The Student Room Group

aking a course with a placement year.

Hey im thinking about taking a course with a placement year but for example Nottigham uni has 30 places for a placement year course for mechanical engineering however a normal course has a combined 150 places im wondering if I dont get a place with the placemeant year course is there a chance I can get an offer for a normal course??
Whether or not you apply for the placement year course or the normal course probably won't have any impact on your chances of being accepted and as long as you're good enough you'll be accepted onto either course. Don't be put off by the fact that the placement year course has fewer places because this is probably more due to the fact that the course has fewer applicants.
Original post by kirill_mtr
Hey im thinking about taking a course with a placement year but for example Nottigham uni has 30 places for a placement year course for mechanical engineering however a normal course has a combined 150 places im wondering if I dont get a place with the placemeant year course is there a chance I can get an offer for a normal course??

Hi there :smile:

I am unsure about other Universities, but at the University of Bath, the placement year and non-placement course are exactly the same. The University consider the applicants for either stream equally, so there is no disadvantage of applying for a placement year :smile: I would highly recomend taking a placement year - it is great experience and makes you highly employable.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
3rd Year Chemical Engineering
Hi kirill

It's the same for Birmingham as well! It's very easy to switch from normal course to placement year and vice versa. I'd just apply to the normal course if it makes you feel more confident!

Thanks

Harry
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hi kirill

It's the same for Birmingham as well! It's very easy to switch from normal course to placement year and vice versa. I'd just apply to the normal course if it makes you feel more confident!

Thanks

Harry

I was on about a year in industry not a placement year.
I was on about a year in industry not a placement year.

They are the same thing.
Original post by Smack
They are the same thing.

nah placement year you get placed by uni, year in industry you find your own

No sorry the reply above is correct, they're both the same thing!

Thanks
Harry

There aren't any engineering courses in the UK where the uni places you. Even Imperial's design engineering course which has a compulsory placement requires you to apply for them.

Placement years and years in industry are just two names for the same thing as everyone else has said.

Quick Reply

Latest