The Student Room Group
Original post by shobnaam x
I want to go on to study Law at university but I don’t know whether to pick Law or criminology.
Law at most unis don’t have any subject requirements. Many people say A-level law is boring and that criminology is very interesting and enjoyable. Can’t decideeeee

TBH you don’t need either law or criminology to do Law at uni. The very best unis eg. Russell group unis will want you to do a much more well regarded subject such as English lit or history.

These subjects have transferable skills such as careful analysis which u can apply to a law degree.
Choose whatever interest you but look at the course content and how the exam is structured. However, you dont need law or criminology if youre doing it to help you when you do your law degree because it doesnt give you more help than other a levels, which will give you skills applicable in the future. I dont think criminology is an a-level tho
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree with what @proudmonkey has to say. For Law at my 6th form people studied Economics, History, English-Lit, Geography or even sciences and Maths. I would advise you take atleast one essay subject and choose wisely on the 2 or 3 subjects you want to do.
Law A-Level is fine. I do it and I think it’s very interesting, particularly Year 2 stuff. Criminology I don’t think is an actual A-Level.
I think I know what the majority of people would pick
Sociology, politics, economics, philosophy, history, law
Law would be better than Criminology as not all Unis accept Criminology
Anything that isn't visual/creative art, drama or photography (If you are really interested in one of these kinds of subjects and know you can get a great grade then probably take a maximum of 1).

I know that unis have no problem with applicants who take only maths and hard sciences but I would highly, highly advise one essay-based subject to get you into the rhythm of making structured, cohesive arguments. I took History and Law and can confirm they did me a world of good.
Original post by shobnaam x
I want to go on to study Law at university but I don’t know whether to pick Law or criminology.
Law at most unis don’t have any subject requirements. Many people say A-level law is boring and that criminology is very interesting and enjoyable. Can’t decideeeee

If you want to study law at university then then of course you should do A-level law of criminology lol 😂
For A levels,take essay based subjects as they are highly respected and recommended.Particularly,English Literature,History,Politics and Sociology as they develop critical analytical skills.Taking law as an A level is not required to study it at university and was previously recognised to be a disadvantage due to the contrast of law at A level and in university

Latest

Trending

Trending