The Student Room Group

How did you get an A*/A in A-Level Maths (AQA but maths is maths)?

Hey guys! I'm currently studying maths at A-Level and I hate it. Any advice/tips to help me improve grades and understand how to answer questions? I really appreciate your help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I'mTryingMyBest
Hey guys! I'm currently studying maths at A-Level and I hate it. Any advice/tips to help me improve grades and understand how to answer questions? I really appreciate your help.

Do as many questions as you can. Repetition is the they key for A-level unless you are truly gifted. So all AQA past papers then when you are done with those go do EDEXCEL and OCR ones.

Buy the AQA CGP A level maths book. Would highly recommend. Link for it on Amazon below. Currently getting A* / A after using it. Also I recommend physics and maths tutor for past questions and papers. If you are willing to spend some money I would recommend one to one tutoring, and I would recommend the tutoring site Spires https://spires.co . PM me and I can recommend you a tutor I’m using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Level-Maths-AQA-2017-2018/dp/1782948090/ref=nodl_
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by zetamcfc
Do as many questions as you can. Repetition is the they key for A-level unless you are truly gifted. So all AQA past papers then when you are done with those go do EDEXCEL and OCR ones.

Thanks man, I really appreciate your advice!
Original post by Anonymous_4657
Buy the AQA CGP A level maths book. Would highly recommend. Link for it on Amazon below. Currently getting A* / A after using it. Also I recommend physics and maths tutor for past questions and papers. If you are willing to spend some money I would recommend one to one tutoring, and I would recommend the tutoring site Spires https://spires.co . PM me and I can recommend you a tutor I’m using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Level-Maths-AQA-2017-2018/dp/1782948090/ref=nodl_

Thanks so much for your help! I don't really have the money to spend, but I'll be sure to check out the past papers on the PhysicsandMathstutor website. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5

Why do you hate it? Is it primarily because you’re not doing well? Or is it more because you hate learning maths / find it boring?
Reply 6
Thanks so much for your help! I don't really have the money to spend, but I'll be sure to check out the past papers on the PhysicsandMathstutor website. Thanks again :smile:

wht did u get at gcse maths

No problem. The tutoring is expensive, so if you don’t have the money I can understand. But the CGP is definitely worth the investment. It has all the topics and has excellent explanations on each topic and exam tips at the end of the book. Also if you are stuck on a question post it on here and people on the forum will answer any questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sir Cumference
Why do you hate it? Is it primarily because you’re not doing well? Or is it more because you hate learning maths / find it boring?

I hate it because I find it really hard to understand some concepts. A very good example is integration - at AS there wasn't much to it, but at A-Level it's a monster; integration by parts is the worst. :frown: I'm only doing it because most universities require maths A-Level to study Computer Science. But I'll work as hard as I can though.
Reply 9
I hate it because I find it really hard to understand some concepts. A very good example is integration - at AS there wasn't much to it, but at A-Level it's a monster; integration by parts is the worst. :frown: I'm only doing it because most universities require maths A-Level to study Computer Science. But I'll work as hard as I can though.

Can I ask what grade you got in GCSE maths?
Original post by klopp
wht did u get at gcse maths

I got an 8, but maybe I got really lucky with the papers I got to be really honest.

Yea sure, I got an 8, but I really think I got lucky with the papers I got or the grade boundaries must've been really low aha!
I got an 8, but maybe I got really lucky with the papers I got to be really honest.

Are you in year 12 or 13?
Reply 13

OMG Einstein
Reply 14
Yea sure, I got an 8, but I really think I got lucky with the papers I got or the grade boundaries must've been really low aha!

8 is a good grade
Reply 15

@crappyappy
Are you in year 12 or 13?

I'm in Year 13 now.
I'm in Year 13 now.

What are you predicted for Maths currently?
Original post by klopp
8 is a good grade

Thanks! I worked so hard. I even hated maths then as well but studying A-Level maths makes me hate it even more.
What are you predicted for Maths currently?

On my UCAS application I got predicted an A. But I think I'm really predicted a B because my school does this thing where they predict you a grade higher than what you get at AS. So the A is probably mainly to help me get into my choices.

Quick Reply

Latest