The Student Room Group

British people

Tell something about british people.
And explain the differences between UK and US.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Americans are very different to Brits. We share a common history and language but that is about it. Attitudes and culture are very different.
Original post by ByEeek
Americans are very different to Brits. We share a common history and language but that is about it. Attitudes and culture are very different.

But what are the differences?
Reply 3
Original post by Electric Flux

What are the similarities other than the language🤷*♀️

They are much more religeous.
They are not trusting of their government.
They are much more family orientated
They are much more community / charity oriented.
They are believers in the American Dream, the idea that if you work hard enough you can achieve what you desire.
Like we get to see in the music videos of usa rappers.
Are brits also same? Or they are too gentle?

Your thread title makes no sense
Your reply makes no sense too.

What are you actually asking? If British people are like Americans? It’s obvious to anyone with even an arbitrary awareness of the culture of the USA that we are not the same. I feel sorry for your untraveled life
Reply 7
We are very similar... but rappers? We associate them with immigrant culture.
Original post by ByEeek
They are much more religeous.
They are not trusting of their government.
They are much more family orientated
They are much more community / charity oriented.
They are believers in the American Dream, the idea that if you work hard enough you can achieve what you desire.

Absolute bs
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Absolute bs

Please educate me.

Would you agree that Americans are more conservative?
Overall we are very similar yes. Similar food, similar ethics, similar recreational culture. Differences are mostly pretty subtle.
Original post by nexttime
Overall we are very similar yes. Similar food, similar ethics, similar recreational culture. Differences are mostly pretty subtle.

Tbh as an American that was mostly raised in the UK but regularly spent time in the US with family I would disagree that the differences are that subtle. Even on the broadest of strokes of how e.g. US vs British people would behave and react to things and people are pretty different (I mean this is varied even just across the US but in the UK people are very reserved by way of comparison in how they greet and interact with other people they aren't very familiar with or haven't seen for a while). Also I would contend that the food cultures are quite different, both in how food is approached and in the types of food eaten (this is actually true even in the US; what people eat in New England, and how people see and use food there, is quite different to the food eaten in the Deep South and how people there approach food and eating).

Ethics are also a bit skewed; America is, very truly, the land of people who see themselves as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. This means a) people in the US are a lot more likely to support political positions/parties that otherwise go against their (current) self interests because it would benefit their "ideal" self and b) people in the US are more likely to view something that would generally be seen as a cut and dried ethical position in the UK as less obvious (e.g. gun rights). Part of this though, is that Americans are often less likely to "settle" for their current situation and in my experience Americans tend to "push themselves" more than British people. I also find they're more likely to speak out about what they perceive as an injustice (although that may not be viewed as such in the UK), whereas people here tend to be less inclined to "rock the boat".

Recreational culture is broadly similar, although there are some differences - how people approach alcohol for example. The way that young people approach (binge) drinking here is not really that common in the US, except in limited circumstances (e.g. frat house type cultures), but is quite widespread in the UK. Also the whole notion of pub culture and "the local pub" doesn't really exist as such in the US and drinking in a bar in the US doesn't have quite the same social connotations as doing so in a pub does.

I would say though, quite a number of these gaps are narrowing, and I think with the current political and social environment here in the UK, will continue to do so. I also don't think that is to anyone's benefit, but I digress...
The British particularly the English and Americans during most of its history were the same people.

It must always be kept in mind that the Americans and the British are two substantially similar branches of the great English race, which both before and after their separation have assimilated, and made Englishmen of many other peoples. . ." - Works of Theodore Roosevelt, National Ed., 1926, New York, Vol. VI
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
The British particularly the English and Americans during most of its history were the same people.

It must always be kept in mind that the Americans and the British are two substantially similar branches of the great English race, which both before and after their separation have assimilated, and made Englishmen of many other peoples. . ." - Works of Theodore Roosevelt, National Ed., 1926, New York, Vol. VI

Nice quote; shame there is no such thing as the ''english race''.

Have you ever actually visited the US of A?
I really love the USA and its history, particularly the state of Massachusetts due to Mayflower/Plymouth rock. And learning about the pilgrim fathers and the American enlightenment. I would really love to visit Massachusetts, I actually have close family that is pretty well off financially that live close to Boston and they keep inviting my family to visit them, so I can't wait to go eventually.
british rappers are too broke to have fancy cars and women in their music vid so they resort to leaning on their buddy a1.shotter and singing over recycled beats.

apart from that we both lit
The only good british rapper is santan dave
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
I really love the USA and its history, particularly the state of Massachusetts due to Mayflower/Plymouth rock. And learning about the pilgrim fathers and the American enlightenment. I would really love to visit Massachusetts, I actually have close family that is pretty well off financially that live close to Boston and they keep inviting my family to visit them, so I can't wait to go eventually.

That's a no then. Obviously there are some similarities due to the fact that the Americans came from the Brits but there are big differences with respect to gun control, attitudes towards healthcare, religion etc
There are similarities and differences with respect to gun control, attitudes towards healthcare and religion as you mentioned.

Gun control cannot be compared to the UK as an apple to apple comparison as the USA is a much much much bigger country. If I lived in a part of America where it takes the cops 50 minutes to come to my house in an emergency phone call then I am owning a gun.

When It comes to religion the USA has always been religious since its founding to its present day. They staunchly believe in the protestant work ethic and that God wants everyone to work hard.

When it comes to parenting American parents especially in the conservative states such as the south and midwest tend to be very strict.

What I love about the USA is that it is not centralized in one place. For example, in the UK if you wanted a high job in banking, finance, law, media, technology, consulting, Private equity/Hedge fund and even dentistry and medicine those jobs are disproportionately based in London. I knew a guy that did medicine and he told me a lot of people want to do their training in London as Hospitals in London are much more likely to use the latest technology and equipment.

In the USA top jobs can be found all across the country. Media in Los Angles, technology and finance in San Francisco, media, finance banking in NYC, a bit of everything in Texas, academia in Massachusetts - I good go on with this..........

Overall I would still prefer to live in the UK though. Once Texas goes blue in 2024 it is going to turn into a one-party country where the liberal and conservative elite lives in their own secluded gated community.
Reply 19

We stopped letting people shoot kids in schools

Their teeth are better

Quick Reply

Latest