The Student Room Group

What is QE Barnet like?

Students in or not in this school, what are your thoughts on it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by perplexed turtle

Avoid - you aren't allowed to choose your own A levels - the school tells you which ones you are 'allowed' to do. No Sixth form external entry point.
Original post by Muttley79
Avoid - you aren't allowed to choose your own A levels - the school tells you which ones you are 'allowed' to do. No Sixth form external entry point.

what year are you in this school
btw im just interested, lots of mixed opinion
what year are you in this school
btw im just interested, lots of mixed opinion

I'm not at the school - I just know quite a bit about it.
Think they're a private school and the people are super up themselves.

very nice and middle class.
Original post by ohdearstudying

what year are you in this school?
what year are you in this school?

I don't!

Spoiler

I don't!

Spoiler

ahhh ok
The problem with schools like these is that they only care about the letters on the paper when you leave. Thing is you only attend sixth form for 2 years and it doesn't matter which one you attend. However I do understand you would want one with good teaching.

I think going for schools with grades that are good, but not in the "everyone gets A*" range is a better option, for reasons mentioned in muttley's post.
Original post by NotNotBatman
The problem with schools like these is that they only care about the letters on the paper when you leave. Thing is you only attend sixth form for 2 years and it doesn't matter which one you attend. However I do understand you would want one with good teaching.

I think going for schools with grades that are good, but not in the "everyone gets A*" range is a better option, for reasons mentioned in muttley's post.

You can't get into the Sixth Form - you can only start in Year 7.
You can't get into the Sixth Form - you can only start in Year 7.

I see. For some reason I just assumed OP was a prospective year 11 student. If they are this info would be useful to them.
QE has really suffered from a lot of the myths going around. They are actually much more reasonable than they used to be. I know this from experience.
You are allowed to choose your own A-levels, the recommendation system only acts to ensure you will actually thrive in any subject you want to choose. And even if you don’t hit the criteria (which are set at a reasonable 70-80% average in most cases) you will often get a conditional offer based on GCSE grades.

Teachers are much more reasonable than they seem or used to be, and especially later in the school they care a huge amount about your wellbeing. In the Upper School you are given more independence and privileges too, unlike previously. In my experience teachers will mostly treat you with respect. I’m going to be honest, when the maths teacher who was notorious for throwing books and overturning tables on people called me a “good student” then I have to start saying that it really will depend. (She’s now left.)
Original post by EpicChefUK
QE has really suffered from a lot of the myths going around. They are actually much more reasonable than they used to be. I know this from experience.
You are allowed to choose your own A-levels, the recommendation system only acts to ensure you will actually thrive in any subject you want to choose. And even if you don’t hit the criteria (which are set at a reasonable 70-80% average in most cases) you will often get a conditional offer based on GCSE grades.

Teachers are much more reasonable than they seem or used to be, and especially later in the school they care a huge amount about your wellbeing. In the Upper School you are given more independence and privileges too, unlike previously. In my experience teachers will mostly treat you with respect. I’m going to be honest, when the maths teacher who was notorious for throwing books and overturning tables on people called me a “good student” then I have to start saying that it really will depend. (She’s now left.)

interesting

"You know quite a bit about it"
Obviously not.

As someone in this school, I can confirm that this isn't true!
Original post by sp0105
Obviously not.

It's true that there's no external admissions [only school in the country]

A level offers are on class tests - true or false? I do know teachers there ...

It's a very selective state grammar school.
Original post by Compost
It's a very selective state grammar school.

In case you didn’t read my post or just decided to become blind, I said they *think* they’re a private school.
Original post by username5315584
Obviously not.

what year?
what year?

I'm at QE right now, in Y12, it's acc so chill. In the sixth form its very different to y7-11 you get so much extra privileges, they have a proper starbucks style thing where they don't have only healthy government approved stuff, i'm acc quite liking it there

Quick Reply

Latest