The Student Room Group

fefssdf's road to (Hopefully) a Graduate Job....

Hey guys, so after being inspired by all the grow my grades type threads I thought I would set up a thread about my graduate job search progress.

It feels like I've hit a brick wall at the moment and I thought perhaps if I had a thread going it would give me a bit of motivation to keep applying and staying positive.

For context- I achieved a 2:1 in my Mathematics BSc from a Russel Group Uni in July 2019.

In terms of experience, I have worked in customer service, events management, office admin, and even education.

I am pretty open to different careers and have had a lot of interviews already and completed a lot of online tests ect but haven't got anywhere yet.

Update as of 27th December 2019

Today I applied for a graduate role in trading desk operations after getting a message about it on LinkedIn. Application process so far has just involved submitting my cv and answering a couple of questions about my interest in the role.

Yesterday I completed an online test for a business development role with Amazon, which I thought went ok. I also applied for a client engagement role with visa which involved submitting a cover letter and cv, along with a customer development role with P&G.

Still waiting to hear back from the Ocado grad scheme I submitted an interview about a month ago.

Got an online test to do for Grant Thorton so I will try and do that within the next few days.

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck:woo:
I love maths:gah:
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
Best of luck:woo:
I love maths:gah:

thank you, I don't mind a bit of maths but my degree was rather painful
Of course I am gonna watch a fellow maths student get a grad job! So exciting; especially since I recognise you from your pre-uni posts 3-4 years ago back when I was in Secondary school and now you have graduated...😭 time really flies.
Reply 4
Original post by MajorFader
Of course I am gonna watch a fellow maths student get a grad job! So exciting; especially since I recognise you from your pre-uni posts 3-4 years ago back when I was in Secondary school and now you have graduated...😭 time really flies.

Hey!! I did secretly hope that someone might have recognised me if they’ve been on TSR a while and yeh time really does fly. Think I started using TSR around year 10 and now it’s 6 months after completing my degree!

How’s your post-maths degree career been going? Have you got a job already or are u on the job hunt like me?

I aim to post updates as often as I can on here regarding my progress which I hope should culminate in me getting a great job ( or not )

I’ve quite a long list of applications yet to be started so that will be my main aim for the next week :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Hey!! I did secretly hope that someone might have recognised me if they’ve been on TSR a while and yeh time really does fly. Think I started using TSR around year 10 and now it’s 6 months after completing my degree!

How’s your post-maths degree career been going? Have you got a job already or are u on the job hunt like me?

I aim to post updates as often as I can on here regarding my progress which I hope should culminate in me getting a great job ( or not )

I’ve quite a long list of applications yet to be started so that will be my main aim for the next week :smile:

Lool no I’m in first year of my maths degree 😭. I’m a yungen...

I’d used to stalk your posts about your maths degree just to see what it entailed and so forth and I know from your posts that it has been a rough ride for you. That’s why I’m excited for this journey lol...

Did you go any internships in 2nd year?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MajorFader
Lool no I’m in first year of my maths degree 😭. I’m a yungen...

I’d used to stalk your pets about your maths degree just to see how what it entailed and so forth and I know from your posts that it has been a rough ride for you. That’s why I’m excited for this journey lol...

Did you go any internships in 2nd year?

Ahhh I forget sometimes just how many posts I’ve made on this site. Feel like I can trace back my entire university journey just from looking through my old threads ahaha. And yes my maths degree and university in general wasn’t a pleasant experience. Unfortunately struggling to handle the social aspect in terms of struggling to make friends, falling into negative groups, and spiralling into 6 months of severe depression means I can’t really look back on my degree as something positive. I had a lot of panic attacks, depressive episodes, was seeing a therapist for months and then at one point couldn’t face leaving the house and then you had 3rd year where I just kind of stopped going to lectures altogether and focused all my energy on finally being happy again which resulted in lots of alcohol, flirting with guys and lack of any work which meant I ended up with a 28% in one of the modules... but weirdly because I was entitled to resits, since my mental health meant I lost control of reality basically meant I got a 2:1 since the uni ignored two of my modules and calculated my grade based on the remaining credits which got me dead on 60%.

Unfortunately since the January of my second year of uni was when my first major depression episodes started I wasn’t thinking about graduate jobs or internships ect. I did however did an internship with teach first but that involved working in a school and I’ve since decided teaching isn’t the career for me as a result of having worked in schools for many months and not really enjoying it whatsoever... so not really like that internship will help in job applications.

The jobs I am interested in include

Recruitment consultant
Data analyst
Finance things
Supply chain
Customer based grad schemes
Jobs within higher education
Other consulting type roles

I’m honestly pretty open to most sectors hence why I’m made a tonne of applications

Hope first year maths is going ok for you!!!
what uni are u at?
Original post by fefssdf
Ahhh I forget sometimes just how many posts I’ve made on this site. Feel like I can trace back my entire university journey just from looking through my old threads ahaha. And yes my maths degree and university in general wasn’t a pleasant experience. Unfortunately struggling to handle the social aspect in terms of struggling to make friends, falling into negative groups, and spiralling into 6 months of severe depression means I can’t really look back on my degree as something positive. I had a lot of panic attacks, depressive episodes, was seeing a therapist for months and then at one point couldn’t face leaving the house and then you had 3rd year where I just kind of stopped going to lectures altogether and focused all my energy on finally being happy again which resulted in lots of alcohol, flirting with guys and lack of any work which meant I ended up with a 28% in one of the modules... but weirdly because I was entitled to resits, since my mental health meant I lost control of reality basically meant I got a 2:1 since the uni ignored two of my modules and calculated my grade based on the remaining credits which got me dead on 60%.

Unfortunately since the January of my second year of uni was when my first major depression episodes started I wasn’t thinking about graduate jobs or internships ect. I did however did an internship with teach first but that involved working in a school and I’ve since decided teaching isn’t the career for me as a result of having worked in schools for many months and not really enjoying it whatsoever... so not really like that internship will help in job applications.

The jobs I am interested in include

Recruitment consultant
Data analyst
Finance things
Supply chain
Customer based grad schemes
Jobs within higher education
Other consulting type roles

I’m honestly pretty open to most sectors hence why I’m made a tonne of applications

Hope first year maths is going ok for you!!!
what uni are u at?

Yeah I think the stress of looking for jobs can really give you anxiety about leaving uni tbh. Very happy you made it through because you were seriously considering dropping out at one point and I was proper rooting for you 😭 (that’s kinda embarrassing tbh).
First year isn’t too bad; I go to the University of York and first term was lovely. We even have a refreshers week when we get back so another full week of my liver being hammered. Anyway, I’ll be watching this thread closely so you’ll definitely be seeing my messages.
Reply 8
Have you used your career service? Have you considered applying to a graduate programme that your uni runs? Have you considered working, or have applied to startups in London (they have plenty of opportunities available)?
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
Have you used your career service? Have you considered applying to a graduate programme that your uni runs? Have you considered working, or have applied to startups in London (they have plenty of opportunities available)?

Hey yes, I have actually already applied for the ambitious futures grad scheme! I got an email saying I’d hear back to see if I’ve made it to the next stage by the end of January when applications have closed. And yeh I have to some extent- had an interview with a small start up tech firm for this job but didn’t get it since I’ve heard nothing back after an interview I had about a month ago haha
Reply 10
Hey guys,

So here is an update as of 30th December 2019.

Yesterday I completed two online tests- one for an Audit Placement Role with Grant Thorton, and a grad scheme with the Financial Conduct Authority.

I'm pleased to say I received a congratulatory email from the one I did for a grad scheme with the financial conduct authority, and so now my next task is to answer the motivation questions so I'll get started on that later!

I also received an invitation to an assessment centre today for a rather unexpected job...British Airways Cabin Crew at London City Aiport :0 I applied back in early November so I find it a bit weird that I've only heard back today but I booked the 20th January as the one I am going to attend so I'll be reporting back regarding how that one goes!
Reply 11
Here’s an update as of 31st December 2019

So today I applied for a couple of roles I’d saved on LinkedIn. One was in insurance, and another was a recruitment/sales position.

I also spent some more time tackling the motivation questions for the financial conduct authority graduate scheme which proved to be pretty time-consuming! Happy with 2/4 answers so I’ll continue working on this tomorrow and hopefully have it submitted by the end of the day.
Reply 12
Update as of 1st January 2020

Firstly happy new year to everyone following this thread :biggrin:

So today I finished the motivation questions for the Financial Conduct Authority grad scheme application. Feeling relieved to have finally got these submitted and I’m looking forward to see if I made it through to the next stage which is a telephone interview.

Haven’t heard back anything else yet but I’m hoping that since business should be back to usual as of tomorrow I might hear something from some of the other roles I have been applying for!
Reply 13
Hey guys, so here is an update as of January 2nd 2020

So today I applied for another administrative job, in my area, and sadly I heard back from a similar position I applied for back in December as this role has now been cancelled :/

Still haven’t heard back from capital one and it’s been a couple of weeks since I completed the video interview for them. I don’t think it went that well but I’d rather know either way!

Haven’t heard from Grant Thornton yet as to whether I passed their online assessment or not. I just got a strengths and weaknesses report back but no indication as to whether I made it to the next stage or not.

Going to spend the afternoon doing some more applications and hopefully I might hear back from someone soon.
Original post by fefssdf
Hey guys, so here is an update as of January 2nd 2020

So today I applied for another administrative job, in my area, and sadly I heard back from a similar position I applied for back in December as this role has now been cancelled :/

Still haven’t heard back from capital one and it’s been a couple of weeks since I completed the video interview for them. I don’t think it went that well but I’d rather know either way!

Haven’t heard from Grant Thornton yet as to whether I passed their online assessment or not. I just got a strengths and weaknesses report back but no indication as to whether I made it to the next stage or not.

Going to spend the afternoon doing some more applications and hopefully I might hear back from someone soon.

Would you take the cabin crew one if you got it?
Reply 15
Original post by trapking
Would you take the cabin crew one if you got it?

I had a bit of a think about it and I don’t think that job is for me. The pay is really quite low and wouldn’t mean I’d be able to afford to live the sort of London lifestyle I’d aspire towards. So I decided I won’t be going to the assessment day on the 20th. Going to focus my efforts towards more of the standard grad schemes.
Original post by fefssdf
I had a bit of a think about it and I don’t think that job is for me. The pay is really quite low and wouldn’t mean I’d be able to afford to live the sort of London lifestyle I’d aspire towards. So I decided I won’t be going to the assessment day on the 20th. Going to focus my efforts towards more of the standard grad schemes.

Good choice.

Good luck! Keeping an eye on your progress, keep it up.
Good luck OP.

Remember to utilise your network as much as you can - reach out to friends, family, former coworkers, former teachers, alumni and even just random people. Don't be afraid to ask people for a couple of mins of their time to learn about their journeys into their current careers and how you could potentially follow in their footsteps. If they like you enough, they could get the ball rolling for a referral or even loop you into an interview process.

Don't give up, recruiting for decent grad jobs (and internships really) is an absolute grind.
Reply 18
Original post by trapking
Good choice.

Good luck! Keeping an eye on your progress, keep it up.

Thank you :biggrin: I’ll be posting as often as I can regarding my progress :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Princepieman
Good luck OP.

Remember to utilise your network as much as you can - reach out to friends, family, former coworkers, former teachers, alumni and even just random people. Don't be afraid to ask people for a couple of mins of their time to learn about their journeys into their current careers and how you could potentially follow in their footsteps. If they like you enough, they could get the ball rolling for a referral or even loop you into an interview process.

Don't give up, recruiting for decent grad jobs (and internships really) is an absolute grind.

Hey,

I agree, I’ve had a lot of productive conversations with people in my network which has leas me to be more open when it comes to the sort of jobs I can see myself doing. It certainly helps having more first-hand knowledge about certain careers too as opposed to just kind of reading a vague job advert.

Thank you, and yeh I’ll try not to give up. It’s really hard when I’m getting rejections coming through on a pretty regular basis but I understand these jobs have a lot of demand going for them because they’re good opportunities after all but I guess the more things I apply for the more chance I have of securing something :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending