The Student Room Group

Wrist hurts when I bench

Idk why this happens, it never use to occur before. I can do 105kg max ( 2 weeks ago), but ever since I tested my last max, my wrists have been hurting. This is weird cuz i done my max with good form and it didn’t go up with extreme difficulty. Why would my wrists hurt when I bench now?
Original post by crusty kebab
Idk why this happens, it never use to occur before. I can do 105kg max ( 2 weeks ago), but ever since I tested my last max, my wrists have been hurting. This is weird cuz i done my max with good form and it didn’t go up with extreme difficulty. Why would my wrists hurt when I bench now?

Please stop benching Barbell (for the time being) and switch to dumbell ASAP. Dont continue if its hurting.

I had the exact same problem as you but I was stupid and continued to barbell overhead press and barbell bench and now im pretty sure my wrists are damaged caz they feel like they wana fall off. Hopefully getting xrays soon, maybe need surgery caz I feel like Ive snapped the tendons inside 🤦🏾*♂️
(edited 4 years ago)
Ignore the above poster, utter garbage.

Where on your wrists does it hurt?
Original post by Angry cucumber

Right so not continuing to bench (and worsen the problem) when your body is essentially telling you something is wrong is garbage advice?

No wonder you're plagued with injury.
Original post by trapking
Right so not continuing to bench (and worsen the problem) when your body is essentially telling you something is wrong is garbage advice?

No wonder you're plagued with injury.

You don't know how much it's hurting, where it's hurting or why it's hurting. You told him to dumbbell bench press.
Depending on the answers to the above questions, I would tailor my advice to that. Rather than give a piece of advice based on how you ****ed up.

You are correct that I have a number of injuries, however all are non-lifting related and are related to my previous history of chemotherapy and subsequent auto immune disease. But yeah nice ad hom, bet you were happy with yourself.
(edited 4 years ago)
You don't know how much it's hurting, where it's hurting or why it's hurting. You told him to dumbbell bench press.
Depending on the answers to the above questions, I would tailor my advice to that. Rather than give a piece of advice based on how you ****ed up.

You are correct that I have a number of injuries, however all are non-lifting related and are related to my previous history of chemotherapy and subsequent auto immune disease. But yeah nice ad hom, bet you were happy with yourself.

My advice was simply for the OP to stop and figure out what's going wrong rather than continuing and making the problem far worse. The reason I proposed switching to DB's (for the time being) is to work around the problem since it puts far less strain on the wrists (and you can still train chest obviously). We both know as the weights get heavier form is everything but sometimes regardless of what you do that particular movement in question may be STILL causing you long term damage (this was true in my case and yet I even wore wrist wraps, changed my form did the whole 9 yards in order to try and fix the issue and still found barbell benching was damaging my wrists).

Also, maybe next time instead of saying someone's logical advice is "utter garbage" you'll actually think twice when it comes to wording your comments appropriately.
My advice was simply for the OP to stop and figure out what's going wrong rather than continuing and making the problem far worse. The reason I proposed switching to DB's (for the time being) is to work around the problem since it puts far less strain on the wrists (and you can still train chest obviously). We both know as the weights get heavier form is everything but sometimes regardless of what you do that particular movement in question may be STILL causing you long term damage (this was true in my case and yet I even wore wrist wraps, changed my form did the whole 9 yards in order to try and fix the issue and still found barbell benching was damaging my wrists).

A work around that might be damaging their wrists is not a work around. You don't know what's going on as I have previously stated. Hence it was poor advice.

Also, maybe next time instead of saying someone's logical advice is "utter garbage" you'll actually think twice when it comes to wording your comments appropriately.

Granted I should have said that I disagree with your advice as it is poor. I will admit I didn't think of how I worded it if it hurt your feelings, I am genuinely sorry. That does not excuse the petulant ad hom.
(edited 4 years ago)
I will admit I didn't think of how I worded it if it hurt your feelings, I am genuinely sorry. That does not excuse the petulant ad hom.

Apology accepted, I'm sorry for my comment too as I was not actually aware of your personal issues.
It hurts in the region right below my hand ( I don’t know if that’s specific enough), but every time I lift, even if it’s light, I still get this sharp stabbing pain around my wrist.

Please stop benching Barbell (for the time being) and switch to dumbell ASAP. Dont continue if its hurting.

I had the exact same problem as you but I was stupid and continued to barbell overhead press and barbell bench and now im pretty sure my wrists are damaged caz they feel like they wana fall off. Hopefully getting xrays soon, maybe need surgery caz I feel like Ive snapped the tendons inside 🤦🏾*♂️

Sorry about your situation. Does your wrist hurt less when you use dumbbells
Sorry about your situation. Does your wrist hurt less when you use dumbbells

Yeah, it was much better on the wrists but at the moment I've taken a break from lifting altogether until I get X-rays done for my wrist. It's gotten that bad as I was stupid enough to continue doing heavy barbell bench and OHP.

Then afterwards I would have a sharp pain (right on the wrist bone underneath my hand) and my wrists feel really beat up. Pretty sure I've snapped something inside tbh caz I feel grinding 😂👀
It hurts in the region right below my hand ( I don’t know if that’s specific enough), but every time I lift, even if it’s light, I still get this sharp stabbing pain around my wrist.

Which side of your wrist. Your palm side or all over? Does it hurt in general life or only when benching?
Which side of your wrist. Your palm side or all over? Does it hurt in general life or only when benching?

The palm side, and it hurt generally when I’m holding weights. It hurts less when I’m deadlifting, but when I over head press, bench or do any pushing exercise which involves dumbbells. It even hurts when I’m holding the bar behind my back when I’m squatting.
Reply 13
The palm side, and it hurt generally when I’m holding weights. It hurts less when I’m deadlifting, but when I over head press, bench or do any pushing exercise which involves dumbbells. It even hurts when I’m holding the bar behind my back when I’m squatting.

I had this a couple of years ago so I can say what the issue was for me. For me, it was because for bench and overhead press I was gripping the bar too far into my fingers instead of in my palm. Gripping like that forces your wrist to bend back when you press. If this is your issue, then try and focus on getting the bar into the crease of your thumb first and then wrap your fingers around it. This puts the bar lower down in the hand and directly above the wrist. I still do this now as trying to wrap fingers round it first still encourages me to put the bar in the wrong place. Even if this is the problem, you may still need a period of resting it to heal a bit first

As for squats, you shouldn't really be supporting the weight at all with your hands. It should be supported with your upper back mostly, and your hands are just there to prevent the bar from rolling off.

You need to take a break from lifting. Just take a week off and see what it's like. If it's hurting with every movement, there's a lot of inflammation going on.

I suspect it's the angle you're holding bars at causing this. You need to focus on your wrist being absolutely straight in like with your forearm. Suicide grip for OHP may help also as well as a narrowerer grip.
Also get yourself some good quality wrist straps for pushing movements. I got the second cheapest from strength shop and they are great.
(edited 4 years ago)
You need to take a break from lifting. Just take a week off and see what it's like. If it's hurting with every movement, there's a lot of inflammation going on.

I suspect it's the angle you're holding bars at causing this. You need to focus on your wrist being absolutely straight in like with your forearm. Suicide grip for OHP may help also as well as a narrowerer grip.
Also get yourself some good quality wrist straps for pushing movements. I got the second cheapest from strength shop and they are great.

Original post by Kyri
I had this a couple of years ago so I can say what the issue was for me. For me, it was because for bench and overhead press I was gripping the bar too far into my fingers instead of in my palm. Gripping like that forces your wrist to bend back when you press. If this is your issue, then try and focus on getting the bar into the crease of your thumb first and then wrap your fingers around it. This puts the bar lower down in the hand and directly above the wrist. I still do this now as trying to wrap fingers round it first still encourages me to put the bar in the wrong place. Even if this is the problem, you may still need a period of resting it to heal a bit first

As for squats, you shouldn't really be supporting the weight at all with your hands. It should be supported with your upper back mostly, and your hands are just there to prevent the bar from rolling off.

thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest