The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

What’s royal Holloway like?

Grade requirements are high but I’ve been offered a place to do business. Living near London appeals to me a lot and it seems like a good uni. What’s the student life like there? Anyone else going/considering it?
I'm hanging onto an offer as my insurance; I went on an open day and really loved it. It's got a really active student union and lots of clubs, which I was into, but that might be less of a priority for some people. There's pretty good food nearby, and I liked the research prospects for my course (Maths.) It's also really gorgeous!

Something to keep in mind is that it's not actually in London-- I've seen a couple people thinking it's more metropolitan than it is, but it's in Egham, in Surrey.

They're running applicant days at the moment, and, from what they said when I talked to them at the open day, they won't mind people emailing or calling and asking for a visit. If that's an option, I would recommend it. They also dropped my offer from AAA to ABB 'cause of some relevant extracurriculars/tests and the EPQ, and the Maths lecturers who I spoke to said that they might have grade requirements of AAB etcetera (varies between courses) but they quite frequently take candidates who missed that, but scored the A in Maths. I'm not saying that's an option for you, 'cause I've no experience with Business and different faculties will set their entry requirements differently, but the grade requirements might be a little more flexible than they look.

Good luck!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by NotTelling*****
I'm hanging onto an offer as my insurance; I went on an open day and really loved it. It's got a really active student union and lots of clubs, which I was into, but that might be less of a priority for some people. There's pretty good food nearby, and I liked the research prospects for my course (Maths.) It's also really gorgeous!

Something to keep in mind is that it's not actually in London-- I've seen a couple people thinking it's more metropolitan than it is, but it's in Egham, in Surrey.

They're running applicant days at the moment, and, from what they said when I talked to them at the open day, they won't mind people emailing or calling and asking for a visit. If that's an option, I would recommend it. They also dropped my offer from AAA to ABB 'cause of some relevant extracurriculars/tests and the EPQ, and the Maths lecturers who I spoke to said that they might have grade requirements of AAB etcetera (varies between courses) but they quite frequently take candidates who missed that, but scored the A in Maths. I'm not saying that's an option for you, 'cause I've no experience with Business and different faculties will set their entry requirements differently, but the grade requirements might be a little more flexible than they look.

Good luck!

Sounds brilliant, I did notice it was in Egham but it’s not too far of a commute into the city I suppose, what’s the town itself like? Thank you very much for your advice, appreciate it, good luck to you too!
Royal Holloway is an hour train journey from London.
I mean I am considering, however from what I've seen, everyone complains about how expensive it is, due to being a small area, renting can be very expensive and people don't like the fact that theres not a lot of night life (i don't care about that so) but yeah, my only worry is that it might be limited, as in places to go (in close vicinity but obvs london is an hour away). This isn't meant to be so pessimistic, as I really enjoyed it there XD but I got offer for psych for ABB
Original post by Katfrost4
I mean I am considering, however from what I've seen, everyone complains about how expensive it is, due to being a small area, renting can be very expensive and people don't like the fact that theres not a lot of night life (i don't care about that so) but yeah, my only worry is that it might be limited, as in places to go (in close vicinity but obvs london is an hour away). This isn't meant to be so pessimistic, as I really enjoyed it there XD but I got offer for psych for ABB

I’ve had an offer from Roehampton so I may go there instead since it’s closer. Royal Holloway is obviously a better uni though but yeah I can see it being a little too remote plus it’s expensive. But I suppose any uni near London will be. I’m sure the student union will be alright and then for big nights out people probably just get a train into the city
(Original post by JimmyLacoste)
Grade requirements are high but I’ve been offered a place to do business. Living near London appeals to me a lot and it seems like a good uni. What’s the student life like there? Anyone else going/considering it?
I'm currently in my third year at holloway. Whilst i am extremely happy in some aspects there are also others that make me wish i chose a different uni. First of all please don't be fooled that holloway is a university of london. it is just outside the m25 and take 40 mins to get into central london, also means that it isnt in the oyster card zone so you would have to pay at least £7 to get into central london. also the last train leaves waterloo at 11:20 ish so if you miss that theres no way home.
secondly, the campus is very small. like REALLY SMALL, compared to other unis. i tend to feel a little claustrophobic living here. as its a campus everything you need is here. the closest town is staines which is like 20 mins away, and you can really only get there by an uber, or a train, which is a 20-30 min walk from campus.
thirdly, there is no Spoons or McD's. against closest is staines.
socially however, I have made some amazing friends. I've joined societies and have found many friendship groups that have kept me from dropping out.
i would personally just suggest that if you are someone who gets bored easily, holloway is not the place for you.

obviously its not just about the location and social aspects but the course as well, but these features do make a huge impact.
good luck in your choice tho.
Original post by Anonymous
(Original post by JimmyLacoste)
I'm currently in my third year at holloway. Whilst i am extremely happy in some aspects there are also others that make me wish i chose a different uni. First of all please don't be fooled that holloway is a university of london. it is just outside the m25 and take 40 mins to get into central london, also means that it isnt in the oyster card zone so you would have to pay at least £7 to get into central london. also the last train leaves waterloo at 11:20 ish so if you miss that theres no way home.
secondly, the campus is very small. like REALLY SMALL, compared to other unis. i tend to feel a little claustrophobic living here. as its a campus everything you need is here. the closest town is staines which is like 20 mins away, and you can really only get there by an uber, or a train, which is a 20-30 min walk from campus.
thirdly, there is no Spoons or McD's. against closest is staines.
socially however, I have made some amazing friends. I've joined societies and have found many friendship groups that have kept me from dropping out.
i would personally just suggest that if you are someone who gets bored easily, holloway is not the place for you.

obviously its not just about the location and social aspects but the course as well, but these features do make a huge impact.
good luck in your choice tho.

student life isnt great. i've been to a couple of my mates unis and even their ****test ones are better than holloways weds night out. it can get expensive as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending