The Student Room Group

6 Months to Get into University - Will I Ever Become A Teacher? Grow Your Grades Blog

[scrollr]GROW YOUR GRADES - A LEVELS 2020[/scrollr]

:ymca:

ALL UPDATES WILL BE MADE ON THE ORIGINAL POST - DATES WILL BE INCLUDED WITH EACH UPDATE WHICH WILL TYPICALLY BE WITHIN THE SPECIFIC SUBJECT SPOILERS - THIS IS TO STOP INFORMATION GETTING LOST BELOW SO ALL INFORMATION CAN BE EASILY ACCESSED BY ANYBODY WHO NEEDS IT :u:

Hello! Welcome to my Grow Your Grades blog! My name is Codie, and I am a year 13 student studying Biology, English Literature, History and Level 3 Mathematical Studies. I work part time in my local bakery on weekends, go to sixth-form full time, all while trying to balance looking after my pets, studying, spending time with family and friends and overall having a healthy work-life balance.
I must admit, I am very average when it comes to my grades. I'm not doing so well when starting this blog, so this blog will mainly be my record of different revision techniques, progress I'm making using them, and any other resource I find helpful, because maybe you will too! :woo:
All the relevant information you need is under the titles spoilers below, because then you don't have to read anything you don't want to know about!
Please feel free to comment to put this thread in your "watched threads" file on your account, or with any questions or anything you'd like me to cover!

GCSE RESULTS 2018

Spoiler

HOW I PICKED MY A LEVELS

Spoiler

MY YEAR 12 EXPERIENCE

Spoiler

UCAS TRACK

Spoiler

YEAR 13 MOCK RESULTS - NOVEMBER 2019

Spoiler

OCR A A LEVEL BIOLOGY

Spoiler

AQA A A LEVEL ENGLISH LITERATURE

Spoiler

AQA A LEVEL HISTORY OPTIONS 1F AND 2R

Spoiler

AQA LEVEL 3 CERTIFICATE IN MATHEMATICAL STUDIES

Spoiler

HOW I ORGANISE MY NOTES

Spoiler

THINGS KEEP GOING WRONG
:frown:

Spoiler

With the exams of summer 2020 being cancelled, I will no longer be updating this blog as I feel there would be no true representation of how I have improved due to all grades being unregulated and decided by teachers. If you believe any techniques could help you, feel free to look on this blog, however no further updates will be added
(edited 4 years ago)
Happy New Year and good luck with your studies! What pets do you have? :gah:
Good luck with your blog!! Do you think you'll go into primary or secondary teaching?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
Happy New Year and good luck with your studies! What pets do you have? :gah:

Happy New Year to you too! I have 2 horses and a dog :smile:
Original post by codiethompson
Happy New Year to you too! I have 2 horses and a dog :smile:

Amazing! A number of my school friends have gone to Edge Hill and there's one who is studying Primary Education. She's loving it so far :smile:
Original post by lphistory
Good luck with your blog!! Do you think you'll go into primary or secondary teaching?

I’ve applied to do primary, purely because I love the fact there’s more variety in what you teach, you don’t have to teach just one subject every single day, and that way I can keep working on my knowledge! Plus with work experience I’ve found that younger children tend to be more enthusiastic about learning and that if you want to make an impact and encourage a love of education you need to do it while kids are young :h:
I’ve applied to do primary, purely because I love the fact there’s more variety in what you teach, you don’t have to teach just one subject every single day, and that way I can keep working on my knowledge! Plus with work experience I’ve found that younger children tend to be more enthusiastic about learning and that if you want to make an impact and encourage a love of education you need to do it while kids are young :h:

That sounds epic!! I'm interested in teaching, but for secondary. You sound genuinely passionate about it and what you'll be doing!
Reply 7
I also do English Literature but the board Edexcel. I'm also in year 13 and it's not going so great. My grades for the subject are looking high, so I wondering whether you had some tips on how I could improve and gain a high grade in the short time we have left before exams. :smile:
Original post by J.555
I also do English Literature but the board Edexcel. I'm also in year 13 and it's not going so great. My grades for the subject are looking high, so I wondering whether you had some tips on how I could improve and gain a high grade in the short time we have left before exams. :smile:

I'm assuming that the exam structures are quite similar for this but here's what I'm doing:
I'm starting to do practice essays for my teachers and asking them to mark them, they probably won't get back to me straight away and a little nagging won't hurt. I have a teacher who is a lazy marker and doesn't really give any constructive feedback so I have to rely on the feedback from my other teacher - which is why my mock result was low - so i'm planning on speaking to her about it
Today one of my teachers suggested sitting in on her year 12 lessons since they're about to start learning one of the books we need for our exam, so that way we can go in, get fresh interpretations and revise the content - i'm not sure if your school could do this but make sure you see! I unfortunately can't sit in on any due to my timetable but i'm doing it in history and it's more helpful than you'd think!
these are the only things i'm doing right now since school's only just started back and everythings a bit of a mess at the minute, but if you check back on this thread regularly and look under the English Literature spoiler I'll be recording any techniques and resources in there if you need to find something else to help :smile:
Reply 9
I'm assuming that the exam structures are quite similar for this but here's what I'm doing:
I'm starting to do practice essays for my teachers and asking them to mark them, they probably won't get back to me straight away and a little nagging won't hurt. I have a teacher who is a lazy marker and doesn't really give any constructive feedback so I have to rely on the feedback from my other teacher - which is why my mock result was low - so i'm planning on speaking to her about it
Today one of my teachers suggested sitting in on her year 12 lessons since they're about to start learning one of the books we need for our exam, so that way we can go in, get fresh interpretations and revise the content - i'm not sure if your school could do this but make sure you see! I unfortunately can't sit in on any due to my timetable but i'm doing it in history and it's more helpful than you'd think!
these are the only things i'm doing right now since school's only just started back and everythings a bit of a mess at the minute, but if you check back on this thread regularly and look under the English Literature spoiler I'll be recording any techniques and resources in there if you need to find something else to help :smile:

Submit replyI hope you will achieve what you desire and that your teachers miraculously become helpful. :redface: Thank you so much for the advice and for creating this thread. I'll be sure to check back. :smile:
Hi!
As its half term now, I thought i'd bump this thread so people can see the progress made so far and what techniques are currently working for me in my subjects :smile:
Remember - all updates are made to the ORIGINAL post in this blog under the respective headers, so check back every now and then to see what's changed
Feel free to comment any questions :smile:
Hi!
As its half term now, I thought i'd bump this thread so people can see the progress made so far and what techniques are currently working for me in my subjects :smile:
Remember - all updates are made to the ORIGINAL post in this blog under the respective headers, so check back every now and then to see what's changed
Feel free to comment any questions :smile:

Hi u should add posts underneath here so it's not just one loongg post at the top.
Good luck with your studies ☺️
Original post by AmberDalia
Hi u should add posts underneath here so it's not just one loongg post at the top.
Good luck with your studies ☺️

Hi :smile:
The reason behind me adding everything to the first post is so then people don't have to scroll through pages and pages of comments looking for ones that theyre actually interested in - eg if theyre only interested in biology revision they can quickly go to the top and look under the biology spoiler rather than scroll through lots of comments about different subjects since I feel like that'll be the better system :smile:
However I will continue to post underneath and different intervals to bump the thread and remind people to check back in on it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending