The Student Room Group

Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care Edexcel (PEARSON)

Welcome to the health and social care exam support thread!
Word-cloud-Health-and-Social-Care-Act-2012.jpg

The exam timetable is as stated:

- Friday 10th January 2020, Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development. It is an hour and thirty minutes long and consists of ninety marks.

- Monday 13th January 2020, Unit 2: Working in Health and Social Care. The time frame and marks included are the same as unit 1.

Spoiler

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? Have you started to use past papers to aid your revision? Comment down below! :h:

Exam 'checklist':

- Ensure you purchase a transparent pencil case before your exams, make sure you have a black pen and one spare.
- Try to sleep early the night before! Panicking to revise is going to make you feel more stressed and overwhelmed.
- Double-check the time of your exams and ensure you know your ID numbers.
-Highlighters can also be effective during the exam to highlight the key points of a case study.

How to prepare for the exams (general tips)

1. Create revision resources, whatever they may be it needs to be what works for you. If writing out notes over and over doesn't work for you, please don't waste your time!

2. Use the revision guide to make your notes, the copy from the exam board is your best bet - rather than using copies from other sources.

3. Create a revision timetable if this works for you.

4. Re-read your notes, repetition is the best method of drilling notes into your brain.

5. As it gets closer to the exams complete past papers. The more the better in the end!

This thread is for anyone that is studying health and social care (EDEXCEL), chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Good luck everyone

Scroll to see replies

Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development
Unit 2: Working in Health and Social Care

The exam will consist of:

- Short-answer questions
- Explanation questions
- Using case studies to evaluate a service user’s needs
- Justification questions
- Discuss questions
- Applying theories this can include Piaget, Chomsky, the Swiss mountain test and so on.

The highest marked question you will be given is 12 marks for both papers. Those questions will usually be stated as “To what extent..”, this means you need to make a reasoned conclusion evaluating the pros and cons to the statement, as well as providing evidence towards necessary theories.

The best way to prepare for these questions is to practice the papers, you can find the units past papers on Pearson’s website or use the link below:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/health-and-social-care-2016.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UKnit%2FUnit-1&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExternal-assessments

The mark scheme is to your left on the website :smile:

Try as many papers as you can before the exam, but don’t overload yourself with them! Once you have completed the papers make sure you mark them properly be hard on yourself as the examiners will be too, you’re only cheating yourself if you mark incorrectly. On a side note, if you’re ever unsure you can post your question in this thread!

Furthermore, here is the specification for your unit 1 & 2 exam, remember Pearson can choose anything from this spec and it’s usually different to last years.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Health-and-Social-Care/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446938034_BTEC_Nat_ExtDip_HSC_Spec_Iss3C.pdf (Pages 23 - 30 >U1) (Pages 31 38 -> U2)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly

Welcome to the health and social care exam support thread!
Word-cloud-Health-and-Social-Care-Act-2012.jpg

The exam timetable is as stated:

- Friday 10th January 2020, Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development. It is an hour and thirty minutes long and consists of ninety marks.

- Monday 13th January 2020, Unit 2: Working in Health and Social Care. The time frame and marks included are the same as unit 1.

Spoiler

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? Have you started to use past papers to aid your revision? Comment down below! :h:

Exam 'checklist':

- Ensure you purchase a transparent pencil case before your exams, make sure you have a black pen and one spare.
- Try to sleep early the night before! Panicking to revise is going to make you feel more stressed and overwhelmed.
- Double-check the time of your exams and ensure you know your ID numbers.
-Highlighters can also be effective during the exam to highlight the key points of a case study.

How to prepare for the exams (general tips)

1. Create revision resources, whatever they may be it needs to be what works for you. If writing out notes over and over doesn't work for you, please don't waste your time!

2. Use the revision guide to make your notes, the copy from the exam board is your best bet - rather than using copies from other sources.

3. Create a revision timetable if this works for you.

4. Re-read your notes, repetition is the best method of drilling notes into your brain.

5. As it gets closer to the exams complete past papers. The more the better in the end!

This thread is for anyone that is studying health and social care (EDEXCEL), chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Good luck everyone

This is amazing!! :heart:

Good luck to anyone studying for these exams - you can do it! :dumbells:
Original post by brainzistheword
This is amazing!! :heart:

Good luck to anyone studying for these exams - you can do it! :dumbells:

Hi!

Thank you so much! So glad sonebody has seen it :heart:
(edited 4 years ago)
5 days to go until the first exam in health and social care (Pearson)!

How is everybody feeling about the exam?
Are your revision resources completed at last?
Make sure you rest up before the exam so you can bring your A-game!

(edited 4 years ago)
Good luck all :hugs:
Original post by Glaz
Good luck all :hugs:

:hugs::heart:
Original post by Hazelly
Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development
Unit 2: Working in Health and Social Care

The exam will consist of:

- Short-answer questions
- Explanation questions
- Using case studies to evaluate a service user’s needs
- Justification questions
- Discuss questions
- Applying theories this can include Piaget, Chomsky, the Swiss mountain test and so on.

The highest marked question you will be given is 12 marks for both papers. Those questions will usually be stated as “To what extent..”, this means you need to make a reasoned conclusion evaluating the pros and cons to the statement, as well as providing evidence towards necessary theories.

The best way to prepare for these questions is to practice the papers, you can find the units past papers on Pearson’s website or use the link below:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/health-and-social-care-2016.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=category:Pearson-UKnit%2FUnit-1&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FExternal-assessments

The mark scheme is to your left on the website :smile:

Try as many papers as you can before the exam, but don’t overload yourself with them! Once you have completed the papers make sure you mark them properly be hard on yourself as the examiners will be too, you’re only cheating yourself if you mark incorrectly. On a side note, if you’re ever unsure you can post your question in this thread!

Furthermore, here is the specification for your unit 1 & 2 exam, remember Pearson can choose anything from this spec and it’s usually different to last years.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Health-and-Social-Care/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446938034_BTEC_Nat_ExtDip_HSC_Spec_Iss3C.pdf (Pages 23 - 30 >U1) (Pages 31 38 -> U2)

This is all amazing ... so helpful.

The past papers appear to be in a secure part of the Pearson website - or am I missing something?
Original post by The Learn Ranger
This is all amazing ... so helpful.

The past papers appear to be in a secure part of the Pearson website - or am I missing something?

Thank you!

I also noticed this last night - bit odd? Do you know if there’s a way of accessing the past papers for students? I expected the 2019 ones to be locked, but not the others.
Original post by Hazelly
Thank you!

I also noticed this last night - bit odd? Do you know if there’s a way of accessing the past papers for students? I expected the 2019 ones to be locked, but not the others.

Oh - just found them here, well, up to 2017 anyway. seems like they're late in releasing 2018.

BTEC National past papers
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Oh - just found them here, well, up to 2017 anyway. seems like they're late in releasing 2018.

BTEC National past papers

Thanks again. Will update it shortly :h:

I’m hoping more people who are studying health and social care will see this before the exam!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks Good luck :yes:
good luck everyone!! you've got thiss!!
Good luck all! Unit 1 is tomorrow morning and remember it starts at 9:15am. Transparent pencil cases are required.

Do your best and try not to panic, ready every question in your own time :biggrin:
Unit 1 is finallyyy done!

How did everyone find the exam?
Did it go okay? As you were expecting?

Try not to panic about the exam, it's over at last. Time to get ready for unit 2?! :rofl3:
hii

hows everyone finding revision for unit 2?
plz suggest and tips and hints for revision or anything else related to unit 2
Original post by btecs098
hii

hows everyone finding revision for unit 2?
plz suggest and tips and hints for revision or anything else related to unit 2

I'm using the "REVISE BTEC NATIONAL; HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE REVISION GUIDE. Second edition" which is endorsed by BTEC.

I am going through the book and making notes on the different legislations and acts. I prefer to continually write out notes, so this might not benefit/help you. How are you currently revising?

Although, i have finished making my notes, at last, this means tomorrow will mainly be reconsolidation such as past papers and quizzes.
Reply 18
Anyone got any predictions
Original post by Eeshak
Anyone got any predictions

For unit 2, I assume?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending