The Student Room Group

How to improve on horrible Prelim Results

I had 2 subjects back and I failed both (Physics and Maths)
How do I improve my results cause am scared for the final exam
Reply 1
Original post by michaelfarnell5
I had 2 subjects back and I failed both (Physics and Maths)
How do I improve my results cause am scared for the final exam

If you feel like you're struggling, I would maybe suggest trying to get a tutor to help you with the bits you don't understand, or even go to your teachers because they will be able to help you. Just remember that you've got until May to improve your results and if you work hard enough you should be absolutely fine :smile:
Original post by xBeccaPx
If you feel like you're struggling, I would maybe suggest trying to get a tutor to help you with the bits you don't understand, or even go to your teachers because they will be able to help you. Just remember that you've got until May to improve your results and if you work hard enough you should be absolutely fine :smile:

Thank you my teacher who I had S1 and S2 was amazing I constantly got Straight As and I think if she stayed at the school I would be passing half my class are failing Maths because of this teacher and our confidence is all knocked in this so I need as much advice as possible
Thank you for helping and I'm determined to pass cause I despise the subject also I got thr How to pass Nat 5 Maths book would that help me
Reply 3
Original post by michaelfarnell5
Thank you my teacher who I had S1 and S2 was amazing I constantly got Straight As and I think if she stayed at the school I would be passing half my class are failing Maths because of this teacher and our confidence is all knocked in this so I need as much advice as possible
Thank you for helping and I'm determined to pass cause I despise the subject also I got thr How to pass Nat 5 Maths book would that help me

Maths is all about practice. This is how I revised all the way up to advanced higher maths:

1. Make a list or spreadsheet of all the topics that are in the course. You can find the specification on the sqa website.
2. Do a past paper or look at your prelim paper. Identify the topics you did badly on. Traffic light - red, yellow, green - each topic on your list depending on how well you understand it.
3. Go through the topics one by one, starting with the ones that are marked red. Ideally you want to get through every topic, but this way if you don't, you've still managed to study the ones you're really struggling with.
4. Study. With each topic, start with textbook questions. If you can't do them, look at example questions until you can. Try and understand the concepts, not just memorise them. Once you feel happy with the textbook questions, try some exam questions. If you're getting these wrong, look at the marking schemes and work out why. Try the question again until you get it right.
5. As the exam gets closer, you want to be doing lots and lots of past papers. Do every single nat 5 one, go back and even do the old standard grade and int 2 papers. They're not quite the same, but the more you practice the better you will become.

There's a lot of maths help on youtube, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having a great teacher. Good luck!
Original post by phys314
Maths is all about practice. This is how I revised all the way up to advanced higher maths:

1. Make a list or spreadsheet of all the topics that are in the course. You can find the specification on the sqa website.
2. Do a past paper or look at your prelim paper. Identify the topics you did badly on. Traffic light - red, yellow, green - each topic on your list depending on how well you understand it.
3. Go through the topics one by one, starting with the ones that are marked red. Ideally you want to get through every topic, but this way if you don't, you've still managed to study the ones you're really struggling with.
4. Study. With each topic, start with textbook questions. If you can't do them, look at example questions until you can. Try and understand the concepts, not just memorise them. Once you feel happy with the textbook questions, try some exam questions. If you're getting these wrong, look at the marking schemes and work out why. Try the question again until you get it right.
5. As the exam gets closer, you want to be doing lots and lots of past papers. Do every single nat 5 one, go back and even do the old standard grade and int 2 papers. They're not quite the same, but the more you practice the better you will become.

There's a lot of maths help on youtube, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having a great teacher. Good luck!

Thank you for the huge advice I I hugley appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending