Is Brexit really going to happen?

Now that Tories are in power ?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes we are, 31st of January to be exact
Original post by The RAR
Yes we are, 31st of January to be exact

in name only. we only leave the EU in earnest after the transition period.
supposedly Dec 2020, and despite Boris actually legislating against extending it, i predict they will still find a way of extending it to Dec 2022 or 23
Yes we will leave the EU next month and the transition period at the moment ends at the end of 2020.
:biggrin:It was always about denying the will of the people ,wasn't it?

Yes it will, remainers parliamentarians blew it for you remainers. You had the numbers in the lords and commons to create a permanent BINO, possibly could of made a case for rejoin in a 3/4 years with public support, maybe? However its certain they could of kept us in the CU,SM,EU Law and CFP, which means we would of left nothing bar the negotiation tables in Brussels, but they went for 100% on the result on 48% of the vote.

Remainers you blew it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
supposedly Dec 2020, and despite Boris actually legislating against extending it, i predict they will still find a way of extending it to Dec 2022 or 23

Nah. He'll stick to his deadline. But he will be forced to make significant concessions to the EU if he is to hit that date. He has already annexed NI at the behest of Europe.
Original post by ByEeek
Nah. He'll stick to his deadline. But he will be forced to make significant concessions to the EU if he is to hit that date. He has already annexed NI at the behest of Europe.

Or the EU will to us.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Or the EU will to us.

Why would they do that? We are the most import export market for no countries in the EU.

If our hand is so strong, why did Boris annex NI?
Original post by ByEeek
Why would they do that? We are the most import export market for no countries in the EU.

If our hand is so strong, why did Boris annex NI?

Annex is not entirely correct, very soundbite like and emotive. This was largely because he was against the clock and the Northern Irish people by 60% plus majority want it.

Also you are looking at the EU market though EU tinted specs, the same way you view everything when it comes to the EU. You are simply incorrect the most import export market for no countries in the EU, is just not true, Ireland for one.
(edited 4 years ago)
In law, it is scheduled to happen. What form that exit takes is anyone's guess atm.
yes
Annex is not entirely correct, very soundbite like and emotive. This was largely because he was against the clock and the Northern Irish people by 60% plus majority want it.

Also you are looking at the EU market though EU tinted specs, the same way you view everything when it comes to the EU. You are simply incorrect the most import export market for no countries in the EU, is just not true, Ireland for one.

You are quite right. But Ireland gets what it wants since much of their exports go to NI. That said Ireland is a minority of one. The loss to the likes of Germany, France and Italy is significantly less than our loss.

As for NI - I don't recall the referendum question being, "Do you want a hard border down the Irish Sea."

And you said Boris was out of time and options. He has less than a year to negociate something lasting. Where will he sell out given the tight timeline?
Reply 13
No, it’s just a hoax and a part of your imagination.
:biggrin:It was always about denying the will of the people ,wasn't it?

Yes it will, remainers parliamentarians blew it for you remainers. You had the numbers in the lords and commons to create a permanent BINO, possibly could of made a case for rejoin in a 3/4 years with public support, maybe? However its certain they could of kept us in the CU,SM,EU Law and CFP, which means we would of left nothing bar the negotiation tables in Brussels, but they went for 100% on the result on 48% of the vote.

Remainers you blew it.

There was never a majority for any kind of Brexit in parliment. There was only majorities against stuff. If you wanted another vote on leaving the EU a general election was going to have to happen at some point to change the make up of a log jammed parliment. But to paraphrase a certain remainer you have to be where the public are, and the public want to leave the EU. Thinking that a referendum could be overturned was a massive strategic error for the broad left. Hubris has ensured we get a hard Tory Brexit. So well done everyone.
Reply 15
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
the public want to leave the EU.

Not this nonsense again?
At the very best, only 52% of the public want to leave the EU. Since the referendum, most polls (including the EU elections) show a majority in favour of Remain.
Brexit may be happening but it is demonstrably not The Will of The People™. The fact that people need to keep pretending that it is shows how little personal faith they actually have in the exercise.
Johnson in a few years time..."Yes, Brexit has been a complete disaster for the country, but it wasn't my decision, it was The Will of The People. I was merely doing their bidding".
Original post by QE2
Not this nonsense again?
At the very best, only 52% of the public want to leave the EU. Since the referendum, most polls (including the EU elections) show a majority in favour of Remain.
Brexit may be happening but it is demonstrably not The Will of The People™. The fact that people need to keep pretending that it is shows how little personal faith they actually have in the exercise.
Johnson in a few years time..."Yes, Brexit has been a complete disaster for the country, but it wasn't my decision, it was The Will of The People. I was merely doing their bidding".

That really is total nonsense, it really is. There is no logic to that and i think you know it, but refuse to acknowledge it. Unless you are going to count parties with brexit as their main policy as remain parties, this falsely adding them to the remain total, its impossible. And let's be honest its nonsense either way. We have been here over and over, your argument is dead in the water. Nobody except a tiny few die hard (very hard) remainers are deluded enough to think that.

It's over mate, there is no need to carry on with ths nonsense to try to justify your undemocratic opinion. Admit it, getting brexit out the way and moving on is what the people want. Just admit it, stop deluding yourself
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There was never a majority for any kind of Brexit in parliment. There was only majorities against stuff. If you wanted another vote on leaving the EU a general election was going to have to happen at some point to change the make up of a log jammed parliment. But to paraphrase a certain remainer you have to be where the public are, and the public want to leave the EU. Thinking that a referendum could be overturned was a massive strategic error for the broad left. Hubris has ensured we get a hard Tory Brexit. So well done everyone.

My point was a close relationship with the EU was almost unavoidable. In particular when the public rejected the tories in 2017 gave them a mandate for a soft Brexit! But no, oh no, they went for 100% of the result on 48% of the vote.

I can understand your anger at remainer parliamentarians of last parliament but I wouldn't call it hubris. I think you are being far too nice, they were beyond arrogant with a belief of self brilliance. They were vacuous in the way they totally misread the situation. They genuinely believed leave voters were so stupid and unaware and genuinely thought moderate voters shared their distain for leave voters. They really over rated their intelligence and awareness, they blew it for every single moderate person in the country.
Original post by QE2
Not this nonsense again?

We tried placating you lot and look what happened. WE ARE LEAVING. 52% is a bigger segment than any general election mandate.

The EU elections are a protest vote with lower turn out. And the Brexit party got the most MPs.

The poeple have just elected a government on explicitly leaving the EU grounds. Maybe Corbyn was a terrible spokeperson, but I doubt the same poeple in the Red Wall seats that lent thier votes for Brexit Boris would have voted for a New Labour spad telling them to remain in the EU.
(edited 4 years ago)

I can understand your anger at remainer parliamentarians of last parliament but I wouldn't call it hubris. I think you are being far too nice, they were beyond arrogant with a belief of self brilliance. They were vacuous in the way they totally misread the situation. They genuinely believed leave voters were so stupid and unaware and genuinely thought moderate voters shared their distain for leave voters. They really over rated their intelligence and awareness, they blew it for every single moderate person in the country.

I don;t want to totally blame remainers. As much as I have a problem with a lot of the key players they were broadly on the progressive side of politics and there are a whole load of problems with leaving the EU if you are a progressive of any shape. But it really ****ing annoys me how new labour types, who made thier career on starting with where the public are, demanded labour go for another referendum, and are now soley blaiming corbyn and the labour left for having it blow up in thier faces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending