The Student Room Group

Don't understand the concept of non straight marriage..

from my knowledge, in all abrahamic religion, being anything apart from straight is forbidden so how do non straight people still manage to get married in church with a priest? it just doesn't make sense?

Scroll to see replies

Your knowledge is incorrect/incomplete.
Reply 2
So you do understand the concept (which is very simple, actually), you just don't agree with it

That's different
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
So you do understand the concept (which is very simple, actually), you just don't agree with it

That's different

it's pretty straightforward, marriage in a religious places or involving religious people like priest/sheik or what not, it's basically seeking blessing from god to start a new life together unless ofcourse one decides to get married with papers from the office without involving priest and other stuffs. I understand that people get married out of love, but when you involve religion into it, which forbids that kind of love, isn't it basically insulting the religion itself?
Reply 4
So brave to go anon for this :rolleyes:
Not all abrahamic religions forbid or disparage queer love, for example Anglican Christians (Church of England)
Not all religions with abrahamic roots are against gay marriage. It's a simple concept really.
Reply 7
Original post by dearhyacinthus
Not all abrahamic religions forbid or disparage queer love, for example Anglican Christians (Church of England)

it formed by certain someone to give him an excuse to divorce and behead his wives lol, do people take it seriously?
Because it's all made up, rules can be bent (pun not intended) in any which way, this means some made up arbitrary rules are bent to satisfy the beliefs of whomever, whether it is good or bad.
Original post by Anonymous
it's pretty straightforward, marriage in a religious places or involving religious people like priest/sheik or what not, it's basically seeking blessing from god to start a new life together unless ofcourse one decides to get married with papers from the office without involving priest and other stuffs. I understand that people get married out of love, but when you involve religion into it, which forbids that kind of love, isn't it basically insulting the religion itself?

'gay people getting married insults religion'
Yeah, that's homophobia.
There's plenty of religious gay people, and religious people (including religious leaders) who support gay people and their RIGHT to get married.
Even in abrahamic religions that don't traditionally support gay marriage, there will be people within that religion who support them regardless.
Lol
Not all religions with abrahamic roots are against gay marriage. It's a simple concept really.

whether you're a christian, jew or muslim, it's the same since they are following the same god. unless you're talking about the reformed bits, which were changed to suit people's needs
Reply 12
whether you're a christian, jew or muslim, it's the same since they are following the same god. unless you're talking about the reformed bits, which were changed to suit people's needs

This is a silly thing to say. All the religions follow different holy books and teachings.
it formed by certain someone to give him an excuse to divorce and behead his wives lol, do people take it seriously?

People don't take YOU seriously...
'gay people getting married insults religion'
Yeah, that's homophobia.
There's plenty of religious gay people, and religious people (including religious leaders) who support gay people and their RIGHT to get married.
Even in abrahamic religions that don't traditionally support gay marriage, there will be people within that religion who support them regardless.

i never said all religion, but the religions which are against that kind of love. Yeah i agree there are religious priest who are not straights just like how there are many who are religious yet has done premarital sex but that doesn't mean you can ignore and change what these religions encourages. Is a religion even a religion anymore if human can change the laws to suit their needs?

Ps don't even bring up that card, i never even said i am against that kind of marriage, it just doesn't make sense to involve religions which forbids that kind of love, is that too much for you to comprehend?
i never said all religion, but the religions which are against that kind of love. Yeah i agree there are religious priest who are not straights just like how there are many who are religious yet has done premarital sex but that doesn't mean you can ignore and change what these religions encourages. Is a religion even a religion anymore if human can change the laws to suit their needs?

Ps don't even bring up that card, i never even said i am against that kind of marriage, it just doesn't make sense to involve religions which forbids that kind of love, is that too much for you to comprehend?

Humans change the laws of religion to suit their needs ALL THE TIME. How many times have you eaten shellfish? Killed a non believer? Ever disrespected your parents? Ever worn mixed fabric clothes? Are you going to be selling your daughter into slavery? A whole new branch of Christianity was created just so the King could get a divorce.
Religions that try and deny LGBT people basic human rights (family, safety, love/marriage etc) are homophobic, and so justifying it (saying gay people shouldn't be allowed a religious wedding ceremony) is homophobic. I didn't say you were a homophobe necessarily, but what you're saying is homophobic.
Finally, the texts of abrahamic religions don't actually say ANYTHING about gay marriage, they supposedly speak against gay people's existence (though there is some speculation that certain parts of the bible may have been mistranslated).
I comprehend what you're saying fine, I'm just saying that what you're saying is (or at least seem to me) homophobic.

Some religious people dont think gay marriage is a sin. Did you really not know this?

God changed his mind, so it's all good.
Original post by angelike1
Some religious people dont think gay marriage is a sin. Did you really not know this?

if you follow a religion, which makes laws, according to what "people" think is right, that means it's no longer a religion. Regardless, that's not even the point here, what i meant if i wasn't straight, i would not get married in church or mosque, which encouraged religious people in the past to stone or hang the non straights to death. Perhaps i would change my religion to hinduism or something else in order to get married ( if i involve a religion that is).
from my knowledge, in all abrahamic religion, being anything apart from straight is forbidden so how do non straight people still manage to get married in church with a priest? it just doesn't make sense?

Um, we don't? Unless we're Quaker? (Or perhaps Reform Jew also - less sure about that) :dontknow: Not too sure what you're on about tbh :erm:

Also, no need to be so rude about Anglicanism :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending