The Student Room Group

What does it mean to identify as 'male' or 'female'?

I've seen a lot of people 'identify' as male or female. But every time I've read an explanation of what exactly this means it doesn't make sense. For example they may say that they 'feel like a man,' but then the question arises, what does 'man' mean in this context? If it means biological male sex then I don't understand what it means for someone of female biological sex to 'feel like' their biological sex is male as this would be untrue and still wouldn't mean anything to me.

Can someone please explain to me clearly what 'identifying as a male' means? Because it's hard to understand and I can't find any good explanations of this.
It means living as a man however they define it so I guess. Not every man drinks beer and goes hunting, not every woman wears dresses nor makeup. Everyone is different, some cis-male drag queens identify as men but wear dresses and make-up from time to time for example - doesn't mean they aren't men. That's what I'd think it means, but maybe someone who is trans can shed some more light on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
It means living as a man however they define it so I guess. Not every man drinks beer and goes hunting, not every woman wears dresses nor makeup. Everyone is different, some cis-male drag queens identify as men but wear dresses and make-up from time to time for example - doesn't mean they aren't men. That's what I'd think it means, but maybe someone who is trans can shed some more light on it.

This is a definition that makes even less sense to me. If 'male' is however the individual defines it, then surely identifying as a male would mean nothing?
I’d say because I’ve got tits n a vaj n ovaries etc but it’s more than just biology to some!
Original post by Anonymous
This is a definition that makes even less sense to me. If 'male' is however the individual defines it, then surely identifying as a male would mean nothing?

It means whatever it means to them. Of course it won't make sense to you, because you aren't them. Unless they directly told you what those reasons are.

What does it mean to you?

Many people simply identify with what's between their legs, like me lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
It means whatever it means to them. Of course it won't make sense to you, because you aren't them. Unless they directly told you what those reasons are.

What does it mean to you?

I'm not sure you're understanding. If the definition is up to the individual, the phrase has no meaning. It would then make no sense to tell others that you identify as a male, because that would be stating the tautology 'I feel like myself'.
I'm not sure you're understanding. If the definition is up to the individual, the phrase has no meaning. It would then make no sense to tell others that you identify as a male, because that would be stating the tautology 'I feel like myself'.

So, answer the question, what does being male/female mean to you? Tomboys exist, flamboyant men exist - clearly it's a very broad term. It probably is just how someone feels personally and less about their outward look/expression.

Life has different meanings to different people for example. Doesn't mean the phrase has no meaning, it has meaning to them.

If someone identifies as a male, all they want from you is to interact with them like you do with other males. For example, by calling them 'he'.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
So, answer the question, what does being male/female mean to you? Tomboys exist, flamboyant men exist - clearly it's a very broad term. It probably is just how someone feels personally and less about their outward look/expression.

Question is ambiguous so I'll answer in cases. If you're talking about sex, there's a scientific definition for that (as far as I'm aware). If you're talking about gender, I have no idea what it means which is precisely why I made this thread.

You still haven't answered the question. 'How someone feels personally' brings us back to the original question I had. What does 'identifying as male' mean? You suggested a definition which wouldn't make sense, as I explained. So as you stated earlier perhaps it is best for a trans person to explain it.
Question is ambiguous so I'll answer in cases. If you're talking about sex, there's a scientific definition for that (as far as I'm aware). If you're talking about gender, I have no idea what it means which is precisely why I made this thread.

You still haven't answered the question. 'How someone feels personally' brings us back to the original question I had. What does 'identifying as male' mean? You suggested a definition which wouldn't make sense, as I explained. So as you stated earlier perhaps it is best for a trans person to explain it.

I did answer. It clearly means different things to people.

Just like the meaning of life. You may not understand why anyone in this world may say their job/kids/family/pets are their life meaning. You may not understand why someone says the way they feel is what identifies them as male/female.

Ask yourself, what do you identify as and why?

And yes I agree, hopefully a trans person will come on here and answer.
Reply 9
I did answer. It clearly means different things to people.

Just like the meaning of life. You may not understand why anyone in this world may say their job/kids/family/pets are their life meaning. You may not understand why someone says the way they feel is what identifies them as male/female.

Ask yourself, what do you identify as and why?

And yes I agree, hopefully a trans person will come on here and answer.

You still don't understand - if the definition of 'identifying as male' is completely up to the individual, the phrase is meaningless. The concept of gender would not even exist in that case. Think about any other phrase, 'X'. If we say that it's your personal choice what the definition of X is, then would it make any sense for a person to even use the phrase X, or 'be X'? I can't really explain this more clearly, the best I can do is hope for someone else to reiterate this in a way that makes more sense.

I mean I'm biologically male and don't 'identify' as anything, but that doesn't shed any light on my question unfortunately.
I just go by sex which is male and female as far as I am aware.
It's scientific and its definite. Unless you are intersex but they are quite rare and even then you could say there are three sexes so still somewhat definite.

I do not believe it is possible to change your sex. Your sex is more than just your genitals or if you wear make up or a bra. It is a biological process that starts in the womb and matures at the same rate you do.

As for gender...
It's a state of being I think.
Defined by certain characteristics and traits usually assoicated to one sex or the other. So where sex is about biology, gender is about how those biological differences manifest as psychologicaland, physiologicaland sociological traits. e.g. Girls like pink, have longer hair and are more caring and dont fight. Whereas guys like sports, cars and tend to be more aggressive.

I may be wrong and I suspect I am. But I can not find a universally accepted defintion of sex and gender that everyone actually agrees with. So I do not think you will get a satisfactory answer to your question.
you could fill a 100tb hard drive debating this,
Original post by adam271
As for gender...
It's a state of being I think.
Defined by certain characteristics and traits usually assoicated to one sex or the other. So where sex is about biology, gender is about how those biological differences manifest as psychologicaland, physiologicaland sociological traits. e.g. Girls like pink, have longer hair and are more caring and dont fight. Whereas guys like sports, cars and tend to be more aggressive.

I may be wrong and I suspect I am. But I can not find a universally accepted defintion of sex and gender that everyone actually agrees with. So I do not think you will get a satisfactory answer to your question.

In fact I'm not even looking for a universal definition anymore but rather just a widely held one that has no logical loopholes. In reference to the bit in bold, the definition you seem to be suggesting here is that 'identifying as male' could mean having a lot of characteristics typically found in those of male biological sex. At first glance this certainly seems more promising than the blatantly illogical 'it means whatever you want it to mean' definition, but there is a subtle flaw that invalidates it - the definition of transgender here would actually depend on the number of transgender people in the world (because this would determine which characteristics really are 'typical' in a given sex). It would essentially be self-referential.
You still don't understand - if the definition of 'identifying as male' is completely up to the individual, the phrase is meaningless. The concept of gender would not even exist in that case. Think about any other phrase, 'X'. If we say that it's your personal choice what the definition of X is, then would it make any sense for a person to even use the phrase X, or 'be X'? I can't really explain this more clearly, the best I can do is hope for someone else to reiterate this in a way that makes more sense.

I mean I'm biologically male and don't 'identify' as anything, but that doesn't shed any light on my question unfortunately.

Your right it is largely meaningless in the scientific sense. But hugely symbolical for some trans people.

I hate piers Morgan but he is right. If he wants to identify as a penguin he can.
A penguin is just as much a gender as is any other gender. He just needs to state what type of characteristics that defines being a penguin.
Original post by adam271
Your right it is largely meaningless in the scientific sense. But hugely symbolical for some trans people.

I hate piers Morgan but he is right. If he wants to identify as a penguin he can.
A penguin is just as much a gender as is any other gender. He just needs to state what type of characteristics that defines being a penguin.

Right, you get it.
In fact I'm not even looking for a universal definition anymore but rather just a widely held one that has no logical loopholes. In reference to the bit in bold, the definition you seem to be suggesting here is that 'identifying as male' could mean having a lot of characteristics typically found in those of male biological sex. At first glance this certainly seems more promising than the blatantly illogical 'it means whatever you want it to mean' definition, but there is a subtle flaw that invalidates it - the definition of transgender here would actually depend on the number of transgender people in the world (because this would determine which characteristics really are 'typical' in a given sex). It would essentially be self-referential.

Also trans people can identify as both a transwoman, a woman and non binary and many more which makes it more confusing. How can you be multiple genders at the same time?
Also I've heard some people's gender changes based on their mood.

I don't think you will find a satisfactory answer.
Original post by adam271
Also trans people can identify as both a transwoman, a woman and non binary and many more which makes it more confusing. How can you be multiple genders at the same time?
Also I've heard some people's gender changes based on their mood.

I don't think you will find a satisfactory answer.

I guess you're right. If a trans person is willing to give their definition on this thread I would appreciate it. Otherwise I suppose I'll just have to put up with being utterly clueless whenever anyone mentions gender identity or what they identify as.
Original post by jay111a
you could fill a 100tb hard drive debating this,

Sadly, you’d get yourself banned long before you filled that hard drive.

The left endlessly tell us how much they love diversity. Unless, of course, it comes to diversity of opinion... then they suddenly hate it. Funny that.

The trans community will forever tell you how hard they have it, how they are so oppressed. Truth is, they are untouchable. They have shut down any rational debate on the issue. I can’t think of many other minority groups that have the ability to shut down free speech.

Oppressed? My arse.

We are living in a mad world. Basic science and genetics are chucked to one side and replaced with feelings and emotions. And rational people are just meant to sit there and accept it? Madness.

You can identify as whatever you please. I’d even defend your right to do so. However, it doesn’t make it true.

Can I identify as a potato? Sure I can. Does that make me a potato? No, of course it doesn’t.
The whole trans debate is no different. A man identifying as a woman is still biologically a man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending