The Student Room Group

Engineering unemployment

Hi,

Just wanted to hear if anyone was unemployed for long after being graduated as an engineer? Graduated myself in July 2017 and concerned if I have chances to secure anything.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Recont
Hi,

Just wanted to hear if anyone was unemployed for long after being graduated as an engineer? Graduated myself in July 2017 and concerned if I have chances to secure anything.

Cheers

Did you graduate with a BEng or MEng (or MSc) just out of curiosity?
Reply 2
Original post by Recont
Hi,

Cheers

My mate was unemployed for two years before getting his graduate job. He had a part time job at the supermarket. I know an individual who was unemployed for several years as well. Keep going and stay strong mate.
what did you get
Original post by Recont
Hi,

Cheers

Hi I graduated in 2017 had been employed for a couple months then I quit my job and I have been unemployed till now. I have an Engineering degree too. Just have to stick to job hunting 😭
Original post by Lessuselin
Hi I graduated in 2017 had been employed for a couple months then I quit my job and I have been unemployed till now. I have an Engineering degree too. Just have to stick to job hunting 😭

what degree did you do (BEng or MEng) and in which discipline?
Reply 6
Original post by trapking
Did you graduate with a BEng or MEng (or MSc) just out of curiosity?

MEng Automotive Engineering 1-st class
Reply 7
Original post by Recont

Just had phone interview with Caterpillar for Supplier Collaboration Engineer. Finished at 10:22 and received a letter to f**k off at 10:51...
Original post by Recont
Just had phone interview with Caterpillar for Supplier Collaboration Engineer. Finished at 10:22 and received a letter to f**k off at 10:51...

Don't worry it happens.

If you would like automotive exclusive roles have a look at Contech! Also have a look at companies such as Mahle, Honda, Xtrac, LEONI etc.

Pm me if you want to connect :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Recont
Hi,

Cheers

Original post by Recont

There are typically graduate schemes for the F1 teams (e.g. mercedes and red bull racing). You can also apply for CFD graduate schemes if you managed to get any CFD experience during your degree, e.g. Siemens, Arup, Atkins etc.

Don't be afraid to look for roles in data science, consultancy, technology graduate and finance. You will have to accept that you may not necessarily get exactly what you want.

Also get someone from TSR to look at your CV. Keep it one page. Make sure everything is black and highlight important key words/phrases (in bold) if they are mentioned in the job description. Use a template for cover letters.

Practice STAR responses to everything.

I'm sure you've already done most, if not all of this, so I apologise if that is the case, but maybe there are small things you can improve or have missed, and maybe this will help others too.
Not exactly the same as I am not an engineering graduate but I am in a similar position. Graduated in 2018 - July - and I am still looking. Thankfully I have a few internships since finishing and make sure you get yourself a part time job - if you haven't already. Employers do not like it when someone has been sitting around not working at all since graduation.
Was in a similar situation- graduated 2014 (First class MEng from top 10 UK uni, experience in a consultancy, studied abroad at top 20 world uni... plenty of extracurriculars... average interpersonal skills) didn't land a graduate engineering role until this summer. Un and underemployed almost as long as the 5 year course!

Prospects aren't as good as they used to be- there are twice as many engineering graduates as jobs on average so it can be a bit of a nightmare if you're unsuccessful first time round.
Original post by swelshie
Was in a similar situation- graduated 2014 (First class MEng from top 10 UK uni, experience in a consultancy, studied abroad at top 20 world uni... plenty of extracurriculars... average interpersonal skills) didn't land a graduate engineering role until this summer. Un and underemployed almost as long as the 5 year course!

Prospects aren't as good as they used to be- there are twice as many engineering graduates as jobs on average so it can be a bit of a nightmare if you're unsuccessful first time round.

oh no. should I drop out. all these posts make me very anxious
Original post by 0le
My mate was unemployed for two years before getting his graduate job. He had a part time job at the supermarket. I know an individual who was unemployed for several years as well. Keep going and stay strong mate.

what uni and degree of ur m8
Reply 14
Original post by Proxenus
what uni and degree of ur m8

Bristol and engineering, why? I would not have given the example is the degree was not relevant.
Dont drop out - thats a very fine degree which gives you loads of options. Try to get working experience both related to future careers and of the more mundane skills enhancing variety (meaning retail or service industry for example).
Original post by Recont
Hi,

Cheers

Did you do a year in industry?
Original post by Muttley79
Did you do a year in industry?

Even with a year in industry nothing is guaranteed these days. I have friends who did year in industry's and also struggled to find work (that is if the company didn't take them on for their graduate roles).
Original post by trapking
Even with a year in industry nothing is guaranteed these days. I have friends who did year in industry's and also struggled to find work (that is if the company didn't take them on for their graduate roles).

don't make me sad trap
Original post by Proxenus
don't make me sad trap

That doesn't mean you should give up though.

Perseverance is key.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending