The Student Room Group

Why the Tories are better for Britain

A drastic shift has undertaken. In 1997 the Labour party won over 400 seats, a massive majority compared to the Tories. The same was for the 2001 election and around 350 seats were won in 2005. Then something happened (2008 financial crash). The Labour party in 2010 lost nearly a hundred seats paving the way for the glorious Tory comeback. In 2015, the Tories won 24 more seats while Labour grew weaker. 2017 election was a fluke so no need for discussion there. Then the most amazing election in the history of elections happened with Boris Johnson winning almost 50 seats! Labour were so weak that they had to get rid of their rubbish leader Jeremy Corbyn and rethink their flawed ideals.

Here is why the Tories are better:
1. They care about the economy and how it's going to be in the future.
2. They respect business men and the hard work they put in to keep it going.
3. They actually want to get Brexit done so we can move on from that mess.
4. For the first time in history a minority has been appointed as Chancellor of the Exchequer showing the diversity the Tories have despite other claims.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m assuming your from England?
To their credit they have re-instated the nursing bursary so nobody can complain about that. Whether that’ll be the only good thing they do over the next five or ten years remains to be seen
Reply 3
Yes the Tories are better...if you're white, male and rich.
Reply 4
Original post by Xtina92

Agreed! And it’s so much worse for the Scots as well.
Clicked on this thread thinking you were going to make some convincing points. Instead you stated facts and weak arguments.

And the ‘hard working’ business men youre on about dont even nearly compare to the hard work put in by nhs workers (the sector that boris will slowly deplete resource wise, after everybody falls for his frontwall investment).

Xx
Reply 6
Original post by BRH1234
Agreed! And it’s so much worse for the Scots as well.

To have such a large majority gives way for the most extreme right wing government we've had in decades, which frankly scares me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Xtina92
To have such a large majority gives way for the most right wing government we've had in decades, which frankly scares me.

The worst part about our election system is the fact that the majority of votes leaned towards the left wing, and yet it is still a leaning right wing party in power.
Reply 8
Original post by thomasp360
The worst part about our election system is the fact that the majority of votes leaned towards the left wing, and yet it is still a leaning right wing party in power.

Yeah I don't understand people's reasoning TBF, given that they knew they'd be getting Boris by voting Tory.
Reply 9
Original post by Gundabad(good)
A drastic shift has undertaken. In 1997 the Labour party won over 400 seats, a massive majority compared to the Tories. The same was for the 2001 election and around 350 seats were won in 2005. Then something happened (2008 financial crash). The Labour party in 2010 lost nearly a hundred seats paving the way for the glorious Tory comeback. In 2015, the Tories won 24 more seats while Labour grew weaker. 2017 election was a fluke so no need for discussion there. Then the most amazing election in the history of elections happened with Boris Johnson winning almost 50 seats! Labour were so weak that they had to get rid of their rubbish leader Jeremy Corbyn and rethink their flawed ideals.

4. For the first time in history a minority has been appointed as Chancellor of the Exchequer showing the diversity the Tories have despite other claims.

Not sure business views Brexit in the light you paint re 1 and 2 ,and 3 is their creation and legacy. As someone who works in business we are sitting waiting to see how bad Brexit is for the economy and how that will impact our business, the signs re degree of dislocation from the EU that is likely with only a transition to December next year are not very promising.

Points 2 and 3 are contradictory. If conservatism is about conserving Brexit is about as far from that as it gets. Most of the business community do not want brexit.

As for the economy. Under the Tories the economy has been stagnant at best.
It is £5k. The student loan equivilent is around £5- £6k. Can you work full time for free and live on £5k? By contrast you can train to teach for up to £30k.

And it was the Tories that took it away in the first place!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
It is £5k. The student loan equivilent is around £5- £6k. Can you work full time for free and live on £5k? By contrast you can train to teach for up to £30k.

And it was the Tories that took it away in the first place!

It’s better than nothing
Original post by BRH1234
I’m assuming your from England?

From the North of England in Manchester. Labour has lost ground in the North.
The Tories are very good for re-instating the "nursing bursary" (whatever that is).
Original post by Xtina92

Come on, you really believe the Labour propaganda? The Tories are better for everyone, including differences in age, gender, race, religion, disability, social class, location, profession, nationality and whatever else makes us different to one another. Labour just want to give more money to certain people on benefits and take precious resources away from people who really need it.
Original post by DJKL
Not sure business views Brexit in the light you paint re 1 and 2 ,and 3 is their creation and legacy. As someone who works in business we are sitting waiting to see how bad Brexit is for the economy and how that will impact our business, the signs re degree of dislocation from the EU that is likely with only a transition to December next year are not very promising.

I agree that Brexit is complex and will cause problems for the UK once we leave but unfortunately people voted to leave the EU. Hopefully, with the Tory majority, Brexit can be finished as soon as possible and we can more onto issues that matter more to us. Brexit will soon be done.
Reply 17
Come on, you really believe the Labour propaganda? The Tories are better for everyone, including differences in age, gender, race, religion, disability, social class, location, profession, nationality and whatever else makes us different to one another. Labour just want to give more money to certain people on benefits and take precious resources away from people who really need it.

Do you really believe the Tory propaganda?
Those 'certain people on benefits' include me so...I'm all for it. I don't really like cuts to welfare and to the nhs. :dontknow:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by thomasp360
Clicked on this thread thinking you were going to make some convincing points. Instead you stated facts and weak arguments.

And the ‘hard working’ business men youre on about dont even nearly compare to the hard work put in by nhs workers (the sector that boris will slowly deplete resource wise, after everybody falls for his frontwall investment).

Xx

How do you know that Johnson will deplete the NHS? Is that just Labour propaganda saying that he will sell the NHS to Trump because that is so vague and unexplained that it's no true. And business men do work hard and provide money to society through taxes. I believe NHS workers do work hard but I find that the NHS needs desperate reform and restructuring, which the Tories will get onto once Brexit is done.
Original post by ByEeek
Points 2 and 3 are contradictory. If conservatism is about conserving Brexit is about as far from that as it gets. Most of the business community do not want brexit.

As for the economy. Under the Tories the economy has been stagnant at best.

To be honest, I don't want Brexit but it seems it's going to happen either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending