The Student Room Group

Why the Tories are better for Britain

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Gundabad(good)
How do you know that Johnson will deplete the NHS? Is that just Labour propaganda saying that he will sell the NHS to Trump because that is so vague and unexplained that it's no true. And business men do work hard and provide money to society through taxes. I believe NHS workers do work hard but I find that the NHS needs desperate reform and restructuring, which the Tories will get onto once Brexit is done.

Didn't he expose a document saying the nhs was for sale in trade talks?
And Boris himself said in an article that people should pay for the nhs. So why should we trust him?
(edited 4 years ago)
The NHS for sale was never going to happen as was just prospecting trade talks. It's just Johnson thinking he could get good with Trump and get rid of the problems of the NHS quickly. The deal would probably never get pass the other Tory MPs since they would never sell out the NHS unless they had to (it would be such an unpopular thing to do). Johnson is not a perfect leader but he sure is better at getting seats than Corbyn, which is what really matters in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 22
yes we all think 'this would never happen' until it does. the Titanic is unsinkable. the british empire will never die. etc etc. the tories have enough power now to do what they want, unfortunately, popular opinion be damned.
Original post by Xtina92
yes we all think 'this would never happen' until it does. the Titanic is unsinkable. the british empire will never die. etc etc. the tories have enough power now to do what they want, unfortunately, popular opinion be damned.

It would take at least 30 Tory MPs to rebel against Johnson to stop policies getting through the Commons and that's not even including any other MPs that might back actually back Tory policy. It looks like a slim majority but it's not.
Reply 24
It would take at least 30 Tory MPs to rebel against Johnson to stop policies getting through the Commons and that's not even including any other MPs that might back actually back Tory policy. It looks like a slim majority but it's not.

what's your point?
My point is that now Johnson has a clear majority of around 30 seats and doesn't have the DUP to listen to, he can now pass policies through the House of Commons without any more delay, like Brexit. It's unlikely that more than 10 Tory MPs would even rebel against him.
Reply 26
My point is that now Johnson has a clear majority of around 30 seats and doesn't have the DUP to listen to, he can now pass policies through the House of Commons without any more delay, like Brexit. It's unlikely that more than 10 Tory MPs would even rebel against him.

so he can now do what he wants. what great news for everyone!
Great. Well nurses, having you is better than nothing!
Original post by ByEeek
Great. Well nurses, having you is better than nothing!

Why do you have this attitude torwards me? I didn’t even vote Tory
Reply 29
You shouldn't really congratulate someone for no longer beating their child.
Reply 30
1. They care about the economy and how it's going to be in the future.

They don't care about the economy per se. It could crash entirely is it meant lining their pockets. (See Brexit)

2. They respect business men and the hard work they put in to keep it going.

Only if they are Tory party donors.

3. They actually want to get Brexit done so we can move on from that mess.

The fact that the want to get it done regardless, even if that means No Deal, shows that they are a danger to the economy and the nation as a whole.

4. For the first time in history a minority has been appointed as Chancellor of the Exchequer showing the diversity the Tories have despite other claims.

Tokenism. He won't be around for long.
Reply 31
Original post by thomasp360
The worst part about our election system is the fact that the majority of votes leaned towards the left wing, and yet it is still a leaning right wing party in power.

Over 2 million more voted for left/liberal parties than for conservative/right parties iirc. So much for The Will of The People™

What's more, a fair few Tory voters are traditionally left and only did it to Get Brexit Done™. They mostly have no idea what they actually voted for or what the consequences for them will be.
Reply 32

The Tories have an absolute majority of 80, even if every other party unites against them.
Johnson has already proposed changing the constitution in order to make the opposition winning an election less likely, as well as removing the courts' power to find government unlawful, and changing how the press reports political issues. In other words - a quasi dictatorship in the making.
Still, at least we showed Johnny Foreigner, eh?
Original post by QE2
The fact that the want to get it done regardless, even if that means No Deal, shows that they are a danger to the economy and the nation as a whole.

After the referendun a wise friend of mine said, "Over the next few years when all is said and done nothing will change." Given the tight deadline, the fact Boris only cares about Boris and the prospect that the unthinkable no deal is hanging over the process, my feeling is hecis going to sell out in the name of getting Brexit done and will end up with a deal not a million miles away from what we currently have.

We'll see though. I could be wrong.
Original post by ByEeek
It is £5k. The student loan equivilent is around £5- £6k. Can you work full time for free and live on £5k? By contrast you can train to teach for up to £30k.

And it was the Tories that took it away in the first place!

Teacher train after a person has done a three year degree they have already got over £25000 worth of loans. Nursing students can leave school and do a degree straight away they are not forced to do another degree first their are also nursing apprenticeships were they are paid the same as HCA.
Original post by looloo2134
Teacher train after a person has done a three year degree they have already got over £25000 worth of loans. Nursing students can leave school and do a degree straight away they are not forced to do another degree first their are also nursing apprenticeships were they are paid the same as HCA.

Nursing apprenticeships generally don't qualify you as a fully fledged nurse. But if you want to fill the mass of places it isn't just school leavers you need to target but career changers like my wife. And the biggest difference between nursing degrees and normal degrees is that for much of the cpurse you are effectively working full time.
Reply 36
I agree that Brexit is complex and will cause problems for the UK once we leave but unfortunately people voted to leave the EU. Hopefully, with the Tory majority, Brexit can be finished as soon as possible and we can more onto issues that matter more to us. Brexit will soon be done.

Define Brexit and I might agree. If limited by definition to not being a member, yes, that can be done as soon as possible, but a trade deal with the EU that does much more than scratch the surface of what the UK needs, that will certainly not be done as soon as possible, that will take years after we have left the EU.

However we now know from Barnier the EU sequencing and priorities re the negotiations, catch is trade looks to be number three on their list and comes with the following caveat:

"Thus, any free-trade agreement must provide for a level playing field on standards, state aid, and tax matters."

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/europe-uk-future-relationship-negotiations-by-michel-barnier-2019-12?a
Reply 37
Original post by ByEeek
After the referendun a wise friend of mine said, "Over the next few years when all is said and done nothing will change." Given the tight deadline, the fact Boris only cares about Boris and the prospect that the unthinkable no deal is hanging over the process, my feeling is hecis going to sell out in the name of getting Brexit done and will end up with a deal not a million miles away from what we currently have.

We'll see though. I could be wrong.

That looks impossible given no CU or SM.
Original post by ByEeek
Nursing apprenticeships generally don't qualify you as a fully fledged nurse. But if you want to fill the mass of places it isn't just school leavers you need to target but career changers like my wife. And the biggest difference between nursing degrees and normal degrees is that for much of the cpurse you are effectively working full time.

Normal degrees do not train people for a job and did part of science degree and I was in class around 27 hours a week. I know someone who train as a doctor when he was 40 and had a family he did upto sixty hours a week did not get grant like nursing students and was a medical school for 5 years. Two years longer than nurses what every age they are.
Keep sniffing the glue dip****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending