The Student Room Group

Not sure if I understand the immune tesponse

1) I know that that T memory cells remain in circulation. However, am I right in saying that once exposed to the same antigen the T memory cells develop into T helper and cytotoxic T cells?

2) Why are B cells needed? Why can’t the pathogens be destroyed through the cellular response in the first place?
I'll do my best to answer but I'll mainly be referring to my textbooks which may contradict what you've said so take my answer with a pinch of salt...

From what I understand, when memory cells recognise an antigen they stimulate the rapid production and secretion of antibodies by the B-plasma cells. These B-plasma cells are produced as B cells rapidly mutliply by mitosis and differentiate into plasma cells in a process called clonal selection. Therefore while I'm not sure how memory cells affect T cell production, they certainly lead to the production of B cells.

To this end, B cells are needed because B-plasma cells can secrete large amounts of antibodies. By the time that the T-helper and cytotoxic cells are doing their jobs responding to the infection, the pathogen may have multiplied to a huge population. The T-Cytotoxic cells cannot kill the pathogens as fast as they are replicating so B cells secrete antibodies to rapidly kill large quantities of pathogens to end the infection.
Hope this helped!
Original post by HRobson_BMC
I'll do my best to answer but I'll mainly be referring to my textbooks which may contradict what you've said so take my answer with a pinch of salt...

From what I understand, when memory cells recognise an antigen they stimulate the rapid production and secretion of antibodies by the B-plasma cells. These B-plasma cells are produced as B cells rapidly mutliply by mitosis and differentiate into plasma cells in a process called clonal selection. Therefore while I'm not sure how memory cells affect T cell production, they certainly lead to the production of B cells.

To this end, B cells are needed because B-plasma cells can secrete large amounts of antibodies. By the time that the T-helper and cytotoxic cells are doing their jobs responding to the infection, the pathogen may have multiplied to a huge population. The T-Cytotoxic cells cannot kill the pathogens as fast as they are replicating so B cells secrete antibodies to rapidly kill large quantities of pathogens to end the infection.
Hope this helped!

Thanks so much - rly appreciate the help! I’ll ask my teacher when I get back to school about the first question, but you’ve really cleared up the second question.
Original post by Tomchr
1) I know that that T memory cells remain in circulation. However, am I right in saying that once exposed to the same antigen the T memory cells develop into T helper and cytotoxic T cells?

Kind of. They rapidly expand in number, whatever they are. If they are helper cells they stimulate the immune response, help cytotoxic cells and B cells develop. If they are cytotoxic they will expand and try to fight the antigen, with help from other cells.

2) Why are B cells needed? Why can’t the pathogens be destroyed through the cellular response in the first place?

The simple answer is: T cells alone might not be enough. Antibodies help. A lot.
Reply 4
Original post by Tomchr

Also, B cells and T cells target pathogens in different locations. B cells (or more precisely, antibodies) produce antibody which can bind to free antigens/pathogens in the circulation. Cytotoxic T cells, on the other hand, do not kill free pathogens, they only kill intracellular pathogens - that is, pathogens that have invaded other cells.
Original post by Jpw1097
Also, B cells and T cells target pathogens in different locations. B cells (or more precisely, antibodies) produce antibody which can bind to free antigens/pathogens in the circulation. Cytotoxic T cells, on the other hand, do not kill free pathogens, they only kill intracellular pathogens - that is, pathogens that have invaded other cells.

Thank you !!
T
Original post by nexttime
The simple answer is: T cells alone might not be enough. Antibodies help. A lot.

Thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 7
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQXFnAzACAnOAPVBv-QRNTQ check this in section 2. Immunity for aqa a level biology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending