The Student Room Group

Student loan

Hi

I got student loan for 1st undergraduate degree, I am in year 1 semester 1. I am thinking of switching to Medicine study after this 1 year .

What will happen if I switch to Medicine with Foundation entry 6 years full time ? 2020 entry

Will I get loan for full 6 years or not ?

Anyone with experience ?

Thanks
Original post by Skp_
Hi

I got student loan for 1st undergraduate degree, I am in year 1 semester 1. I am thinking of switching to Medicine study after this 1 year .

What will happen if I switch to Medicine with Foundation entry 6 years full time ? 2020 entry

Will I get loan for full 6 years or not ?

Anyone with experience ?

Thanks

Hello,

You'll receive the usual package of support available to undergraduate students in the first 4 years of study, however this is subject to normal previous study rules/calculation.
The calculation is as follows 4+1-1=4 years remaining entitlement. The remaining years of entitlement are awarded to the final years of your course.
'4’ should be used as the ordinary duration of a new medicine course in the previous study calculation. This is because standard entitlement is not applied to any years of the course where the student is eligible to apply for an NHS bursary.

Foundation years count towards your 4 years of study. Therefore, in your 5th year of study (4th year of medicine course) you'll be entitled to NHS funding and Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan only from SFE.

Thanks, Lynsey.
Reply 2
Original post by Lynsey SFE
Hello,

You'll receive the usual package of support available to undergraduate students in the first 4 years of study, however this is subject to normal previous study rules/calculation.
The calculation is as follows 4+1-1=4 years remaining entitlement. The remaining years of entitlement are awarded to the final years of your course.
'4’ should be used as the ordinary duration of a new medicine course in the previous study calculation. This is because standard entitlement is not applied to any years of the course where the student is eligible to apply for an NHS bursary.

Foundation years count towards your 4 years of study. Therefore, in your 5th year of study (4th year of medicine course) you'll be entitled to NHS funding and Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan only from SFE.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Hi thanks

As special Student Finance rules apply to Medicine Study, will you please help me by filling the below just for an example as I am bit confused;

Year of study Funded by

Foundation year in medicine: SFE
Year 1 in Medicine/MBbS. : SFE
Year 2 : SFE
Year 3. : SFE
Year 4. : SFE
Year 5. : NHS
Year 6. : NHS

A) Is above correct ? Or I won’t get anything from SFE for Foundation Year in Medicine due to previous 1 year study in different course ?
Or I will get because it’s Foundation year in Medicine and previous study rules do not apply ?

B) year 5 & 6. , will NHS nursery be enough to cover tuition fee and living costs ?

Thanks
Original post by Skp_
Hi thanks

As special Student Finance rules apply to Medicine Study, will you please help me by filling the below just for an example as I am bit confused;

Year of study Funded by

Foundation year in medicine: SFE
Year 1 in Medicine/MBbS. : SFE
Year 2 : SFE
Year 3. : SFE
Year 4. : SFE
Year 5. : NHS
Year 6. : NHS

A) Is above correct ? Or I won’t get anything from SFE for Foundation Year in Medicine due to previous 1 year study in different course ?
Or I will get because it’s Foundation year in Medicine and previous study rules do not apply ?

B) year 5 & 6. , will NHS nursery be enough to cover tuition fee and living costs ?

Thanks

Hello,

You will be funded for the first 4 years of the course including the foundation year, however from year 5 you will be entitled to the reduced rate Maintenance Loan only as you will be eligible for the NHS bursary.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hello,

You will be funded for the first 4 years of the course including the foundation year, however from year 5 you will be entitled to the reduced rate Maintenance Loan only as you will be eligible for the NHS bursary.

Thanks, Erin

Thanks
Original post by Skp_
Thanks

You're welcome! Anything else we can help you with please let us know! Thanks, Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending