The Student Room Group

I want to do physics/economics in uni... but i picked the wrong a-levels

i’m in AS and i’ve picked economics, business, law and english lit because i was banking for a long time on doing a law degree. However... i now KNOW that i want to take an economics/physics degree - some sort of joint degree. i’m a very quick learner and i’ve been labelled by many as being a ‘genius’. do i take a gap year and take math and physics?? what do i do...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawyer’s
i’m in AS and i’ve picked economics, business, law and english lit because i was banking for a long time on doing a law degree. However... i now KNOW that i want to take an economics/physics degree - some sort of joint degree. i’m a very quick learner and i’ve been labelled by many as being a ‘genius’. do i take a gap year and take math and physics?? what do i do...

First of all, don't introduce yourself like that to such problem, where you are asking for good advice. it ironically makes you seem credible. why? You seem to be trying to sell yourself, and trying to bring us to your side - if you are trying to sell your idea to us, then you should be prepared to do it without our input. It's just a bit naive i guess lol :P I dont doubt you are clever, but thats not the way to, well, say it.

But thats not a big worry. If you want to, switch to maths level now, its not impossible. there's still time. just catch up over the december break. You can switch to physics too, but make sure you realise that 3 months have passed, and there is catching up to do. and maybe borrow a textbook and read through it - does it seem doable and interesting?
Reply 2
Original post by Sheperd23
First of all, don't introduce yourself like that to such problem, where you are asking for good advice. it ironically makes you seem credible. why? You seem to be trying to sell yourself, and trying to bring us to your side - if you are trying to sell your idea to us, then you should be prepared to do it without our input. It's just a bit naive i guess lol :P I dont doubt you are clever, but thats not the way to, well, say it.

But thats not a big worry. If you want to, switch to maths level now, its not impossible. there's still time. just catch up over the december break. You can switch to physics too, but make sure you realise that 3 months have passed, and there is catching up to do. and maybe borrow a textbook and read through it - does it seem doable and interesting?

thank you!!

But it’s too late for me to turn back now; i’ve put too much into the current AS and my school will never allow it. So what are my options in terms of taking a levels in a gap year? do unis see it as weak? will i be allowed entry into physics/econ?? thanks for the help!
thank you!!

But it’s too late for me to turn back now; i’ve put too much into the current AS and my school will never allow it. So what are my options in terms of taking a levels in a gap year? do unis see it as weak? will i be allowed entry into physics/econ?? thanks for the help!

No problem!

Im not too sure, its definitely possible. You should speak to your teachers / career advisor / head of sixth form (best option i believe) about it, email or face to face. i dont think it would affect uni applications, but someone correct me here, top unis like oxbridge like a levels to be done in one go, but i believe thats for 3. the one in your gap year i guess could be an extra? so i presume it wont affect it.

But do try and convince them! My friend changed to FM this january (mid) from a level maths and he got an A* for maths, and a better mark than me! (we do a level maths in one year - yr12) . Probably try switch to physics so that you don't have to worry about practical endorsements etc, whereas maths is textbook only and there are tonnes of good teachers on the web.

same bro picked the wrong A-levels too...

If your still in year 12, then I would just restart A-levels next year and do Economics, maths, physics but continue this year, thus you will finish economics A-level a year early and have 2 extra AS qualifications.

Then in year 13 you can do something like AS further maths, summary my recommendation
year 12 a: AS economics, business, law & english lit
year 12 b: AS maths, physics & A2 Economics
year 13: AS further maths, A2 maths, physics

PS: love you felt you had to tell an anonymous online forum your a genius not narcissistic at all
Original post by mnot
If your still in year 12, then I would just restart A-levels next year and do Economics, maths, physics but continue this year, thus you will finish economics A-level a year early and have 2 extra AS qualifications.

Then in year 13 you can do something like AS further maths, summary my recommendation
year 12 a: AS economics, business, law & english lit
year 12 b: AS maths, physics & A2 Economics
year 13: AS further maths, A2 maths, physics

PS: love you felt you had to tell an anonymous online forum your a genius not narcissistic at all

lmao in my school they don't even offer AS (and the deadline for changing A-levels has passed a few weeks ago i know early)... i wish i could do AS physics rather than the full course considering i will be sitting 4 A-levels...
Original post by 1st superstar
lmao in my school they don't even offer AS (and the deadline for changing A-levels has passed a few weeks ago i know early)... i wish i could do AS physics rather than the full course considering i will be sitting 4 A-levels...

Sorry just to clear this up when i say do AS maths and physics im really on about studying that content in year 12, I think if OP can pick up the extra qualification then they might as well...
but i was using AS to refer to 1st year content and A2 as 2nd year content,
Original post by mnot
Sorry just to clear this up when i say do AS maths and physics im really on about studying that content in year 12, I think if OP can pick up the extra qualification then they might as well...
but i was using AS to refer to 1st year content and A2 as 2nd year content,

i fully understand i was just saying that MY school doesn't do AS
Yes, take maths and physics in your gap year and apply while doing them. It’s quite easy to A Level self teach maths, my teachers were trash and I learnt from the textbook only and got an A* so it’s not too much of a problem if your school won’t let you take classes.
(edited 4 years ago)

I guess since you're a "genius" you can send us a few links as to these joint economics/physics degrees you want to do. Grace us with your knowledge, please.

>claims to be a genius
>claims to know exactly what he wants to do for his degree
>asks for advice on whether to actually do what he wants to do

this doesn't add up fam.
Gap year means a gap in education. Don't do it. Education, Education, Education. Goodbye.

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by Retired_Messiah
>claims to be a genius
>claims to know exactly what he wants to do for his degree
>asks for advice on whether to actually do what he wants to do

this doesn't add up fam.

Whats wrong by calling themselves genius?
Reply 14
Original post by Sheperd23

if they are smart ofcourse they will introduce themselves like that
Since you're a "fast-learner" I would recommend taking the A level Economics exam in 2020 and take up maths and physics. Then in Y13 you start further maths and in 2021 you will be sitting the maths, further maths and physics exams.

If you're aiming for top unis (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, etc) further maths is pretty much a requirement for either econ or physics even though it's not made explicit.

Good luck
How do you know that you won't change your mind again?
Original post by laurawatt
How do you know that you won't change your mind again?

Idk but tbh I am in the same situation as the OP have lots of job ideas in my head but none of those job prospects require me to know some Physics... Here are my job ideas:
Accountant
French teacher for primary school kids in the UK
Youtuber
English teacher for primary school kids in France
Owning my own cafe
Only 2 out of the 4 a levels i will be doing will be relevant to the jobs i have listed above... Dammit should have taken politics, business, law etc... 😣 but oh well
Original post by 1st superstar
Idk but tbh I am in the same situation as the OP have lots of job ideas in my head but none of those job prospects require me to know some Physics... Here are my job ideas:
Accountant
French teacher for primary school kids in the UK
Youtuber
English teacher for primary school kids in France
Owning my own cafe
Only 2 out of the 4 a levels i will be doing will be relevant to the jobs i have listed above... Dammit should have taken politics, business, law etc... 😣 but oh well

Ahh I see :smile:
I don’t think politics or law would help with any of the jobs you’ve just listed though...
Original post by laurawatt
Ahh I see :smile:
I don’t think politics or law would help with any of the jobs you’ve just listed though...

I know it wouldn't but those subjects seem more interesting to me despite being essay based

Quick Reply

Latest