The Student Room Group

Question

Q1. I was just wondering that since exe^x and exe^{-x} are just reflections of each other in the x-axis, then can I make the statement:

Since exe^x and exe^{-x} are just reflection of each other in the x-axis, their range will be the same provided their domain is the same.

So, e.g. if we take the domain as the real numbers, since exe^x is greater than 0 for all x in the domain, then by the statement, exe^{-x} must also be greater than 0 for all x in the domain.

Q2. If I have a function f(x) and I claim it's gradient is positive throughout its domain i.e. it is an increasing function. Let's say the gradient is all of the real numbers again. Then, if I claim it's second derivative f''(x) is negative when x is negative. Does this mean that in the range (- inf, 0), when x decreases, its gradient increases and when x increases, its gradient decreases?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Takeover Season
Q1. I was just wondering that since exe^x and exe^{-x} are just reflections of each other in the x-axis, then can I make the statement:

Since exe^x and exe^{-x} are just reflection of each other in the x-axis, their range will be the same provided their domain is the same.

So, e.g. if we take the domain as the real numbers, since exe^x is greater than 0 for all x in the domain, then by the statement, exe^{-x} must also be greater than 0 for all x in the domain.

If I'm to get my toothpick out and examine your statement with precise accuracy, then you are not technically correct.

True, if xRx \in \mathbb{R} then both functions have the same range.

But if say x[0,1]x \in [0,1], then ex[1,e]e^x \in [1,e] but ex[e1,1]e^{-x} \in [e^{-1},1]. These ranges are not the same just because their domain is the same!

A more accurate statement would be that exe^{x} and exe^{-x} have the same range provided their domains are reflections about x=0x=0.

I.e. if x[0,1]x \in [0,1] then ex[0,e]e^{x} \in [0,e]. If I take the reflection about the x=0x=0 the domain is then y[1,0]y \in [-1,0] and hence ey[0,e]e^{-y} \in [0,e] as well.

Q2.
If I have a function f(x) and I claim it's gradient is positive throughout its domain i.e. it is an increasing function. Let's say the gradient is all of the real numbers again. Then, if I claim it's second derivative f''(x) is negative when x is negative. Does this mean that in the range (- inf, 0), when x decreases, its gradient increases and when x increases, its gradient decreases?

I don't really follow you here. At first you say f(x) is such that f'(x) > 0 but then you go on to suppose the gradient is over R\mathbb{R} instead.
Original post by RDKGames
If I'm to get my toothpick out and examine your statement with precise accuracy, then you are not technically correct.

True, if xRx \in \mathbb{R} then both functions have the same range.

But if say x[0,1]x \in [0,1], then ex[1,e]e^x \in [1,e] but ex[e1,1]e^{-x} \in [e^{-1},1]. These ranges are not the same just because their domain is the same!

A more accurate statement would be that exe^{x} and exe^{-x} have the same range provided their domains are reflections about x=0x=0.

I.e. if x[0,1]x \in [0,1] then ex[0,e]e^{x} \in [0,e]. If I take the reflection about the x=0x=0 the domain is then y[1,0]y \in [-1,0] and hence ey[0,e]e^{-y} \in [0,e] as well.

I don't really follow you here. At first you say f(x) is such that f'(x) > 0 but then you go on to suppose the gradient is over R\mathbb{R} instead.

Thank you for the explanation, that was great! So, can I say that in general though? e.g.
f(x) and f(-x) are reflections of each other in the x-axis and therefore, provided the domains on which f(x) and f(-x) are defined are reflections about x=0, then both functions f(x) and f(-x) will have the same range.

Sorry, I meant that let's say I have a function f(x)=ex f(x) = e^x and the domain is all of the real numbers. Then, it is an increasing function since its gradient is positive over the entire domain as ex>0e^x > 0 for all x in the domain. This next part doesn't apply to f(x)=ex f(x) = e^x, but just in general, let's say f(x) was an increasing function throughout its domain of the real numbers.
Then, if I claim its second derivative f''(x) is negative for x < 0 and positive for x > 0. Then, does this mean that in the interval of the domain (- inf, 0), when x decreases, its gradient increases and when x increases, its gradient decreases?

In general, I mean that let's say f''(x) is negative in the interval [a,b]. Then, if x = a and it increases to e.g. x = c which is between x = a and x = b, then I expect the gradient to lower at x = c than it was at x = a?
i.e. as x increases along the interval, the gradient will fall? ... and vice versa... if x decreases from x = b to x = a, the gradient will increase?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Takeover Season
Thank you for the explanation, that was great! So, can I say that in general though? e.g.
f(x) and f(-x) are reflections of each other in the x-axis and therefore, provided the domains on which f(x) and f(-x) are defined are reflections about x=0, then both functions f(x) and f(-x) will have the same range.

f(x)f(x) and f(x)f(-x) are actually reflections in the y-axis, but otherwise this is correct.

Sorry, I meant that let's say I have a function f(x)=ex f(x) = e^x and the domain is all of the real numbers. Then, it is an increasing function since its gradient is positive over the entire domain as ex>0e^x > 0 for all x in the domain. This next part doesn't apply to f(x)=ex f(x) = e^x, but just in general, let's say f(x) was an increasing function throughout its domain of the real numbers.
Then, if I claim its second derivative f''(x) is negative for x < 0 and positive for x > 0. Then, does this mean that in the interval of the domain (- inf, 0), when x decreases, its gradient increases and when x increases, its gradient decreases?

You're really just asking questions about whether F(x)=f(x)>0F(x) = f'(x) > 0 is increasing or not.

Clearly, if F(x)>0F'(x) > 0 then the gradient is increasing (in the direction of x increasing, hence decreasing in the direction of x decreasing).

And if F(x)<0F'(x) < 0 then the gradient is decreasing (in the dir. of x increasing, hence increasing in the direction of x decreasing).

Therefore, in the domain x<0x<0 where we have F(x)<0F'(x) < 0, then the gradient is indeed the gradient is increasing as x decreases, and vice versa.

In general, I mean that let's say f''(x) is negative in the interval [a,b]. Then, if x = a and it increases to e.g. x = c which is between x = a and x = b, then I expect the gradient to lower at x = c than it was at x = a?
i.e. as x increases along the interval, the gradient will fall? ... and vice versa... if x decreases from x = b to x = a, the gradient will increase?

Yes. Try to think of this in terms of F(x)=f(x)F'(x) = f''(x) above as it simplifies the notation a bit and then you don't confuse second derivatives with the notion of increasing/decreasing for the actual function.
Original post by RDKGames
f(x)f(x) and f(x)f(-x) are actually reflections in the y-axis, but otherwise this is correct.

You're really just asking questions about whether F(x)=f(x)>0F(x) = f'(x) > 0 is increasing or not.

Clearly, if F(x)>0F'(x) > 0 then the gradient is increasing (in the direction of x increasing, hence decreasing in the direction of x decreasing).

And if F(x)<0F'(x) < 0 then the gradient is decreasing (in the dir. of x increasing, hence increasing in the direction of x decreasing).

Therefore, in the domain x<0x<0 where we have F(x)<0F'(x) < 0, then the gradient is indeed the gradient is increasing as x decreases, and vice versa.

Yes. Try to think of this in terms of F(x)=f(x)F'(x) = f''(x) above as it simplifies the notation a bit and then you don't confuse second derivatives with the notion of increasing/decreasing for the actual function.

Thank you, I am so happy with your explanations - I feel I have a better way of remembering it now. The notation often confuses me and makes me make incorrect statements and therefore draw a graph incorrectly. I appreciate your help a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest