The Student Room Group

gcse aqa english language - where do i start?

I'm using these holidays to try catch up and do intensive study, the problem is with english LANGUAGE i'm not sure how to revise it?

i have the cgp guide but this subject seems to be different from the others - how do you organise a folder for this subject and revise it effectively? i would like to do very well with the exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I’m just doing mindmaps for Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. For example, I write character analysis in the middle and then write a summary about each character
do loads and loads of practice questions, so you can get more comfortabke with the format of the exam; read the mark scheme and annotate it ao you know exactly what they want you to write; read the examiners notes (should be on the website of whatever board ur taking) so that you know what examiners really want to see, and for the creative writing, if ur gonna do a narrative, make up characters with very different personalities and focus on them really in depth so that whatever the question is, you can immediately get started rather than think for ages about who/ what to write about; If you're doing description then just search up random photos on the internet and describe them
oh and for perasuasive writing just read newspapers
Original post by lost.soul
I'm using these holidays to try catch up and do intensive study, the problem is with english literature i'm not sure how to revise it?

i have the cgp guide but this subject seems to be different from the others - how do you organise a folder for this subject and revise it effectively? i would like to do very well with the exam.

wait hold on a sec are u talking about language or lit??
Reply 4
Original post by cornoclogs
do loads and loads of practice questions, so you can get more comfortabke with the format of the exam; read the mark scheme and annotate it ao you know exactly what they want you to write; read the examiners notes (should be on the website of whatever board ur taking) so that you know what examiners really want to see, and for the creative writing, if ur gonna do a narrative, make up characters with very different personalities and focus on them really in depth so that whatever the question is, you can immediately get started rather than think for ages about who/ what to write about; If you're doing description then just search up random photos on the internet and describe them

Thanks so much, how do I know if I'll be doing a narrative or a description etc?

Good tips, I'm going to do all that today thank you so much
Reply 5
Original post by Bobetta
I’m just doing mindmaps for Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. For example, I write character analysis in the middle and then write a summary about each character

thanks for that, i got some paper for character mindmaps, i'll try actually doing some now
Reply 6
o

oh and for perasuasive writing just read newspapers
wait hold on a sec are u talking about language or lit??

omg sorry i am talking about english language
Thanks so much, how do I know if I'll be doing a narrative or a description etc?

If you're doing aqa, then for the creative writing they give you a choice: last year, they put a picture of a market and the question was- "write a description of the image OR write the beginning of a story with the theme of abbandonment"
So you get to choose whether you do description or narrative. The only difference really is that in the narrative you can a have a bit more plot than in the description, and you also get to talk about characters that you have made up etc.
If you're unsure which one to do, pick the one you are better at, and if you don't know then ask your teacher/go with the one you find easier/ nicer to do

oh and glad that I could help 😊
Reply 9
If you're doing aqa, then for the creative writing they give you a choice: last year, they put a picture of a market and the question was- "write a description of the image OR write the beginning of a story with the theme of abbandonment"
So you get to choose whether you do description or narrative. The only difference really is that in the narrative you can a have a bit more plot than in the description, and you also get to talk about characters that you have made up etc.
If you're unsure which one to do, pick the one you are better at, and if you don't know then ask your teacher/go with the one you find easier/ nicer to do

YES i am doing aqa, that is so so helpful thank you very much!
YES i am doing aqa, that is so so helpful thank you very much!

Don't worry about it, I'm really glad I could help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending