The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

sgul how they teach medicine?

Hi, I am taking an interview for med at sgul and wanted to know how they teach the subject. On the medic portal they said integrated but had a hard time understanding it. Could someone -plz make it clearer for me?
thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am taking an interview for med at sgul and wanted to know how they teach the subject. On the medic portal they said integrated but had a hard time understanding it. Could someone -plz make it clearer for me?
thanks

Hi!

So the first 2 years of Medicine you have your usual lectures alongside Case Based Learning (CBL). CBL is when you discuss a case with your tutor in groups and figure out what is going on with the patient. That is what is meant by the integrative approach. You learn your content in lectures, anatomy clinics. clinical skills (where you learn examinations and how to take histories from patients) and you apply this is CBL.

The third year of Medicine is called the "transitional" year, you have 3 blocks of 5 weeks placement in GP, Medicine and Surgery. And you have 3 blocks of Problem Based Learning (PBL). PBL is a step further than CBL, your tutor does not guide you as much anymore, you and your peers work out the patient's problem, how to investigate and treat them.

The fourth and fifth year of Medicine are all placements.

Does that make sense? So to summarise, they teach through lectures, through group learning tasks such as CBL and PBL, through small group teaching sessions such as anatomy teaching and clinical skills teaching and last but not least, placement is the biggest and (probably best) teacher you will have during your years at medical school.

I hope this clarifies things and if you have any more questions please let me know!!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
Official Rep of St. George’s
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Original post by St George's, University of London
Hi!

So the first 2 years of Medicine you have your usual lectures alongside Case Based Learning (CBL). CBL is when you discuss a case with your tutor in groups and figure out what is going on with the patient. That is what is meant by the integrative approach. You learn your content in lectures, anatomy clinics. clinical skills (where you learn examinations and how to take histories from patients) and you apply this is CBL.

The third year of Medicine is called the "transitional" year, you have 3 blocks of 5 weeks placement in GP, Medicine and Surgery. And you have 3 blocks of Problem Based Learning (PBL). PBL is a step further than CBL, your tutor does not guide you as much anymore, you and your peers work out the patient's problem, how to investigate and treat them.

The fourth and fifth year of Medicine are all placements.

Does that make sense? So to summarise, they teach through lectures, through group learning tasks such as CBL and PBL, through small group teaching sessions such as anatomy teaching and clinical skills teaching and last but not least, placement is the biggest and (probably best) teacher you will have during your years at medical school.

I hope this clarifies things and if you have any more questions please let me know!!

Really useful, thanks! What type of assessments take place in Years 3 - 5?

Quick Reply

Latest