtained an 'MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2)' degree preclude my eligibility to apply for a SFE Master's Loan to undertake my 'Psychology MSc' conversion degree?

Thanks.

Hi there,

If you completed a RIBA part 2 as an undergraduate level then you will be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan for the stand alone masters, as long as this is an eligible course that attracts funding from ourselves.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

If you completed a RIBA part 2 as an undergraduate level then you will be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan for the stand alone masters, as long as this is an eligible course that attracts funding from ourselves.

Thanks, Erin

Thanks @Erin SFE for your help.

The RIBA Part 2 qualification constitutes a Masters Degree (MArch) in Architecture. I obtained this Masters Degree with an SFE Undergraduate loan. I understand SFE makes an exception to provide Undergraduate Loans for MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2) courses, even though they are Master Degrees.

Could I please just clarify, am I eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan if I already hold a Masters Degree in Architecture (even though I have not ever received a Postgraduate Loan)? Thanks.
Original post by archipsych
Thanks @Erin SFE for your help.

The RIBA Part 2 qualification constitutes a Masters Degree (MArch) in Architecture. I obtained this Masters Degree with an SFE Undergraduate loan. I understand SFE makes an exception to provide Undergraduate Loans for MArch Architecture (RIBA Part 2) courses, even though they are Master Degrees.

Could I please just clarify, am I eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan if I already hold a Masters Degree in Architecture (even though I have not ever received a Postgraduate Loan)? Thanks.

Hi there,

You wouldn't be eligible if you are going to hold a masters qualification.

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply