The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TazmeenX
Ofc this might not apply to everyone but options evening just made me even more confused. THEY WILL TRY AND PERSUADE YOU (obvs). then ur gunna be like 'oh no i have no idea of what i want to do anymore' i was like that but u just gotta stick to what u want to do. dont choose bc of ur friends or teachers. i keep having this guilt of betraying teachers lmao but in the end, you'll be at a nice sixth form/ college doing things you love bc you chose want u wanted at gcse. i have to keep reminding myself that bc i keep feeling this guilt of betraying my geography teacher. shes so nice :frown:

but yh beware but good luck!!!

(do a language if you're good at it and have an interest in it :smile:)

omg yeah both my drama and my pe teacher have like said to me 'so you're doing (pe/drama) right' and I'm just like um nooo :biggrin: it's so awkward and annoying of them, but yeah I'm just trying to stay to what I really enjoy :smile: Also with the languages thing, I quite like languages, and I know it would look good if I did one (plus I have the highest grade currently in languages) but everyone has said that they regret taking them, and I'm really bad at the speaking bit. So yeah, still a bit torn but I guess we'll see :biggrin:
Original post by lexieee.m
omg yeah both my drama and my pe teacher have like said to me 'so you're doing (pe/drama) right' and I'm just like um nooo :biggrin: it's so awkward and annoying of them, but yeah I'm just trying to stay to what I really enjoy :smile: Also with the languages thing, I quite like languages, and I know it would look good if I did one (plus I have the highest grade currently in languages) but everyone has said that they regret taking them, and I'm really bad at the speaking bit. So yeah, still a bit torn but I guess we'll see :biggrin:

speaking is also quite difficult for me as i cant think of stuff on the spot. also dont worry about ur accent. there are lots of ways to help improve it :smile: apparently langauges are really useful for like job applications? idk but yh go with what u like and what you'll do well in
Original post by GCSE_beginner
Am I doing the right thing by taking notes down if I don't know a topic well and then when I do get it, make flashcards?

Flash cards are a good way to memorise things. I would advise you find out a couple past papers and just look up the answer (math just look at examination guides) give some questions a go and just make a real effort. God luck for mocks if you haven’t had them yet.
I’m Rochelle I’m 13 (April 21 2006) I like running and gaming I’m studying french maths English geography science history art ect but I’m picking french computer science geo and d and technology or art aswell as the other core subjects my fav subject is computer science least favourite is maths .i don’t have my predicted grades and I want to be an engineer.the start of yr 9 is going v badly
lololol in my report yesterday it gave me all my predicted grade and they were all 9s yikes now the school have made my hopes go really high but we all know that im gunna get all 4s and 5s yeee
lololol in my report yesterday it gave me all my predicted grade and they were all 9s yikes now the school have made my hopes go really high but we all know that im gunna get all 4s and 5s yeee

what are your current grades?

all my grades that I've achieved are 7-9 (i got 7 9s, 7 8s and 1 7) however these are all standardised scores meaning that all the people that got the higher scores in the class got the 7s,8s and 9s even if they got 30/60. everyone telling me i could do pretty much any subject i want without having to worry about my test results but im defo not taking the ones i found really tricky, even if i got a 9 in it. Lets just hope parents evening goes well in january :biggrin:
Original post by Rochellea
I’m Rochelle I’m 13 (April 21 2006) I like running and gaming I’m studying french maths English geography science history art ect but I’m picking french computer science geo and d and technology or art aswell as the other core subjects my fav subject is computer science least favourite is maths .i don’t have my predicted grades and I want to be an engineer.the start of yr 9 is going v badly

hiya! awh whats been going on thats made your start to year 9 go bad? (if u don't mind saying). Also what games do you play? :]

however most of the subjects i got an 8 in, i was only 1,2 or 3 marks off a 9 so its all good i guess. this girl in my class got 12 9s but the rest of her grades she got 6s so i think i have a nice all rounder touch hehe
however most of the subjects i got an 8 in, i was only 1,2 or 3 marks off a 9 so its all good i guess. this girl in my class got 12 9s but the rest of her grades she got 6s so i think i have a nice all rounder touch hehe

omggg :biggrin: I think our schools must mark differently because I'm at the top of my class and getting 5s-6s and the odd 7
or you are just way smarter than me lmaooo
omggg :biggrin: I think our schools must mark differently because I'm at the top of my class and getting 5s-6s and the odd 7
or you are just way smarter than me lmaooo

nahhh i bet ur way smarter than me. its just the fact that i can memorise things if i try. i cant apply them at all lmao
nahhh i bet ur way smarter than me. its just the fact that i can memorise things if i try. i cant apply them at all lmao

haha :biggrin: at my school we supposedly go up one grade a year so my predicted are all 7-9s, wbu?
haha :biggrin: at my school we supposedly go up one grade a year so my predicted are all 7-9s, wbu?

i think my schools just gunna keep on tricking themselves that im gunna get all 9s but theyre gunna be so disappointed when i don't. im gunna come out of those exams with straights 2s
does ur school not do actual gsce tests? You cant get a 9 in year 9 in gsce standard paper otherwise you might as well not wait until year 11.
Original post by _bella_
does ur school not do actual gsce tests? You cant get a 9 in year 9 in gsce standard paper otherwise you might as well not wait until year 11.

nahhh we don't do actual gcse tests lmao. the teachers asses us termly on the content we've learnt. the grade we get is the grade we should get in gcses IF we continue to work with that amount of effort
nahhh we don't do actual gcse tests lmao. the teachers asses us termly on the content we've learnt. the grade we get is the grade we should get in gcses IF we continue to work with that amount of effort

oh right then it is different because our grading is like if we took the actual gcse exam then we would get whatever grade we got in year 9 rather than amount of effort lol
oh right then it is different because our grading is like if we took the actual gcse exam then we would get whatever grade we got in year 9 rather than amount of effort lol

ours is like that too though...im so confused lemme check what it says on my report.

*gets report*

-the report includes

'An asprational target grade based on a combination of MidYIS (this stupid test they make us do at the start of year 7 and year 9) and teacher assessment: this is the grade we are aiming for your daughter to achiever at GCSE based on all out predictive data'

'Her standardised test score and test grade based on autumn assessments'

So like my target grade is the grade i will get at gcse i think and the actual grade i got is just based on the test???
ours is like that too though...im so confused lemme check what it says on my report.

*gets report*

-the report includes

'An asprational target grade based on a combination of MidYIS (this stupid test they make us do at the start of year 7 and year 9) and teacher assessment: this is the grade we are aiming for your daughter to achiever at GCSE based on all out predictive data'

'Her standardised test score and test grade based on autumn assessments'

So like my target grade is the grade i will get at gcse i think and the actual grade i got is just based on the test???

Your target grade is what your teachers think, with some thought of MidYIS thrown in (honestly, don't believe that stuff, my predicteds because of them were all 9s and I'm not going to get that). However, they're usually optimistic and you've basically only just started so there's a very long time for you to change and improve (or not).

Your actual grade is based on tests you've already done, but don't use that as a predicted for how you're doing. If you get a 8 in a topic test, and that's what they're using to evaluate what you're going to get, it's not reflective of how you're really going to do. You will have revised for that part of the GCSE for more than you will actually revise it when Year 11 comes round. In addition to this, this might have been a topic you really understand, and there may be other areas which you're less confident in.

Just keep pushing on - set your own targets, as you know yourself better than your teachers do. If you're predicted a 7, but you think you can only do a 6, then don't stress over trying to get a 7, especially if it's not something you need or a subject you don't enjoy. Prioritise English & Maths, then any subjects you may consider taking at A-Level, but also don't entirely disregard other subjects as it's important that you do okay in all your exams.

Good luck with Year 9, it's a tough year for many reasons, but you'll look back and remember how relaxed it was when you're in Year 11. Trust me...
Original post by DoNotMove
Your target grade is what your teachers think, with some thought of MidYIS thrown in (honestly, don't believe that stuff, my predicteds because of them were all 9s and I'm not going to get that). However, they're usually optimistic and you've basically only just started so there's a very long time for you to change and improve (or not).

Your actual grade is based on tests you've already done, but don't use that as a predicted for how you're doing. If you get a 8 in a topic test, and that's what they're using to evaluate what you're going to get, it's not reflective of how you're really going to do. You will have revised for that part of the GCSE for more than you will actually revise it when Year 11 comes round. In addition to this, this might have been a topic you really understand, and there may be other areas which you're less confident in.

Just keep pushing on - set your own targets, as you know yourself better than your teachers do. If you're predicted a 7, but you think you can only do a 6, then don't stress over trying to get a 7, especially if it's not something you need or a subject you don't enjoy. Prioritise English & Maths, then any subjects you may consider taking at A-Level, but also don't entirely disregard other subjects as it's important that you do okay in all your exams.

Good luck with Year 9, it's a tough year for many reasons, but you'll look back and remember how relaxed it was when you're in Year 11. Trust me...

thank you thank you loll i keep this advice in mind lmao
Original post by Starlight15

:tsr:

The Current Year 9 Thread Mark l (2019-2020)

Thursday 1st September 2005 to Thursday 31st August 2006 babies woooo! Hi, and welcome to the Year 9 thread. Even though you might think you’re the only Year 9 in The Student Room, there may be some out there lurking too. You can us this thread to discuss with other Year 9 about your GCSEs choices and how you're feeling about GCSEs and many other things.

Icebreakers

- Introduce yourself

- What are your hobbies/interests?

-What subjects are you currently studying? (Include the exam board if you know it)

- What subjects are you planning to pick for your GCSEs?

- What your favourite and least favourite subject?

- What are your predicted grades?

- What is your ideal future occupation?

-How are you feeling about starting Year 9?

-One interesting fact about yourself

Everyone from Year 10 to Year 13+ what advice would you give to the year 9s starting this September and What was Year 9 like for you?

You’ll finish school (Year 11) on June 2022, it sounds a long way away but trust me it will go by fast.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YEAR 9!

heyy im nirthiha. i just want to talk to other yr 9s and get advice about gcse
i play netball, and i like to play online games in my free time
+im pretty scared about gcse

Latest