The Student Room Group

PE Teaching

Im currently doing a study sports coaching and development degree at uni. Then I would like to go on and do a year long secondary education degree. The only thing I’ve heard may hold me back in getting a place to do my education degree is the fact I don’t have my Nat 5 maths would I have to resit this before applying for a place or would I get a place considering I’ve already got a degree in sports coaching and development? Really I’m just wondering would not having nat 5 maths be a problem when wanting to become a pe teacher ?
Original post by EmmaMills1010
Im currently doing a study sports coaching and development degree at uni. Then I would like to go on and do a year long secondary education degree. The only thing I’ve heard may hold me back in getting a place to do my education degree is the fact I don’t have my Nat 5 maths would I have to resit this before applying for a place or would I get a place considering I’ve already got a degree in sports coaching and development? Really I’m just wondering would not having nat 5 maths be a problem when wanting to become a pe teacher ?

All teachers in the UK are expected to meet minimum standards of literacy/numeracy, so you would need to pass your Nat 5 maths before being able to start a PGCE/PGDE in Scotland/rUK. It doesn't matter what subject you would be teaching, you'll still need a certain level of maths- and actually I know in England, GCSE PE can involve quite a bit of maths. As well as this, you'll be expected to managed and interpret data for your classes.

In Scotland, there are online courses that give you a Nat 5 equivalent which is acceptable for teaching. I'm not sure if these would be seen as acceptable in rUK. English unis don't accept GCSE "equivalents" for maths. There's an example of a course here: https://on.abdn.ac.uk/courses/access-maths-5/

In England, you can apply with your GCSE grade as "pending", but you would need to pass before you start the course.
Original post by EmmaMills1010

Hi @EmmaMills1010, our admissions team will be more than happy to help with your query! You can email them on [email protected] or call 01243816002, do you have a GCSE in Maths?

There are equivalency tests available if you have a strong application :smile:

Here is our course page if you wanted to have a look: https://www.chi.ac.uk/institute-education/our-courses/pgce-qualifications/pgce-secondary-physical-education-pe
Original post by University of Chichester
Hi @EmmaMills1010, our admissions team will be more than happy to help with your query! You can email them on [email protected] or call 01243816002, do you have a GCSE in Maths?

There are equivalency tests available if you have a strong application :smile:

Here is our course page if you wanted to have a look: https://www.chi.ac.uk/institute-education/our-courses/pgce-qualifications/pgce-secondary-physical-education-pe

In England, equivalency tests are not accepted for teaching courses as it's a legal requirement to have a full GCSE to get QTS.

I would suggest that if OP has a GCSE, she wouldn't be this concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending