The Student Room Group

Could I get into oxbridge Biochemistry?

GCSES are 788889999 and a Pass in Algebra Level 3
A-Levels: Predicted A*A*A* but I think I’ll get AAA*
(In Bio, Chem, Maths)
I don’t think I could get into medicine (because it seems like a fantasy lmao)
Also, what work experience could I do to help me?

As always, help is appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry this should be posted in the Oxbridge section
Reply 2
Why does it seem like a fantasy to get into medicine?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Why does it seem like a fantasy to get into medicine?

I just doubt I’d get in because they’d choose people with all A* over me... maybe I’m a bit hard on myself but I don’t want to get rejected and then feel bad about it?
Reply 4
Original post by dxnixl
I just doubt I’d get in because they’d choose people with all A* over me... maybe I’m a bit hard on myself but I don’t want to get rejected and then feel bad about it?

Check the medicine boards for decent advice. Fear of rejection is something to overcome in life - there should be no harm in trying and failing.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Check the medicine boards for decent advice. Fear of rejection is something to overcome in life - there should be no harm in trying and failing.

Do you think I have a decent chance considering I haven’t got all grade 9s? The GCSE system changed and I don’t think they’ll consider grade 8s and 9s equally anymore...
Reply 6
Original post by dxnixl
Do you think I have a decent chance considering I haven’t got all grade 9s? The GCSE system changed and I don’t think they’ll consider grade 8s and 9s equally anymore...

There are lots of discussions on this on the medicine boards. I think you’ll find that you meet the gcse requirements for a lot/ most medical schools.
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
There are lots of discussions on this on the medicine boards. I think you’ll find that you meet the gcse requirements for a lot/ most medical schools.

Alright I guess I’ll have to do a bit more research
Is it possible to apply for both biochemistry and medicine or would that look bad?
If you’re predicted 3A* you can’t be predicted better, so why wouldn’t you stand a chance?
Reply 9
Original post by purplesockmonkey
If you’re predicted 3A* you can’t be predicted better, so why wouldn’t you stand a chance?

I’m predicted it
I don’t think I’ll get it - people have way too high expectations at my school
Original post by dxnixl
Alright I guess I’ll have to do a bit more research
Is it possible to apply for both biochemistry and medicine or would that look bad?

Lots of people apply to four universities for medicine and one for biochem.
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
Lots of people apply to four universities for medicine and one for biochem.

Ok thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by dxnixl
I’m predicted it
I don’t think I’ll get it - people have way too high expectations at my school

That's irrelevant to whether you receive an offer or not. The university will use your predictions; whether you make the predictions next August or not is something to worry about after you've received the offer (or not).
Those grades are fine - only obstacle left is preparing for the notorious Oxbridge interviews and/or admission tests if applicable which you should start later on this year.
Reply 14
Original post by purplesockmonkey
That's irrelevant to whether you receive an offer or not. The university will use your predictions; whether you make the predictions next August or not is something to worry about after you've received the offer (or not).

Ah okay, let’s just hope I don’t flunk the tests... thanks! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by thekidwhogames
Those grades are fine - only obstacle left is preparing for the notorious Oxbridge interviews and/or admission tests if applicable which you should start later on this year.

Lmao definitely.
I think I’m pretty boring tbh... I mean, what programmes / super-curricular could I do to talk about in the interview.
Original post by dxnixl
Lmao definitely.
I think I’m pretty boring tbh... I mean, what programmes / super-curricular could I do to talk about in the interview.

I don't think Oxbridge will bring up a lot of programs etc but I'm not sure what ones are best for Biochemistry. Doing Olympiads/challenges are always a plus however eg check out the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (C3L6), British Chemistry/Biology Olympiads.
Reply 17
I don't think Oxbridge will bring up a lot of programs etc but I'm not sure what ones are best for Biochemistry. Doing Olympiads/challenges are always a plus however eg check out the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (C3L6), British Chemistry/Biology Olympiads.

I did do the UKCAT Maths Challenge but only got Bronze so I don’t think that’s good enough to bring up... I’ll check out the Chem or Bio challenges
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by dxnixl
I did do the UKCAT Maths Challenge but only got Bronze so I don’t think that’s good enough to bring up... I’ll check out the Chem or Bio challenges
Thanks! :smile:

You can still put that on your personal statement because it shows willingness to try something hard etc.
Reply 19
You can still put that on your personal statement because it shows willingness to try something hard etc.

Good point. Might as well lmao
Thanks again :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending