The Student Room Group

Applying to uni in S5?

Hi there,
I’m hoping to apply for midwifery this time next year and was just wondering how it would work considering I won’t have sat my highers yet and would only be available for a conditional offer, would this lower my chances applying early and not doing S6?
It depends on your predicted grades, if they meet the entry requirements there’s no reason you should be at less of a disadvantage of getting a conditional than someone who has sat their exam. Waiting the extra year does give you the chance to get more work experience in order to increase chance of getting into your uni of choice though
Original post by ella1902
It depends on your predicted grades, if they meet the entry requirements there’s no reason you should be at less of a disadvantage of getting a conditional than someone who has sat their exam. Waiting the extra year does give you the chance to get more work experience in order to increase chance of getting into your uni of choice though

Thank you for the reply, I want to study midwifery and it’s very difficult to get work experience as there is a huge confidentiality barrier so I was told my the RGU admissions team that if you haven’t managed to get around that, it’s okay and you will still be considered just as much as someone who has. I’m sitting my Nat 5s this year and trying to think as practically as possible, obviously depending on my results which my predicted grades currently show me surpassing the requirements I need to take certain subjects to higher, realistically is it possible and would it be a good idea to apply in the coming year after getting my Nat 5 results? Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Ellie.mac101
Thank you for the reply, I want to study midwifery and it’s very difficult to get work experience as there is a huge confidentiality barrier so I was told my the RGU admissions team that if you haven’t managed to get around that, it’s okay and you will still be considered just as much as someone who has. I’m sitting my Nat 5s this year and trying to think as practically as possible, obviously depending on my results which my predicted grades currently show me surpassing the requirements I need to take certain subjects to higher, realistically is it possible and would it be a good idea to apply in the coming year after getting my Nat 5 results? Thanks

Hey, I’m actually In the same situation as you, but I want to do adult nursing. I failed my Nat 5s prelims so I doubt I’ll do any better in my final exams. But I think for nursing you need a higher English. What university are you thinking of going to?
Original post by BRH1234
Hey, I’m actually In the same situation as you, but I want to do adult nursing. I failed my Nat 5s prelims so I doubt I’ll do any better in my final exams. But I think for nursing you need a higher English. What university are you thinking of going to?

Only three options for going straight into midwifery in Scotland, either Robert Gordon in Aberdeen, Edinburgh Napier or the Lanarkshire campus of UWS, I’ve been on an insight day with Robert Gordon and the staff I met seemed really nice and helpful, but the resources seem better in Edinburgh and it’s closer to home for me in the highlands so one of them I think, where are you hoping study? Don’t lose faith there’s a big time gap between prelims and actual exams, I’m not sure but if you check your desired university requirements it should say there

Yeah as long as you’re sure this is the course for you I would absolutely apply in s5 as there’s no disadvantage to it, if you get it great, if you don’t you can just continue onto s6 and reapply then. Just make sure you take the subjects necessary and go to open days
Reply 6
Only three options for going straight into midwifery in Scotland, either Robert Gordon in Aberdeen, Edinburgh Napier or the Lanarkshire campus of UWS, I’ve been on an insight day with Robert Gordon and the staff I met seemed really nice and helpful, but the resources seem better in Edinburgh and it’s closer to home for me in the highlands so one of them I think, where are you hoping study? Don’t lose faith there’s a big time gap between prelims and actual exams, I’m not sure but if you check your desired university requirements it should say there

Thanks, I’m hoping to study at Glasgow Caledonian or city of Glasgow college because I’m just 20 mins out of Glasgow city centre. I’ve actually not considered Edinburgh before
Original post by BRH1234
Thanks, I’m hoping to study at Glasgow Caledonian or city of Glasgow college because I’m just 20 mins out of Glasgow city centre. I’ve actually not considered Edinburgh before

A lot mor university’s offer Adult Nursing, there’s a lot of uni comparison websites if you just google your course and then put Scotland it should come up with a list of all the places that offer it. It’s good to see what the difference in the way the course is taught as well, like for me Aberdeen is slightly more placement teaching than actual lectures and Edinburgh has more lectures, guess it just depends on how you find it easiest to learn
Reply 8
A lot mor university’s offer Adult Nursing, there’s a lot of uni comparison websites if you just google your course and then put Scotland it should come up with a list of all the places that offer it. It’s good to see what the difference in the way the course is taught as well, like for me Aberdeen is slightly more placement teaching than actual lectures and Edinburgh has more lectures, guess it just depends on how you find it easiest to learn

Yeah thanks, I’ll have a look into more unis
Original post by BRH1234

Hey, honestly don't worry too much about your prelim grades. I have been notorious for performing poor in prelims over the last two years (and my prelims rn as god that advanced higher english prelim I sat last week was disgusting) and definitely far from what I would like to achieve yet I manage in the end. In all honesty, when prelims come you are never ready and if you are sitting exams for the first time, it's so scary so don't worry! you have so much time to work on it.

My Higher prelim results 2019: B, B, D, fail, fail
My final Higher results 2019: A, A, A, B, C

Just shows that you can do it if you put your mind to it! Prelims are just a waste. You got this, good luck for Nat 5's and your uni application :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rmason28
Hey, honestly don't worry too much about your prelim grades. I have been notorious for performing poor in prelims over the last two years (and my prelims rn as god that advanced higher english prelim I sat last week was disgusting) and definitely far from what I would like to achieve yet I manage in the end. In all honesty, when prelims come you are never ready and if you are sitting exams for the first time, it's so scary so don't worry! you have so much time to work on it.

My Higher prelim results 2019: B, B, D, fail, fail
My final Higher results 2019: A, A, A, B, C

Just shows that you can do it if you put your mind to it! Prelims are just a waste. You got this, good luck for Nat 5's and your uni application :smile:

Thank you so much!! Definitely calmed my nerves for sitting my prelims this coming week seeing what can be achieved with hard work 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending