The Student Room Group

What is the first Major news story you remember?

it would have to be either 7/7 or Tony Blair Resigning , which ever came first.

Scroll to see replies

Madeline Mcann, i then assumed my parents would abandon me everytime we went on holiday so would always take reserve money (which was like Β£1.90 of pocket money) and try to figure out how i would get home if they did.
There was some hostage situation in the Bosnian War, which I had always confused with the Gulf War despite that being before I was born.
Original post by CoolCavy
Madeline Mcann, i then assumed my parents would abandon me everytime we went on holiday so would always take reserve money (which was like Β£1.90 of pocket money) and try to figure out how i would get home if they did.

If your parents intentionally abandoned you, I doubt they’d be pleased to see you return home.
Original post by Wired_1800
If your parents intentionally abandoned you, I doubt they’d be pleased to see you return home.

Thanks
Saddam Hussein being captured
Thanks

Lol, no offence. JK
Original post by Wired_1800
Lol, no offence. JK

Abandonment is just a bit of a sensitive issue with me is all :redface:
Reply 8
When the Muslims blew up the world trade center
9/11 - I was 6 when it happened, my mum always had the news channels on in the morning and I remember it being literally everywhere. Even at that age you could discern the magnitude of the event, horrible.
Original post by Hajrat
It was a celebration day to Muslims, September 11th is like a holy day in Islam now

I'm not even going to take this bait. :rolleyes:
I remember the Dr Shipman trial and worrying he was under my bed at night waiting to poison me with a needle.
Princess Diana's death. I can't remember any news stories before this date.
Reply 13
9/11 for me... that is to say the one that struck me most. There's a few from the 90's that one remembers like Blairs landslide etc.
The Queen Mother dying.
Anything from the mid 90s onwards so various IRA bombings, Dunblane etc.

Although I certainly remember being a kid at the time with school memories and whatnot, I was bit too young to remember the Bulger killings, certainly too young for Freddie Mercury's death as I wasn't "news conscious" then or aware of world affairs.

John Major was the first prime minister I remember though, I was doing my year 6 SATS at the time Blair won his landslide majority, my primary school got the day off that day as it was used as a polling station.
That Titanic was one of the highest grossing films of the year.
Abandonment is just a bit of a sensitive issue with me is all :redface:

My bad. I take back my previous comment. I apologise
Original post by awkwardshortguy
The Queen Mother dying.

Weird how I remember this but I don't have any recollection of 'more major' news stories that happened around the same time like 9/11 or the Spice Girls splitting up.
Princess Diana's death. So late 90s.

Quick Reply

Latest