The Student Room Group

Private parking charge

Hi, I was parked in a private car park where a business had recently closed down as it is close to my uni and a few other people had also parked there. I did it for a month or two no issues until recently I received ~5 parking charge notices from the IPC/premier parking logistics. The photos they have attached just display the car parked in the bay and small signs attached to the walls behind above but you can't clearly make out that these are the 'contracts' /rules. The photos clearly show the businsss being shut down. I payed one like an idiot, but the others I've appealed and been rejected or I have ignored. Do I now go through the Ipa or do I continue to ignore them. Baring in mind these letters have come quite slowly in the post and they have bumped the fine up. Tia
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymousss77
Hi, I was parked in a private car park where a business had recently closed down as it is close to my uni and a few other people had also parked there. I did it for a month or two no issues until recently I received ~5 parking charge notices from the IPC/premier parking logistics. The photos they have attached just display the car parked in the bay and small signs attached to the walls behind above but you can't clearly make out that these are the 'contracts' /rules. The photos clearly show the businsss being shut down. I payed one like an idiot, but the others I've appealed and been rejected or I have ignored. Do I now go through the Ipa or do I continue to ignore them. Baring in mind these letters have come quite slowly in the post and they have bumped the fine up. Tia

Do NOT ignore them or you may find yourself up in court.
Original post by IWMTom
Do NOT ignore them or you may find yourself up in court.

Should I go through the Ipa then? It's just that I expect these guys to reject the appeal
Reply 3
Should I go through the Ipa then? It's just that I expect these guys to reject the appeal

You can try... but what are your grounds for appeal?

You parked in the car park, correct? Did you pay? Presumably not.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Do you have grounds for appeal? The way you describe it sounds like you've parked somewhere you knew you weren't supposed to be?
Yeah it was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be I just assumed I'd be fine leaving it there seeing as the business was shut down and you could barely notice the signs only if you walked up to them
Reply 6
Yeah it was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be I just assumed I'd be fine leaving it there seeing as the business was shut down and you could barely notice the signs only if you walked up to them

When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

You have no grounds for appeal. Pay up.
Ignorance is not an excuse

Yeah, whatever business there may have stopped trading, but them or someone else still owns and/or maintains the property, obviously a parking firm is still contracted, likely by the factor.

Sucks to be hit with the multiples but I don't see what you could say in defense..I have a suspicion the requirement for large, clear signage is inversely proportional to how much right you have to be there at all. Like a carpark open to the public needs to be kinda foolproof, so it will have big clear signs telling you who/when can park there and the consequences of a mistake. Whereas a private lot that offers no services will not need to take this into account as much.

As far as I can tell the parking place doesn't have to use the IPA dispute service If they don't want to, and as you've already accepted liability by paying 1 of them it likely has an impact on the others, certainly in terms of whether they are obligated to entertain an appeal :/
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah, whatever business there may have stopped trading, but them or someone else still owns and/or maintains the property, obviously a parking firm is still contracted, likely by the factor.

Sucks to be hit with the multiples but I don't see what you could say in defense..I have a suspicion the requirement for large, clear signage is inversely proportional to how much right you have to be there at all. Like a carpark open to the public needs to be kinda foolproof, so it will have big clear signs telling you who/when can park there and the consequences of a mistake. Whereas a private lot that offers no services will not need to take this into account as much.

As far as I can tell the parking place doesn't have to use the IPA dispute service If they don't want to, and as you've already accepted liability by paying 1 of them it likely has an impact on the others, certainly in terms of whether they are obligated to entertain an appeal :/

Thanks, do you reckon I have a chance if I speak to the new owner of the business as I've seen it being refurbished recently and ask if they could remove the fines or even reduce them? If not should I call premier parking logistics and convince them to allow me to pay the £60 if not just suck it up and pay £100 for each😭
Reply 10
Thanks, do you reckon I have a chance if I speak to the new owner of the business as I've seen it being refurbished recently and ask if they could remove the fines or even reduce them? If not should I call premier parking logistics and convince them to allow me to pay the £60 if not just suck it up and pay £100 for each😭

The owner of the business doesn't actually have much say in the matter, and as you weren't a customer I don't see why they would help anyway.

Try and see whether the parking company will accept a settlement for all of the fines.
Tip for the future, businesses don't typically pay for private enforcement. The companies are given the contract on the basis that they can keep any money made from the penalty fares.

If the new owner is not the landlord then they will be unlikely to be able to help and even if they are most contracts stipulate that the parking company is at sole discretion whether or not to apply the penalty notice. They rarely rescind them in my experience of managing those contracts.
Original post by IWMTom
The owner of the business doesn't actually have much say in the matter, and as you weren't a customer I don't see why they would help anyway.

Try and see whether the parking company will accept a settlement for all of the fines.

Okay I'll try give them a call, I've tried before it just goes to some ee voicemail
Would you park on a drive of an empty house without permission? No of course not.

As a few others have said, I doubt talking to the new tenant would get you anywhere, they likely have nothing to do with the parking side of it which is likely the buildings owner, and the main reason they turn over the contract to a private parking co is that they don't want to deal with it. They would likely politely tell you to direct all queries to the parking firm.

Imagine you'd just rented a retail space and some random wandered up and complained they got parking penalties from a parking company weeks ago? what else could you say apart from 'that sucks, you'll need to take it up with them'

Trying to convince/beg PPL into a settlement might be worth a try given the amounts involved but no idea what they would say, that is after all their revenue you're talking about.
Reply 16
Your only real recourse is to appeal on the basis the business that used the car park was not active at the time and therefore the car park had no users, and therefore you don't think the charge is justified. I haven't found precedent for this particular case online so how successful you would be I do not know. Probably unsuccessful to be honest!

If the car park signs were not clear then again you may have a dispute, but if you can walk up to it and see it, you could have left the car park immediately. I assume you didn't so this probably won't work.

The moral of the story is don't park somewhere you shouldn't. It makes life difficult for everyone else.
Reply 17
Original post by Talon
Your only real recourse is to appeal on the basis the business that used the car park was not active at the time and therefore the car park had no users, and therefore you don't think the charge is justified.

The business next to the car park has nothing to do with the car park. The parking company controls it regardless of who is nearby.
Reply 18
Check Moneysavingexpert- they have guides on appealing private parking charges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending