The Student Room Group

Civil partnerships now available for straight couples

Poll

Should straight couples be able to get civil partnership?

Your thoughts?
Edit: DWV In the poll means Don't wanna vote
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry, what?
It's great. If I wasnt already married I'd have one.
Original post by cheerIeader
I'm sorry, what?

What are you thoughts on straight couples being allowed to to have a civil partnership is it a good thing? Bad thing? Pointless? etc
Original post by 1st superstar
What are you thoughts on straight couples being allowed to to have a civil partnership is it a good thing? Bad thing? Pointless? etc

How....is that possible? Civil partnerships are for people of the same sex.
Source?
Not sure what I think. On one hand good to have options but then do any same sex couples do it now? Do gay people consider it a bit offensive they had this option and could not marry? Therefore the whole thing is a bit homophobic and should be not allowed in future for any couple.
I also worry it’s not accepted overseas in case of medical emergencies.
How....is that possible? Civil partnerships are for people of the same sex.

There will be a new law allowing them to do so on new year's Eve
Original post by Catherine1973
Not sure what I think. On one hand good to have options but then do any same sex couples do it now? Do gay people consider it a bit offensive they had this option and could not marry? Therefore the whole thing is a bit homophobic and should be not allowed in future for any couple.

I’m gay and will be considering a civil partnership with my girlfriend as a legal union.

I’m also not offended by straight couples having the option; I fail to see why it’s homophobic
It's not homophobic....it's just unnecessary?? A civil partnership? Err........but they're not the same sex? What?

Gay people weren't entitled to marriage at all until recently and now they're being STOLEN off their rights by straight couples? Crazy.
It's not homophobic....it's just unnecessary?? A civil partnership? Err........but they're not the same sex? What?

Gay people weren't entitled to marriage at all until recently and now they're being STOLEN off their rights by straight couples? Crazy.

What is being stolen? All it’s doing is evening out the discrepancy between straight and gay couples. Gay couples have a choice of civil partnership and marriage, straight people can only choose marriage

Can't speak for all gay people obviously but it's the classic straight parade argument. Something was made for Gay people because they were excluded, now as homosexuality is finally being normalised straight people who are irritated by this now complain about 'inequality' rather than simply being grateful they have never needed a pride parade or civil partnerships.
My sister has a civil partnership as that’s all that was allowed at the time. Hence why looking back it could be considered a homophobic option to do now.
For example if non white couples were not allowed to marry, only civil partner, would we not think that pretty racist and not demand we all can do it. We would fight for marriage for all wouldn’t we?
I’ll look up the stats of number of civil partnerships occurring since same sex marriage was introduced. Think it’s pretty low.
My sister has a civil partnership as that’s all that was allowed at the time. Hence why looking back it could be considered a homophobic option to do now.
For example if non white couples were not allowed to marry, only civil partner, would we not think that pretty racist and not demand we all can do it. We would fight for marriage for all wouldn’t we?
I’ll look up the stats of number of civil partnerships occurring since same sex marriage was introduced. Think it’s pretty low.

But the bolded is irrelevant because gay couples can get married now too. Civil partnerships provide an alternative not steeped in religious patriarchy
Reply 14
Who cares.
Reply 15
Original post by CoolCavy
Can't speak for all gay people obviously but it's the classic straight parade argument. Something was made for Gay people because they were excluded, now as homosexuality is finally being normalised straight people who are irritated by this now complain about 'inequality' rather than simply being grateful they have never needed a pride parade or civil partnerships.

Not all those who are pro civil partnerships for straight people are anti-gay, like myself. If marriages exist then they should exist for everyone and if civil partnerships exist then they should exist for everyone.
Okay from a peak of 15000 when first introduced in 2004, it levelled iff at 5000 per year until same sex marriage introduced in 2014 when it fell to under 1000. Mostly older male couples. (66%).
Treating two groups differently, even if its in a positive way, leads to discrimination. A classic example might be women being given 25x more parental leave than men leading to employers being scared to employ a woman.

This is clearly a harmless and good thing.

That's what they used to say about gay marriage!
Original post by Sir Cumference
Not all those who are pro civil partnerships for straight people are anti-gay, like myself. If marriages exist then they should exist for everyone and if civil partnerships exist then they should exist for everyone.

Yeh i do understand that and personally think it does make sense to offer it to everyone however the people who make this their life goal similar to that of a straight parade need to look at their priorities and why they are fighting for it.
Personally due to the connotations of it i would sooner civil partnerships be scrapped entirely and create a new second option similar to it but not called a civil partnership for those that dont believe in marriage, dont want marriage etc
Okay from a peak of 15000 when first introduced in 2004, it levelled iff at 5000 per year until same sex marriage introduced in 2014 when it fell to under 1000. Mostly older male couples. (66%).

Unless you’re advocating for the complete and total removal of civil partnerships across the board I don’t really see the point of these statistics. Just because most gay couples opt for marriage it doesn’t mean all will. Some have ideological objections to marriage as an institution

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending