The Student Room Group

anti-depressants

how were you given the pills? did you tell your gp you have depression and he just gave them? or is it a long process please let me know

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
how were you given the pills? did you tell your gp you have depression and he just gave them? or is it a long process please let me know

My GP gave me them, I wasn't given them immediately - it took several months of appointments to be prescribed them and for my situation to take a nose dive.

You seem to be in a rush to be on them, is everything okay?
Reply 2
Original post by Deyesy
My GP gave me them, I wasn't given them immediately - it took several months of appointments to be prescribed them and for my situation to take a nose dive.

You seem to be in a rush to be on them, is everything okay?

I am in a rush to get them - just cba for so many appointments with GP and therapy which wont work and waste my time . I need the pills I've had enough of this BS
Reply 3
I am in a rush to get them - just cba for so many appointments with GP and therapy which wont work and waste my time . I need the pills I've had enough of this BS

They can take between 6 and 8 weeks to also start to have any effect. How do you know therapy won't work? From my experience, if you 'need' pills, they won't necessarily look to give you them. What's been happening? :console:
Reply 4
will gp give me them same day?

Original post by Deyesy
They can take between 6 and 8 weeks to also start to have any effect. How do you know therapy won't work? From my experience, if you 'need' pills, they won't necessarily look to give you them. What's been happening? :console:
Reply 5

As I said, it took me several appointments to be prescribed them? :/ From my experience, they don't immediately give them out.

So called antidepressants, usually SSRIs are normally 'second line' treatment for some mental health disorders including depression and anxiety.

This is why they may not be given out straight away. If you've previously seen a doctor about depression, then the doctor may look at your notes and see ah yes I saw them x months/years ago and they have returned and make a decision based on everything and their experience.

Usual official NHS advice stresses they can take 1-2 weeks to work (although I agree with Deyesy).

Is it now uni/school term and you're very worried about feeling a lot worse during the holidays and having no support (which includes medication)?
similar to the above comment, i was given them the same day i saw a new gp because she looked at my notes and saw that id had a few appointments about it before. you may need to be 18 too, but i was about 17 and a half when i got them

i know it’s easy to think that pills are the best option but even if you were to be given them you may have to try a couple before you find one that works for you. definitely try to see your gp, even if they won’t medicate you it’s worth letting somebody know how you’re feeling. they’ll definitely recommend something for you if you’re honest with them

alternatively, i know a lot of people swear upon st. john’s wort which is an over the counter natural remedy. i’ve recently come off of it and i feel as if it has boosted my mood a bit, but i personally just don’t like the feeling any ‘antidepressant’ type things give me. though as i said, i know a lot of people love it. regardless, good luck ❤️
Reply 8
I was in the same position as you a month ago. A month of stress and **** later, I’m doing better...
So honestly, try going through that ‘bs’ and see the outcome
Reply 9
Original post by dxnixl
I was in the same position as you a month ago. A month of stress and **** later, I’m doing better...
So honestly, try going through that ‘bs’ and see the outcome

did u take anti depressants?
Reply 10
did u take anti depressants?

Nah
it got better - but I was seriously considering anti-depressants

How do you know therapy wont work? Have you tried it? Anti-depressants mask the issue and help in the short term, if you want to get to the root cause and be given the tools you need then you need to go to therapy
Reply 12
Original post by CoolCavy
How do you know therapy wont work? Have you tried it? Anti-depressants mask the issue and help in the short term, if you want to get to the root cause and be given the tools you need then you need to go to therapy

PRSOM :grumble:

doctor told me it is just a phase- It has been 4 years - I dont think its just a phase
Reply 14
doctor told me it is just a phase- It has been 4 years - I dont think its just a phase

If they told you it's just a phase, that's really not right. I would ask to see another GP personally.

How old are you OP out of interest?
Original post by Deyesy
If they told you it's just a phase, that's really not right. I would ask to see another GP personally.

How old are you OP out of interest?

this gp knows that I went to see him about it a couple of times when he told me it was a "phase"
I am 16.
Reply 16
this gp knows that I went to see him about it a couple of times when he told me it was a "phase"
I am 16.

GP's are generally unwilling to give medication to under 18s
I am 16.

Really you shouldn't be prescribed anti-depressants under 18 as deysey says, they can cause worsening of suicidal thoughts but this is especially prevalent in minors
With respect your doctor thinking it's a 'phase' has no bearing on why you don't want to go to therapy
Really you shouldn't be prescribed anti-depressants under 18

Oh 😶 I was but it wasn't the GP but a psychiatrist at CAMHS
Original post by Obolinda
Oh 😶 I was but it wasn't the GP but a psychiatrist at CAMHS

If you were assessed and monitored on them then that's fine not everyone experiences the same side effects, my point was just for OP not to get fixated on them as they aren't always given out to children and that they arent the magic solution OP seems to think they are, they seem obstinate to therapy for no real reason that i can ascertain

Quick Reply

Latest