The Student Room Group

Imperial chemical engineering interview

Hi I’m applying for chemical engineering at imperial, and I would like to know some details about the interview, for example what kind of questions they will ask. Also my teacher was a bit free about giving predicted grades, so mine are 4a*’s, will they give me an extremely high con offer by that?
Reply 1
Also I applied for ucl and Manchester as well. I’ve heard a lot of negative comments on ucl’s engineering department, is it worth me going to Manchester if got rejected by imperial? Btw I’m an international student.
Reply 2
hi i'm also applying for chem eng(cambridge(probs rejection),imperial(A*A*A*),UCL(AAA),Nottingham(AAA), Shefiield(AAA)). I'm probs gonna put imperial as firm and ucl as insurance even though i've spoken to people currently doing chem eng at UCL (2nd years) and they all said not to come. In terms of imperial interview, try and find something in chem eng that you're passionate about, for me it was the research side. They'll give you an academic question on maths and chem. Hard maths q+easy chem q or super easy maths q+super hard chem q. I got the easy maths and hard chem q but then again difficulty is subjective. It's all based on A-level/AS level content, I didn't get any personal statement q's but apparently one person did. Surprisingly i messed up the math's q and did well in the chem so i got the typical offer of 3A*'S (doing three alevel's: maths,chem and physics + AS further maths). Most likely you'll get 2A*2A offer. (unless you do really bad in your interview that they're not sure then they may increase it).
Reply 3
Original post by Abi-S01
hi i'm also applying for chem eng(cambridge(probs rejection),imperial(A*A*A*),UCL(AAA),Nottingham(AAA), Shefiield(AAA)). I'm probs gonna put imperial as firm and ucl as insurance even though i've spoken to people currently doing chem eng at UCL (2nd years) and they all said not to come. In terms of imperial interview, try and find something in chem eng that you're passionate about, for me it was the research side. They'll give you an academic question on maths and chem. Hard maths q+easy chem q or super easy maths q+super hard chem q. I got the easy maths and hard chem q but then again difficulty is subjective. It's all based on A-level/AS level content, I didn't get any personal statement q's but apparently one person did. Surprisingly i messed up the math's q and did well in the chem so i got the typical offer of 3A*'S (doing three alevel's: maths,chem and physics + AS further maths). Most likely you'll get 2A*2A offer. (unless you do really bad in your interview that they're not sure then they may increase it).

Thanks a lot😉Hopefully I’ll do well in my interview and wish you can obtain 3a*s, then we’ll be classmates haha
Reply 4
Original post by Abi-S01

But may I ask why you still choose ucl as insurance
Reply 5
Original post by samaQqq
Thanks a lot😉Hopefully I’ll do well in my interview and wish you can obtain 3a*s, then we’ll be classmates hah

hopefully:biggrin:, sorry I would give specific q's i got but i'll get banned by student room for doing that.
Reply 6
Original post by Abi-S01
hopefully:biggrin:, sorry I would give specific q's i got but i'll get banned by student room for doing that.

but the topics on the day were; binomial expansion (easy maths q), effect of conditions on chemical structure (hard chem q), integrals (hard maths q) and application of pV=NRt (easy chem q) . I also got a really weird q which had nothing to do with academic stuff but they just wanted to see some logical thinking.
Reply 7
Original post by samaQqq
But may I ask why you still choose ucl as insurance

I can go from home (I live in london so 40 min train journey), the uni itself is great in terms of the vibe and opportunities they give, plus they do have prestige on a international level. Ik people who go there who say that some aspects of the course are still fun as long as you hang out with the right people. I chose it over the other unis cause they're all far and standard of teacher is quite equal except for nottingham which is apparently slightly better.
Reply 8
Original post by Abi-S01
I can go from home (I live in london so 40 min train journey), the uni itself is great in terms of the vibe and opportunities they give, plus they do have prestige on a international level. Ik people who go there who say that some aspects of the course are still fun as long as you hang out with the right people. I chose it over the other unis cause they're all far and standard of teacher is quite equal except for nottingham which is apparently slightly better.

Thanks again! So I guess except for Oxbridge and imperial, other unis are quite the same for chem eng.
Reply 9
Original post by samaQqq
Thanks again! So I guess except for Oxbridge and imperial, other unis are quite the same for chem eng.

I guess so, btw what other uni's did you apply for other than imperial and manchester?
Reply 10
Original post by Abi-S01
I guess so, btw what other uni's did you apply for other than imperial and manchester?

Edinburgh, Nottingham and ucl, we have very similar choices)
Original post by samaQqq
Edinburgh, Nottingham and ucl, we have very similar choices)

You gonna come over for any of the applicant days?
Reply 12
Original post by Abi-S01
You gonna come over for any of the applicant days?

Maybe not, I live very far from the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending