The Student Room Group

Impossible

Is there anything in life that is impossible?

Scroll to see replies

Flying
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous__02
Flying

Not necessarily. Just because we haven’t yet found the means to do so, doesn’t mean we won’t find a way in the future.
Reply 3
Arguably no. While some things haven’t yet been achieved with our current knowledge we can’t be certain these things aren’t possible somehow. The weakness of humanity is that we cannot truly comprehend things we haven’t perceived in some way. However It could be argued it is either impossible for something to be impossible, or if not, maybe there is something that is in fact impossible, we can’t determine that with full certainty.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Em.-.
Arguably no. While some things haven’t yet been achieved with our current knowledge we can’t be certain these things aren’t possible somehow. The weakness of humanity is that we cannot truly comprehend things we haven’t perceived in some way. However It could be argued it is either impossible for something to be impossible, or if not, maybe there is something that is in fact impossible, we can’t determine that with full certainty.

The existence of possible implies impossible. Impossible assumes reliability and dependence. However, a thing of greater power than us exceeds our boundaries, therefore, impossible for mankind is not truly impossible.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous__02
Flying

Flying is definitely impossible. It will always be impossible to someone. For example, it is impossible for dead people to fly. However, it is not hard that the impossible is made possible by one who is not restricted by such boundaries that mankind is restricted by.
Reply 6
Original post by lmpossible
Flying is definitely impossible. It will always be impossible to someone. For example, it is impossible for dead people to fly. However, it is not hard that the impossible is made possible by one who is not restricted by such boundaries that mankind is restricted by.

But this is inductive reasoning. Just because something hasn’t been possible so far, there’s no saying with 100% certainty that it couldn’t suddenly be possible tomorrow. What if a dead person suddenly just flew, sure you could argue they’re not consciously making the decision to do so, but then this would call for us to define flying as consciously opting to fly in order to make your statement correct. It’s true that it would be impossible for a dead person to not have died (as in order to be dead, by definition, one’s life must have ended) as even with some sort of time-travel interference which stopped this person from dying, they would then no longer be dead. You could also go into that “I think, therefore I am” stuff that questions reality and whether we are being deceived into believing false things. Philosophy is just a lot. 😬 I’m sorry for this, it probably makes no sense. It’s late and Christmas and I’ve had a stressful day.
Reply 7
finding anything useful on the second page of google
As a classical agnostic, I don't think we can know what is possible or impossible.
Impossibility is impossible
if we are to believe that our universe is truly infinite, than all probabilities no matter how remote become certainties.However, if every probability becomes a certainty, that the probability of something being impossible also becomes a certainty, creating a paradox.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lmpossible
Is there anything in life that is impossible?

Immortality
Original post by Charlie101998
if we are to believe that our universe is truly infinite, than all probabilities no matter how remote become certainties.

Yes, so the questions is, is there anything with 0 probability.
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
Yes, so the questions is, is there anything with 0 probability.

I edited my previous post to rectify this, there is nothing with a probability of zero, which means something being impossible is certain to exist.
Immortality
Reading a textbook without zoning out 😍😍
Original post by OR321
Reading a textbook without zoning out 😍😍

😂😂 totally agree with you there
To read people’s mind
To fly
Going to every lecture
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Em.-.
But this is inductive reasoning. Just because something hasn’t been possible so far, there’s no saying with 100% certainty that it couldn’t suddenly be possible tomorrow. What if a dead person suddenly just flew, sure you could argue they’re not consciously making the decision to do so, but then this would call for us to define flying as consciously opting to fly in order to make your statement correct. It’s true that it would be impossible for a dead person to not have died (as in order to be dead, by definition, one’s life must have ended) as even with some sort of time-travel interference which stopped this person from dying, they would then no longer be dead. You could also go into that “I think, therefore I am” stuff that questions reality and whether we are being deceived into believing false things. Philosophy is just a lot. 😬 I’m sorry for this, it probably makes no sense. It’s late and Christmas and I’ve had a stressful day.

No way am I reading all of this.

Quick Reply

Latest