Reply 1

Q13 is not maths...?
Original post by Sir Cumference
Q13 is not maths...?

I meant 31, sorry
Reply 3
Original post by crusty kebab
I meant 31, sorry

Can you please post your working up to the point you got stuck?
Original post by Sir Cumference
Can you please post your working up to the point you got stuck?

I genuinely have no clue. It's just a bunch of numbers all over a page. Can you help me get started please.
Reply 5
I genuinely have no clue. It's just a bunch of numbers all over a page. Can you help me get started please.

Translate it all into algebra with variables (c, d, e, r) and try to construct some equations. Also think about the order of the variables i.e. which is the largest, second largest etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Here's one way.
Clearly Design is his best section. Make sure you understand the order of his section scores.
Let's use x for his Design score.
Write expressions for each of his other scores.
Write two inequalities saying that the difference between Construction and Research must be greater than 2 and the difference between Research and Evaluation must also be greater than 2.
Solve the simultaneous inequalities.
Original post by MarkFromWales
Here's one way.
Clearly Design is his best section. Make sure you understand the order of his section scores.
Let's use x for his Design score.
Write expressions for each of his other scores.
Write two inequalities saying that the difference between Construction and Research must be greater than 2 and the difference between Research and Evaluation must also be greater than 2.
Solve the simultaneous inequalities.

Two inequalities in three unknowns. Nice going.

Plus the sum of four unknowns is 48. So that's three equations/inequalities in four unknowns....
I’d actually do it manually. Work out what options are (max 20) so first 2 could be 18 and 20 and other 2 e were ours then total 10, but are 11 different (min is 1 and 12) so that doesn’t work, then try 19 and 17,
I’m sure there is probably a better way to do mathematically! But only 5-6 options to try anyway.
Original post by Justvisited

Plus the sum of four unknowns is 48. So that's three equations/inequalities in four unknowns....

yea that confused me as well. do you know how to do it?
Reply 10
yea that confused me as well. do you know how to do it?

So did you write down some equations or did you "genuinely have no clue"? If you post the equations you get to then we can help you from there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11

You may not be able to solve it directly using algebra to get a unique solution, but you can reach an equation and then use info given in the question to find the answer.

Keep it simple: just one unknown, x, for Design. Expressions in terms of x for each of the other section scores.
The two inequalities are very tight and restrict x to just one whole number.
I can't really say much more without posting my solution which is in breach of the rules here.
Of course there are other methods.
Reply 13

I'd recommend attempting to get an equation containing only r and one other variable. There are other ways as suggested above.
(edited 4 years ago)
answer is A.

Research - 10 marks
Design - 17 marks
Construction - 15 marks
Evaluation - 6 marks

Quick Reply

Latest