The Student Room Group

GCSE 2020 going to be easier or harder?

Hey, I am in year 11 and will do my GCSE exams in 2020. I am quite scared and they are approaching soon. Will gcse 2020 be HARD OR EASIER THAN 2019? What do you think? Please answer this. I want to know.....If you think they MIGHT be easier (or harder) please give a reason. THANKS.
Reply 1
They'll be exactly the same, grade boundaries may rise as a result of teachers getting to grips with the new system but otherwise question levels will be exactly the same. I hope all goes well! my advice would be to use your study leave adequately, and plan what revision you want to do in advance, make an exam time table asap and allocate your time efficiently!! everything will be okay
Reply 2
Original post by puyi
They'll be exactly the same, grade boundaries may rise as a result of teachers getting to grips with the new system but otherwise question levels will be exactly the same. I hope all goes well! my advice would be to use your study leave adequately, and plan what revision you want to do in advance, make an exam time table asap and allocate your time efficiently!! everything will be okay

Thank you so much. Have you done your gcse? Is mathswatch a good website for math revision? Thanks.
Most likely going to be 'harder' take this with a grain of salt. Our GCSE's were relatively easier due to higher percentage of Level 9's . However each exam board is different.
Reply 4
Original post by SchmuckOff
Most likely going to be 'harder' take this with a grain of salt. Our GCSE's were relatively easier due to higher percentage of Level 9's . However each exam board is different.

I am doing Edexcel...... :?
Reply 5

2019 GCSE Maths was done bad last year. They decreased the grade boundaries. Would that mean that 2020 gcse maths exam going to be easier or harder?
Original post by Kashif1235
Thank you so much. Have you done your gcse? Is mathswatch a good website for math revision? Thanks.

The standard cannot change as it is controlled by an external body - all boards have the same scrutiny. Don't worry about this or listen to any rubbish - btw I'm a teacher so know how this works.

What rubbish! The standard is controlled ...
should be the same amount of difficulty, however, grade boundaries will fluctuate slightly every year, so you may need more marks to get a 9 than last year
Reply 9
Original post by casabonita
should be the same amount of difficulty, however, grade boundaries will fluctuate slightly every year, so you may need more marks to get a 9 than last year

The maths for edexcel exam board decreased its grade boundary...Would that mean this 2020 gcse maths will be easier since 2019 gcse maths did slightly bad??
Original post by Muttley79
The standard cannot change as it is controlled by an external body - all boards have the same scrutiny. Don't worry about this or listen to any rubbish - btw I'm a teacher so know how this works.

The maths for edexcel exam board decreased its grade boundary...Would that mean this 2020 gcse maths will be easier since 2019 gcse maths did slightly bad??
Original post by Kashif1235

i dont think so - i think theyll keep it the same, and adjust the grade boundaries accordingly depending on how people score. even if they end up making it easier, i say prepare for the worst, especially for maths!
Reply 12
The paper might be easier, it might be harder..but it doesn't matter.
Grade boundaries are set after the exam has been sat.
So if the paper is "harder" the grade boundaries are lower.. opposite for easier papers.
Just focus on doing as well as possible yourself and let the exam boards do as they have done for decades.
if the papers are easier you'll need more marks to get the higher grades. And vice versa too. There is no way that you'll be able to get a 9 easier than everyone else.
Aged well
They’re going to be the easiest GCSEs ever is the answer XD don’t even have to write your name on the paper
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest