The Student Room Group

Higher English 2019-2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maggie-xx
Would you mind emailing them to me?

Sure, DM me your email and i’ll send it off. As long as you don’t use it word for word tho 👍
Has anyone got tips on writing a good creative piece for their folio? I would've done a reflective piece but I wouldn't have anything interesting enough to reflect on.

My problem is I don't feel I can write anything that doesn't sound really cringey. I got 20/30 on my folio last year but because I suck at Jekyll and Hyde and our Essay, my folio really needs boosted. My teacher has already helped me to up my discursive piece and try and get it into the 13-15 category but my creative writing is really letting me down. The best I could probably get on my creative is about a 6 if I'm going to be completely honest. I'm trying to improve my creative writing by using keeping the thesaurus open at all times but I feel like I'm just chucking in too many big words that it just seems unnatural. I've read past examples so I know the type of work the SQA is looking for, I'm just struggling to get my work to that standard.
Original post by SchuylerSister22
Has anyone got tips on writing a good creative piece for their folio? I would've done a reflective piece but I wouldn't have anything interesting enough to reflect on.

My problem is I don't feel I can write anything that doesn't sound really cringey. I got 20/30 on my folio last year but because I suck at Jekyll and Hyde and our Essay, my folio really needs boosted. My teacher has already helped me to up my discursive piece and try and get it into the 13-15 category but my creative writing is really letting me down. The best I could probably get on my creative is about a 6 if I'm going to be completely honest. I'm trying to improve my creative writing by using keeping the thesaurus open at all times but I feel like I'm just chucking in too many big words that it just seems unnatural. I've read past examples so I know the type of work the SQA is looking for, I'm just struggling to get my work to that standard.

Read loads of short stories! This will give you a great feel for the style and flow of them. I’d recommend only 1 or 2 main characters and 1 major plot point which the whole story builds up to. Roald Dahl and Daphne Du Maurier (maybe not the right spelling) are great authors to look at. Also remember some of your marks come from how well you write in the style of a short story, not just how well written it is. Hope this helps!
Original post by Catriona23
Read loads of short stories! This will give you a great feel for the style and flow of them. I’d recommend only 1 or 2 main characters and 1 major plot point which the whole story builds up to. Roald Dahl and Daphne Du Maurier (maybe not the right spelling) are great authors to look at. Also remember some of your marks come from how well you write in the style of a short story, not just how well written it is. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help and responding so quickly! :smile:
Original post by pb2019K
Hi there, I am in the same position. I was wondering if there would be a possibility that you could maybe forward these to me if that would be okay? Im studing death of a salesman as my critical essay and im very lost on where to start? x

Yeah sure no problem!
Original post by Maggie-xx
Is there any chance you could mail me your great gatsby essays?x

Yeah sure hope it helps!
Hello, looking for advice on how to get better at my critical essay writing, currently doing a film (Shawshank Redemption) and am really struggling with timing and the quality of my writing. Also, what is the ideal number of main paragraphs? Does writing more necessarily mean more marks or more potential to get full marks? How do I write to a better standard? Last year I didn't do so well in the Critical reading side, but my portfolio and close reading saved me. So I really want to get better at writing these essays under time conditions. We have only done a film currently. Look forward to the help, thanks.
What helps me is to have a solid and adaptable introduction and conclusion which sets you in good stead for your essay.
I have a serious question.

I have a prelim on monday and the teacher decided to ditch us until prelim (not in school even though she told us she would come) and she wanted to blast through RUAE however she won’t and she did not taught us how to do the last question 5 marker. So how do you do it?

And also if you’re doing a book for critical text and do the elsewhere part in 10 marker are you able to just write a statement rather than a quote if you forgot it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
I have a serious question.

I have a prelim on monday and the teacher decided to ditch us until prelim (not in school even though she told us she would come) and she wanted to blast through RUAE however she won’t and she did not taught us how to do the last question 5 marker. So how do you do it?

And also if you’re doing a book for critical text and do the elsewhere part in 10 marker are you able to just write a statement rather than a quote if you forgot it?

So you need three areas in which the two passages agree/disagree. Quote to support your point (like:

Areas in which they agree:

The importance of social media:
- passage 1 thinks that “” which suggests that most teenagers spend their free time online
- passage 2 agrees that “”

But three times)

You get one mark for one point, 5 for three well developed points.
Oh god. English prelim on monday, and I haven’t prepared for it cause the teacher decided to do jekyll for critical text and one of the Maccaig poems for essay 😤
Original post by Kubsyy
Oh god. English prelim on monday, and I haven’t prepared for it cause the teacher decided to do jekyll for critical text and one of the Maccaig poems for essay 😤

I’m in the same position and my teacher went off to maternity leave so I have no clue what I’m doing for Jekyll & Hyde :frown:
Original post by 4TheBrighterSide
I’m in the same position and my teacher went off to maternity leave so I have no clue what I’m doing for Jekyll
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
I’m in the same position and my teacher went off to maternity leave so I have no clue what I’m doing for Jekyll

It says you just quoted me :confused::confused:
It says you just quoted me :confused::confused:

Oh. Probably a glitch. I was saying if you’re doing jekyll for essay or critical text cause I have quotes that might be helpful
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
Oh. Probably a glitch. I was saying if you’re doing jekyll for essay or critical text cause I have quotes that might be helpful

Yeah, that happens. I would really appreciate that, if you don’t mind passing them on of course :biggrin:
Yeah, that happens. I would really appreciate that, if you don’t mind passing them on of course

There you go:

75BBAF3E-E3F3-402E-B4F7-0B0143111B99.jpeg88DED78F-51D2-4510-B3BC-C2B98FD56546.jpeg40411654-E534-42B4-B698-AA82A0542725.jpeg
sorry if it’s not in order.
and let me know if you can’t see them :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
There you go:

75BBAF3E-E3F3-402E-B4F7-0B0143111B99.jpeg88DED78F-51D2-4510-B3BC-C2B98FD56546.jpeg40411654-E534-42B4-B698-AA82A0542725.jpeg
sorry if it’s not in order.
and let me know if you can’t see them :smile:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :h:
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :h:

You’re welcome, I wanted to send it through pm but I couldn’t do that on my phone so I decided to put here so that anybody could have them.
Original post by Kubsyy
You’re welcome, I wanted to send it through pm but I couldn’t do that on my phone so I decided to put here so that anybody could have them.

Yeah, it was a great help, thanks again!! How are you feeling about your English prelim tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending