The Student Room Group

[Official] Trinity College Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thefundude83
med interview went ****

IKR!

which interview did you find worse? firz or hughes?
Reply 61
Original post by FuryBall
This is odd. I think your school should contact Trinity college just in case. Please check with your school about the kinds of documents they sent to the college. They may have made mistakes or couldn't understand how the Swedish system compared to A-levels. It is worth checking because I know some people who were rejected pre-interview last year because their teachers forgot to predict them an A* for further maths (it was an A instead) and this was for Maths + CS back when it existed.

I appreciate your reply! I contacted Trinity and they could confirm that the documents I had sent by mail had arrived and among those I sent a special clarification from my principal explaining briefly what my grades actually entailed (straight A's are very unusual). It is possible some other part was missing but I seriously doubt it. Will ask for feedback in january but I honestly have no idea what messed my application up. Could just be bad luck? I mean, applications are always somewhat arbitrary...
So now that the maths interviews are over, how did everyone find them?
I think it went alright for me overall, I did 4 and a half questions in the test and a further 3 and a half in the interview, and I felt like my explanations were generally ok. It’s hard to tell though and I kept going on the wrong track in a mechanics question in the interview. I’m hoping I’ve done enough for at least a place somewhere at Cambridge, if not Trinity. How about everyone else?
I did 3 questions fully and half of 2 more in the test, which I then finished in the interview along with a further 4 and a brief verbal attempt at the last one at the end.

During the interview my brain kinda shut down on one of the questions and I had to have a lot of hints, which I’m a bit worried about, and also my verbal explanations could definitely have been clearer at times. Apart from that though, it went okay I think; I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
Reply 65
I did about 2 fulls in the test and another 3 in the interview. I thought the interview went quite well, but hopefully the test won't drag me down.
My son said that he was given 9 math problems and 8 science problems. Then the math problems are pretty easy, so he did all. He did 7 full science problems in the test, the other one he said he did not understand what the problem said. Then during the interview, professor explain the problem, and he solved it. We come from US, so we have no idea if this is good or not. My son thought the science problem is easy, at least easier than he thought. Did everyone do the same problems? or, professor assigned the problems according to some reason? He applied Nature Science( Physics).
I've applied the BESS and already got the offer, Ive also applied the university of Toronto, Durham and UCD.Do we have any kind of group chat now? May you add me in if there's any related group chat?? Thanks sooooo much.
Original post by GreenCub
I couldn't find a thread for Trinity in the forum this year, so I thought I'd make one.

What subject are you applying for?

What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades?

What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done?

Why Trinity?

What other universities are you applying to?

Economics
All 9's and 4A*
Compeititions, attended summer school and extra classes at universities
lots of places for economics
LSE UCL Leeds Notts
Original post by chicle
ahh my fellow Trinity econ applicant!
how u feeling about the 15th? I'm feeling certi about my rejection pahaha, absolutely flopped my interview, thanks anxiety...

lol, same boat, convinced myself of rejection so looking forward to the 15th and finally having it off my head
Reply 70
Original post by Student230402
lol, same boat, convinced myself of rejection so looking forward to the 15th and finally having it off my head

same ahaha the only hope I'm clinging onto is that they might have felt bad for me bcos I was pretty much crying by the end of it but I guess it actually just shows I'm too weak to cope with Cambridge pressure so oops
Original post by chicle
same ahaha the only hope I'm clinging onto is that they might have felt bad for me bcos I was pretty much crying by the end of it but I guess it actually just shows I'm too weak to cope with Cambridge pressure so oops

Yh I thought that too, if I crumbled that hard in the interview maybe i would be better going elsewhere anyway
All these maths lot answered like 6-7+ questions altogether and I barely answered 4-5 😭
Trinity is amazing but I really shouldve chosen elsewhere if I wanted to be realistic about getting an offer
Reply 73
Original post by 3pointonefour
All these maths lot answered like 6-7+ questions altogether and I barely answered 4-5 😭
Trinity is amazing but I really shouldve chosen elsewhere if I wanted to be realistic about getting an offer

How many people did 6-7? I barely did 2
How many people did 6-7? I barely did 2

I mean in both the test and the interview
Reply 75
I mean in both the test and the interview

I see - that's slightly more reassuring on my part. I did about 2 fulls (I say "about" because I made a minor mistake with the axes the wrong way round for one of the questions) and finished off another 3 of my partials in the interview, so 5 overall. I'm a bit worried that I actually needed too much hinting in the interview but I have no way of telling how others did. Hoping my test won't be a deal breaker.

How was your interview itself?
I see - that's slightly more reassuring on my part. I did about 2 fulls (I say "about" because I made a minor mistake with the axes the wrong way round for one of the questions) and finished off another 3 of my partials in the interview, so 5 overall. I'm a bit worried that I actually needed too much hinting in the interview but I have no way of telling how others did. Hoping my test won't be a deal breaker.

How was your interview itself?

In the test I did 2 full answers and 2 half answers. So the interview was me going through the 2 half answers + 1 extra question. I feel like I came across as too cautious in the interview (like every step I did I was waiting for them to say I was wrong or something) and there were too many long silences. I did a few good things like correcting myself when I made an assumption/mistake but definitely not enough for Trinity.

How did yours go?
Reply 77
In the test I did 2 full answers and 2 half answers. So the interview was me going through the 2 half answers + 1 extra question. I feel like I came across as too cautious in the interview (like every step I did I was waiting for them to say I was wrong or something) and there were too many long silences. I did a few good things like correcting myself when I made an assumption/mistake but definitely not enough for Trinity.

How did yours go?

Despite what I've been saying about myself, you still shouldn't 100% rule out the possibility you might get an offer. I talked to someone saying that you only have to be as good as the weakest offer holder to get a trinity offer, even though the "average" offer holder might do more questions.

I thought my interview was at least "okay" and I managed to pick up on hints quite well when one of my interviewers was asking me questions (I don't think there really were long silences). However I think I needed more prompting when the other interviewer went through a question I'd partially completed and also at the beginning I stalled a little when asked why if n^2 is odd then n is odd and initially explained the converse but then I corrected it straight away. I still think it can't have looked too good when one of the interviewers was looking at all my incomplete test solutions...

How "cautious" do you mean you were? I was a little hesitant to assert that I thought I was correct when going over one of my "full" solutions and said things like "it's probably wrong" which I probably shouldn't have.
Despite what I've been saying about myself, you still shouldn't 100% rule out the possibility you might get an offer. I talked to someone saying that you only have to be as good as the weakest offer holder to get a trinity offer, even though the "average" offer holder might do more questions.

I thought my interview was at least "okay" and I managed to pick up on hints quite well when one of my interviewers was asking me questions (I don't think there really were long silences). However I think I needed more prompting when the other interviewer went through a question I'd partially completed and also at the beginning I stalled a little when asked why if n^2 is odd then n is odd and initially explained the converse but then I corrected it straight away. I still think it can't have looked too good when one of the interviewers was looking at all my incomplete test solutions...

How "cautious" do you mean you were? I was a little hesitant to assert that I thought I was correct when going over one of my "full" solutions and said things like "it's probably wrong" which I probably shouldn't have.

Well thanks for the reassurance but I think I'd rather not get my hopes up in case of the worst 😂.
When I say cautious I mean saying stupid stuff like "Should I let x equal to d or x approach d" even though in that situation it wouldn't matter.
Either way it was still an amazing experience even if the highlight of my interview was noticing that a function was odd.
Reply 79
Well thanks for the reassurance but I think I'd rather not get my hopes up in case of the worst 😂.
When I say cautious I mean saying stupid stuff like "Should I let x equal to d or x approach d" even though in that situation it wouldn't matter.
Either way it was still an amazing experience even if the highlight of my interview was noticing that a function was odd.

I'll try not to say too much (confidentiality) but it is possible I did the same test as you. I think it would've been very difficult for somebody to spot the odd function by themselves though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending