The Student Room Group

Music GCSE (Edexcel) revision help

I've been struggling to find enough resource materials and practice papers/questions for the new edexcel music appraising paper so I was wondering if anyone could help?? (websites, questions etc) and if I find anything I could put it on here too

Also if anyone has any general tips about answering the exam questions that would be really great

Thanks!!
Reply 1
I know I'm too late but incase anyone else is struggling ill give you tips on how I revised. i would say make a poster for each set work using mr d tights and write about all the musical elements to each question. also do past papers and mark them using the mark scene as that will prepare you for the real thing as it will be in the same king of format. the biggest tip however is wider listening as the last question you will be asked to compare one of the set works with a unfamiliar piece. listen to pieces and practice lots of the essay questions because it would really push up your grade if you got full marks on that question and when you know what to write about its not too hard. hope this helps anyone who's struggling and don't stress to much. your composition and performance should push you up!! :smile:
Original post by user2325
I know I'm too late but incase anyone else is struggling ill give you tips on how I revised. i would say make a poster for each set work using mr d tights and write about all the musical elements to each question. also do past papers and mark them using the mark scene as that will prepare you for the real thing as it will be in the same king of format. the biggest tip however is wider listening as the last question you will be asked to compare one of the set works with a unfamiliar piece. listen to pieces and practice lots of the essay questions because it would really push up your grade if you got full marks on that question and when you know what to write about its not too hard. hope this helps anyone who's struggling and don't stress to much. your composition and performance should push you up!! :smile:

Ditto!

There are a few YouTube accounts (2/3) that go through the set works which are useful!
For each piece (set work) separate each musical featured into the categories Melody, Harmony/tonality, Instrumentation, Rhythm, Texture
Make sure you also know a bit of context around the pieces and why they’re typical / not typical of the time period they were written in. E.g why brandenburg concerto is typically baroque and why the Pathétique sonata is and isn’t classical and how it also has features of romantic music

Learn your cadences as that would be an easy mark or two :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest