azcx666
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm quite conflicted between choosing UCL Arts and Science (with a year abroad in Spain) or Edinburgh Spanish and History. My friends and family all wish me to go to UCL because of its prestige, career prospects, location and all, but I'm not sure if this course fits me. I really really want to graduate being fluent in Spanish, and I want to focus my studies in humanities. I Know Arts and Sci has a core language module, but it is just 15 credits per year. Also, since it's called an Arts and Science program, I have to pick a science subject, but I really do not like chem/physics/math and stuff.

I'm really conflicted, guys please help me out. I love humanities, I hate math, I really want to learn Spanish. course wise, it seems that Edinburgh's course fits my interests like its made for me. but please tell me more about the Arts and Science program (how's the language learning experience / do you have to study math and science / can you sort of focus your study in humanities etc). also, what about comparison between UCL and Edinburgh in terms of career prospects? internship opportunities? student experience in general? academic life? social life? dating life? (Edinburgh has a very big difference in terms of female and male student bodies, is it hard to find a boyfriend?) which uni is more stressful?

I've also applied to UCL History (with a year abroad), I'm also not quite sure about this either, because they don't have a year abroad with Spain and only give you 30 credits for taking course outside the department (I really want to study a wide range beside history, while focus on history and Spanish). but please, if you know about this program, I would also love to know as much as possible.

so... UCL Arts and Sci or UCL history with a year abroad or Edinburgh Spanish and History

just tell me anything, the more the better. please help me out. thank you so much!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Edinburgh would have the opportunity to work there in the summer for the Festival Fringe for a month or so. There is not the same in London.

I think you need to consider what kind of place suits you. London is not for everyone, Edinburgh too small for some.
Noodlelover
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Edinburgh is still highly prestigious. It's around top 20th in the world. It's also very international so you'd be able to interact and speak with a lot of other Spanish students.
Personally I would say choose the course you enjoy the most as this is what you're going to be studying for the next 3/4 years.

I've done a lot of research into Edinburgh university as it's my top choice (still waiting for an offer though :/) . I visited it during December to see how it's like and one of my friends gave me a little tour and i fell in love with the uni even more. The buildings are just so beautiful .The facilities there are great too. The city is lively and the Scottish are really friendly. The nightlife is good as well since there are various clubs with different genres of music.
From what my friend told me the hook up culture is pretty big and with a such a diverse range of students i'm sure you won't have a problem meeting new guys.

What I like about Edinburgh is that it's not too big so but big enough that the city vibe is there and there's always something to do. You're unlikely to feel lonely like some people in London feel (this usually because London is a pretty big city so unless you're in a student accommodation with nice people it's a lot more challenging to make friends since people go do their own thing).

Overall, i'm sure both unis will provide you with excellent career opportunities. Congratulations for your offers.

Good luck with deciding
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by azcx666)
I'm quite conflicted between choosing UCL Arts and Science (with a year abroad in Spain) or Edinburgh Spanish and History. My friends and family all wish me to go to UCL because of its prestige, career prospects, location and all, but I'm not sure if this course fits me. I really really want to graduate being fluent in Spanish, and I want to focus my studies in humanities. I Know Arts and Sci has a core language module, but it is just 15 credits per year. Also, since it's called an Arts and Science program, I have to pick a science subject, but I really do not like chem/physics/math and stuff.

I'm really conflicted, guys please help me out. I love humanities, I hate math, I really want to learn Spanish. course wise, it seems that Edinburgh's course fits my interests like its made for me. but please tell me more about the Arts and Science program (how's the language learning experience / do you have to study math and science / can you sort of focus your study in humanities etc). also, what about comparison between UCL and Edinburgh in terms of career prospects? internship opportunities? student experience in general? academic life? social life? dating life? (Edinburgh has a very big difference in terms of female and male student bodies, is it hard to find a boyfriend?) which uni is more stressful?

I've also applied to UCL History (with a year abroad), I'm also not quite sure about this either, because they don't have a year abroad with Spain and only give you 30 credits for taking course outside the department (I really want to study a wide range beside history, while focus on history and Spanish). but please, if you know about this program, I would also love to know as much as possible.

so... UCL Arts and Sci or UCL history with a year abroad or Edinburgh Spanish and History

just tell me anything, the more the better. please help me out. thank you so much!
You don't have to study maths at UCL What research have you done on the structure of the BASc?
azcx666
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You don't have to study maths at UCL What research have you done on the structure of the BASc?
yes i know that. but i'm quite worried it might involve a lot of science. since it is required for students major in culture/societies to pick one module in science each year, I was wondering if all the science courses are all very demanding science courses that involves math. basically, i'm wondering if someone like me who hates science and math, would still be able to enjoy every subject I have to study.
azcx666
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlelover)
Edinburgh is still highly prestigious. It's around top 20th in the world. It's also very international so you'd be able to interact and speak with a lot of other Spanish students.
Personally I would say choose the course you enjoy the most as this is what you're going to be studying for the next 3/4 years.

I've done a lot of research into Edinburgh university as it's my top choice (still waiting for an offer though :/) . I visited it during December to see how it's like and one of my friends gave me a little tour and i fell in love with the uni even more. The buildings are just so beautiful .The facilities there are great too. The city is lively and the Scottish are really friendly. The nightlife is good as well since there are various clubs with different genres of music.
From what my friend told me the hook up culture is pretty big and with a such a diverse range of students i'm sure you won't have a problem meeting new guys.

What I like about Edinburgh is that it's not too big so but big enough that the city vibe is there and there's always something to do. You're unlikely to feel lonely like some people in London feel (this usually because London is a pretty big city so unless you're in a student athis ccommodation with nice people it's a lot more challenging to make friends since people go do their own thing).

Overall, i'm sure both unis will provide you with excellent career opportunities. Congratulations for your offers.

Good luck with deciding
this sounds quite re-assuring. thank you very much!
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yes i know that. but i'm quite worried it might involve a lot of science. since it is required for students major in culture/societies to pick one module in science each year, I was wondering if all the science courses are all very demanding science courses that involves math. basically, i'm wondering if someone like me who hates science and math, would still be able to enjoy every subject I have to study.
If you choose Cultures as your major you can opt for Health and Environment as your minor; from the latter there are options for Anthropology and Psychology, which won't require much maths or science. However, some of the compulsory core modules might prove to be a challenge.
azcx666
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If you choose Cultures as your major you can opt for Health and Environment as your minor; from the latter there are options for Anthropology and Psychology, which won't require much maths or science. However, some of the compulsory core modules might prove to be a challenge.
for example? I know there is a core course called quantitative method and mathematical thinking which sounds quite intimidating. I'm currently struggling in IB Math standard level, is going to BASc a good idea?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
for example? I know there is a core course called quantitative method and mathematical thinking which sounds quite intimidating. I'm currently struggling in IB Math standard level, is going to BASc a good idea?
That's the one I noted in particular.

I'm very keen on the BASc, not as an applicant but as someone now retired. I found my ability to be able to work across different disciplines during my career to be of great importance.

However, that's me not you and I have no idea where your skills really lie. Have you looked at the videos made by BASc students? Or checked out the relevant threads on TSR?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (322)
34.29%
No (617)
65.71%

Watched Threads